Healing is a Chore

Between World of Meleecraft, burst damage, and non-existent stun DR, healing was already kind of a thankless chore. And all for stingy gear from a convoluted system along with borderline depressing prestige rewards.

Now, with the mana regen changes, it’s even worse. This is most evident in the brawl Southshore vs Tarren Mill.

I would encourage the PvP team to go and try healing one. (I know it’s a stretch asking them to eat their own cooking, but one can hope.) It’s literally heal for one or two minutes (if that), drink, heal for one or two minutes, drink. Rinse, repeat.

There’s no inherent challenge in this type of gameplay. It’s just aggravating. Mana does not feel like a ‘critical resource’ in a large protracted team fight. You’re required to dump your mana in order to heal it. I feel like this type of thinking is better suited to a slower pace, but it doesn’t fit here.

There’s a lot of rabid superfans who will defend the game no matter what they do, right up until servers start closing. I would just encourage the team to play it for themselves. The intent of the change did not come through. It’s simply annoying, clunky gameplay.

13 Likes

I seen so many healers drinking in the new brawl, youre right.
I feel like blizzard is trying to kill the game these days tbh. that way they can justify pulling the plug like with heroes of the storm.

2 Likes

Melee specs suffer in this format too, tickling people at the front line and retreating when damaged while casters happily bomb the enemy from the back.

There’s a reason it’s a brawl. It’s intended to be a stupid, fun change of pace that goes away in a week. If you’re not enjoying it because your role isn’t conducive to its structure… or if you’re not enjoying it for any reason at all, don’t play it.

7 Likes

As an aside, could you imagine how awful specs would be in formats that matter (arena/RBGs) if they were designed with 40v40 death matches in mind? Why would you expect strong balance here?

I mean, that doesn’t really make sense. Whenever anyone dares criticize any aspect of the game, I don’t think a valid defense is, “Well, just don’t play it.”

The brawl used to be fun for healing. Now it isn’t. I would argue it’s borderline broken. I’d like that to change, rather than throwing up my hands and abandoning it then retiring to the forums to defend the change. It’s kind of indicative of a broader problem, and that to me is that the mana regen nerf was the wrong way to go. Healing was already thankless and irritating. Not only in the brawl, but in battlegrounds in general. You should be able to play your character for more than a minute at a time. It’s just silly.

3 Likes

I’ll almost always agree with you on this, but the particular setting being discussed is an exception.

I hate when, say, a raid is really unbalanced and people suggest that the complainers should just not participate. Raiding is a core component of the end-game experience for a ton of players.

Battleground brawls, on the other hand, are something else entirely. It is difficult to balance specs with brawls in mind without ruining them in other areas of the game. Brawls are not at the center of class balance for the same reason that dueler’s guild is not.

It would not be positive to revert the mana changes and once again facilitate drawn-out, high dampening arena games so that healers can better enjoy the 40v40 brawl when it comes up once in a blue moon.

Also:

The healing role may not be for you.

1 Like

I would not be against the mana nerfs only applying to arena.

Battleground gameplay is different and it just doesn’t feel good right now to be a healer in larger maps where more than 2 people are taking constant damage.

9 Likes

I’ll chime in on this but from a slightly different view point…

I find healing as holy is now extremely frantic. If a dps pops cds and is attacking one of my team, I find I HAVE to pop avenging wrath, wait for the gcd, pop holy avenger, wait for the gcd, pop divine favor (depending on the situation), wait for the gcd, and then finally start healing…my experience so far has been if I dont…I simply cant catch up with the healing.

Any other pallys experience this at all? Or healers for that matter?

1 Like

That seems like an aweful amount of cool downs. I think you and your dps need to learn to mitigate the damage to prevent using so much cooldowns.

2 Likes

When your crit chance is below 20% and you have 0 control over obtaining pvp gear that would help improve it…it doesn’t leave me many options (I don’t pve) and as for the dps I’m simply referring to random bg’s, so the teammates are random as well :confused:

1 Like

Grab the light grace talent or w/e it’s call and divine favor. Holy light helps alleviate most of the damage if you get it up to 3 stacks. You don’t need higher than 20% crit for holy shock proc. In fact, I know someone who played with 12% crit and 24% haste at a high rating last season because he hated relying on getting procs.

I think burst could be stand to be toned down across the board. Outside of extreme circumstances, players really shouldn’t go from 100 → 0 in an instant. If burst wasn’t so nutso, healing with a small mana pool would feel more reasonable.

2 Likes

Look at my selected talents, I have them :confused: …just my experience anyways

Yeah mb, I didn’t check because I’m on my phone and looking up someone is a hassle when using my phone instead of my computer.

I guess just practice and you’ll eventually see result

Comming from a rdruid really ? Lel

^Yep. I had a “first” tonight though: a hordie lock I saved from a rogue scolding me for doing hybrid util on the backlines, then saying I should be using a prot talent even though I’m ret. So, don’t worry allies, there are dumb horde too.

Oh god Pipi, I know all too well that neither faction is exempt from windowlickers :joy:

Just today alone while playing my horde ele: Our healer called me out for not doing big damage. Nevermind that I was busy peeling for said healer with Hex, Capacitator, Windshearing the casters on her and Frostshocking the melee to give her space. Oh well, I stopped using my utility and going all-out damage…then I had to ask her why she was suddenly dying so much :stuck_out_tongue:

Playing my alliance monk later on (lower bracket) a guy was whining that I should never use WoTC talent. :neutral_face: Enough said

2 Likes

Wow a night elf resto druid complaining about having to drink in a 40v40 bg, when they’re still the most mana efficient healer in the game and the easiest to get a drink with.

1 Like

Paladins and Shamans are pretty reliant on cooldowns as responses to most damage. It’ll get better with gear and with support from your team but you don’t get a lot of spam casting moments unless your being ignored by the enemy team.

1 Like

Wow, a rabid fan who viciously defends the game via insults in literally every thread.

3 Likes