Heirlooms=No azerite on leveling characters. How do we feel about that?

Honestly I hate leveling and I have over a dozen alts now and I’m just happy to have the bonus exp unlocked. I think people bring up valid points and I personally would like chest, shoulders and helm to scale higher than Antorus epics but lower than Azerite. I think people forget you don’t typically unlock the third piece of azerite until lvl 115+, assuming you picked the right pieces with right traits. Even so the leveling pieces are intentionally “trash”, and intended to be ditched and upgraded. We definitely don’t want those traits being awesome and never wanting to replace them although I wish vampiric speed was present more frequently.

That said I’ll pay your prices and I hope you just remember to balance the stats because in previous expansions, especially Legion, you screwed it up while in Draenor it was the most alt and crafting friendly expansion. I really wish you’d go back to ilvl 110/111 gear with tiered upgrade systems, the consequences be damned. I know you hate geared lvl 110s but I think that’s probably the best balanced twinking this game ever had for both pvp and pve.

The problem isnt the azerite traits, it’s the sheer stats that you’re going to miss out on. We’re going to need the heirlooms to scale really weirdly for it to even be remotely not terrible. Look at the stats on your 280 azerite pieces when you first get them. The whole reason leveling gets slower towards 120 isnt the legendaries being less useful like many seem to think, it’s that we’re catching up to our azerite pieces.

To be honest I don’t really see the point in the argument here about the 110 - 120 leveling experience. a lot of people use the Island Expedition system to level alts to 120 it’s by far the fastest way to level up. without heirloom’s it’s only approximately 6 hours with heirlooms I think you could easily cut that time in half - 3 hours. An Island will give you a pretty good head-start at leveling your Heart of Azeroth as well. personally I’ve leveled 3 alts through Islands an with the ease of gear acquisition through WQ’s, incursions, emissaries, warfront’s, world bosses, an dungeons you can easily be at or above 355 ilvl in a week, maybe even higher if you’re in a decent guild that’ll help you progress through raids.

1 Like

I don’t really think they need to bother. Leveling content isn’t really hard enough that you need those traits.

Azerite pieces don’t have any secondary. So unless the traits is outstanding, the secondary stats and exp buff on heirlooms more than makes up for it.

edit : also as someone said, more than likely the azerite gear will lose their powers like the artifacts did. The heirlooms aren’t going away.

The azerite pieces also have much higher primary stats; presumably because of no secondaries.

I guess we’ll have to see if the secondaries make up for that.

Man, you would have thought people would have been thrilled to have heirlooms available at all.

But seriously, half those Azerite traits in leveling gear hardly do anything. I’ll happily take heirlooms.

3 Likes

I have tried queuing for islands solo as a way to level. Of the 6 times I did it I got kicked 5 times before we even hit the first mob. The other time didn’t seem like it was all that stellar of XP to me as we didn’t have a tank to pull everything en masse.

It seems it might be a great way if you have a stacked tank to pull the whole island and you have a good AE class to carry you through. You can probably clear the whole island in about 5 minutes and profit.

For the most, I would agree the traits aren’t a big deal while leveling in terms of efficiency compared to just secondary stats, outside of resounding protection. That said, a lot of traits significantly improve the way a spec is played, especially the non-stackable one of effects.

I just leveled my rogue as assassination for example, and it would have felt awful without the extra 2-4 combo points every fight from shrouded suffocation. Considering how bland class gameplay already is in BFA, having to gut yourself even further if you want to level faster is pretty bleh.

All of this stuff should have been in the necklace from the start.

Make some heirloom-only traits so that once you hit 110, there’s at least something.

I think you all are probably peeing into the wind. I’m about fairly convinced heirlooms are just something they tolerate now cause they can’t take them out or people would rage at the loss of resources spent on them.

Heirloom armor is supposed to A) give you a xp boost for faster leveling through tedious areas, and B) keep your gear somewhat current. The keyword being somewhat. Compared level vs level, heirloom armor should not be the BIS. Blues and epics will almost always be better. However Heirloom armor shines when you hit that next level and the armor levels with you, now giving more ilvl and suddenly you meet/exceed the previous blues that were better. So your heirloom chest may only be 90% of an Azerite chest at lvl 111, but when you hit 112, it will likely equal it, and at 113 exceed your Azerite piece unless you have found new gear. The gear picked up while leveling is rather pointless anyways as it just gets replaced with you hit 120, making the whole history of what you once wore moot.

Thats my dream.

personally I’d like to see them come out with a new set of heirlooms the current models are ranging from 4 years to 9 years OLD

1 Like

No one with a soul leaves their heirlooms non-transmogged beyond level 20 (Yak-access)…

Only players that, like, don’t name their hunter pets actually leave their heirlooms visible for that long. :wink:

1 Like

I tried making this point about 3 hours ago with my post above #64 i believe where once you hit 120 everything is pretty much obsolete within hours of popin 120, with the ease of access to gear from WQ’s, incursions, warfronts, emissaries, an dungeons.

There’s a crafted item, called Course Leather Barding, you can buy or make with cheap mats that does the same thing. Pretty sure there’s no level restriction once you’re in BfA since I used them on my shaman to gather herbs and she wasnt 120 for quite awhile.

I’d personally like to see them made Player Crafted and Upgrades made available to the relevant crafters. Make them require a vendor piece in the recipe if you absolutely HAVE to have a gold dump.

personally I don’t use heirlooms nearly all my characters are 110 or above, atm 5x 120’s. the last 3 i leveled via Islands exclusively, from 110 to 120 in less then 6 hours. The only characters I would ever use heirlooms on would be allied races if I was going after the heritage armor tmog.

An by the way I always name my pets, usually always the name of the rare NPC that was tamed, at the moments after taming it.

Azerite gear (aside from the neck) is a non-issue 110-120. You can level the whole thing in 110 easily enough. Tanks could just upgrade with quest greens the whole way and no one would really notice. Azerite isn’t even remotely make-or-break