Hey Blizzard, Classic Dungeons Are Fun

It’s time to come to terms with that fact that there are players who do enjoy the way old dungeons worked and would enjoy it if modern WoW provided players with that experience.

There’s no reason why this has to be a mutually exclusive inclusion in modern WoW either.

MODERATOR: This was erroneously placed into the Classic Discussion by Moderation. This topic is not regarding Classic Servers. Please return this thread to General Discussion. Thanks.

56 Likes

What exactly about old dungeons do you like that isn’t in modern dungeons that you want to see?

11 Likes

A LOT less fire on the floor.
MORE tank and spank bosses

37 Likes

Most of contemporary WoW’s damage isn’t even the proverbial “fire”, rather, it’s invisible unavoidable AoE “gear check” damage.

I like that it’s a tactical, methodical, crawl. The complete opposite of modern WoW’s Diablo 3 inspired speed run damage spamfest.

80 Likes

I like complex punishing mechanics and m+, OP. If you like classic dungeons, go play classic. Seems pretty obvious to me.

16 Likes

So do I. Mythic + isn’t that.

Or, you know, they could provide both experiences for both play styles.

25 Likes

That’s exactly what classic WoW does. I’m not sure I see what point you’re trying to make.

14 Likes

Classic WoW is Classic WoW. I want Classic Style Dungeons as a activity I can run with my contemporary WoW characters.

Really, this isn’t rocket science.

43 Likes

No, it kinda is rocket science when you think about what it would take to implement it. Making it like that across all the dungeons currently would destroy m+. Making some sort of “classic mode” dungeons would be like making a new dungeon. Blizz seems to have a hard enough time balancing the dungeons already, and your idea would make it worse.

5 Likes

What were some “complex punishing mechanics” in vanilla dungeons?

8 Likes

I never asked for your precious mythic+ dungeon experienced to be changed. I literally said the exact opposite.

11 Likes

Reading is hard, I see.

Crowd control, kill order, pull order, positioning.

38 Likes

And you’ve somehow managed to convince yourself that none of these things are in M+?

21 Likes

And you seem to think that "Gear Check " mechanics have anything to do with what you think we are talking about.

18 Likes

There is absolutely nothing complicated about classic dungeons… or raids for that matter, they are all basically “gear check”, there is no mechanics at all.

15 Likes

There’s nothing “complicated” about Mythic+ dungeons…

You obviously didn’t play the game back then if you think this is even remotely true.

12 Likes

Kill order and positioning as well as the occasional crowd control are necessary in M+ at higher levels. Maybe not all the time, but at least they are part of it.

4 Likes
  1. Crowd control was generally useful and in some cases near-mandatory depending on group comp and level differentials. In today’s WoW AoE burn it down mentality (and design) makes crowd control more of a rarity at best. It’s used, but it’s not really as make-or-break, and I wish it weren’t the case because crowd control and the like feel like they separate the wheat from the chaff.
  2. Methodic pace was the name of the game. You didn’t blast through at high speed in most dungeons unless you outleveled or geared it to some extent. Each dungeon felt like an understaking, and even though that slowed the pace of gearing up, it made the dungeon itself feel more like an adventure. Current dungeons feel like something that I simply tick the boxes for a loot pinata.
  3. Relevance of threat, patrols, and adds, was a thing. The threat based tanking might not be everyones cup of tea, and that’s OK, but to me that matters. Yes, it might be 15-20 seconds of letting the tank beat stuff before I start, but it could be punishing if you didn’t. It meant that there were rules to be respected, and the world felt like you were it’s play thing if you weren’t careful. Patrols could ruin your day if you weren’t attentive, and adds were something that you did everything you could to avoid.
  4. Time commitment mattered. There wasn’t really this sense that a 15-20 minute run was the normal expectation. We all have responsibilities, of course, so three hour dungeons aren’t necessarily ideal. At the same time, a dungeon just doesn’t feel “substantial” when the play style is “burn through it so I can leave in 15 minutes”.
  5. Atmosphere of a dungeon was more of a dungeon “crawl” as one person said. This meant that, for me, it felt like we were penetrating the depths of an enemy bastion or lair. By contrast, most modern dungeons burn by so fast that it doesn’t “feel” like anything but a race to the loot.
  6. Personal responsibility mattered a lot. It might have been annoying to have mobs you have to interrupt in every dungeon, and it might be annoying to have to babysit a crowd controlled mob while also pulling your weight, but it was important. It was important because not doing so could lead to a wipe. It might have felt boring or tedious to some people, but it meant that your job had actual value beyond faceless damage.
51 Likes

Says the druid.

Nobody playing a turret class agrees with you.

2 Likes