Herald of the Sun lacks impact in naming

The recent hero tree blog brought about some neat things to look forward to for each represented specializations so far. Though I would like to point out that Paladin’s Herald of the Sun is arguably good and straightforward in its mechanics and what it’s trying to go for in gameplay. It’s good in the theme it’s supposed to represent.

The problem of course is just…what fantasy is that exactly?

As far as I know there are two references in Paladin lore where the Sun is kind of seen as a source of power but for Blood Elves that magic is taken from the Sunwell and for Taurens it’s from An’she.

Neither of these are named in the Paladin talents themselves and it feels like there’s just a lack of engagement with theming the talents around the lore while Druids get a direct nod to Elune with their talent tree.

It would be neat if Herald of the Sun got changed in naming to also be a reflection of something in game that is in direct alignment to the morning sun itself than just kind of existing in a design space for design purposes.

3 Likes

I see only two options to make this fair in terms of nomenclature and theme.

Either keep the Sun nomenclature to sort of reference both An’she and the blood elves’ sun deity while also stripping the Elune name from the druid trees, simply dubbing it “Moon”, or be consistent with the direct usage of Elune in the druid trees by naming the Herald of the Sun’s whole tree after An’she (while making the active spell have a bit of a sunnier hue).

If the excuse that not every paladin follows in An’she’s faith holds for paladins, then it also holds for druids and Elune, which is very tightly connected to the night elves.

1 Like

I’d actually disagree I think Herald of the Sun fits because if they went with An’she then it doesn’t fit non-tauren and then if they say Belore that is too elven. The sun theme between those two races are from different forms of reverence so it makes sense. There are no abilities currently named after An’she since only one race worships him.

Elune’s Chosen makes sense to be named after since Elune is universally the moon goddess. Night elves, worgen, trolls and tauren all acknowledge Elune one way or another. Most of the races were also taught druidism by the night elves so it makes sense to use their nomenclature.

Elune because of how inherit she is to people playing the spec with their spells. Like their CD’s Incarnation: Chosen of Elune, Elune’s Fury or Guardian of Elune.

1 Like