Healing in WoW - Spell Bloat - Addons

I get it. I was just poking fun. It still is technically one spell, just 3 different ranks. I know you would have to bind it 3 separate times. <3

1 Like

Well include a smiley or something! I couldn’t tell if being difficult or just not understanding :slight_smile:

The multitude of spell ranks in vanilla was real, since mana management could be incredibly tight, and overheal discipline was a definite focus for many healers.

I would say that learning the Macro, or at least being open to the system could use much more support and encouragement. The primary reason is simply convenience, but also because it condenses the bars for most classes. I fiddle around with it occasionally but am quite happy with the results. The support for modifiers and conditionals is quite handy, such as with my “help/harm:cleanse/purge” macro, which can be adopted for both shaman, priest and mages.

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,help]Cleanse Spirit;[@mouseover,harm]Purge;[@target,help]Cleanse Spirit;[@target,harm]Purge;Cleanse Spirit

I think the logical conditionals of the base system is relatively easy to pick up for casual players.

There’s also some enticing capabilities that can be gained by going deeper with the with local script support. I haven’t really gone much deeper in-game than using it for fun or when using it to track quest flags. The later capability is largely due to other much more knowledgable scripters who share the macros on fan sites like WoWhead.

Ex: Popping Trinkets, Popping Racial, 2% chance of some RP

#showtooltip
/use Berserking(Racial)
/use Ascendance
/use 13
/use 14
/run local s if random()< 0.02 then s="I am the Avatar, and you gotta deal with it!" end SendChatMessage(s,"YELL")

I don’t use healing addons either.

I click on characters’ names and I’ve done +15 keys and mythic/heroic raids.

I only use macros for telling people to stand in efflorescence or that they have innervate.

No, had you even glanced at what I wrote, you’d have noticed that I have listed 24 unique spells.

This is false. Priests smite on easy bosses like Magdamar in MC, Ebonrock and Flamegor in BWL, and on Fankriss in AQ40. Additionally, it is imperative that priests smite on C’thun during his vulnerability phases in order to secure a one-phase kill. Mind control and shackle undead (an ability I forgot to mention in my 24 ability list) are necessary to be used in Naxx during boss fights ( Instructor Razuvious and Kel Thusad, respectively). Also I forgot to mention dispel. So increase the list to 26.

Yes I know. I have a max level priest, haven’t you noticed my avatar? I also have a Classic priest. And I know how to count. The number of keybinds needed is almost identical.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/useful-macro-templates/42937

Honestly, the UI and Macro forum’s stickies are an amazing first reference

2 Likes

I mained a healer until BFA (even some in BFA) and I never use addons. I was able to do heroics and middle level keys just fine.

1 Like

The solution for this would be to make healers as OP as demon hunters were in BfA. A 2 button steamroller. It would be something like 2 really powerful AoEs. And a hardcore passive that was on all the time. Then they wouldn’t need add-ons. Lol

the only addon you “need” as a healer is DBM
blizzard raid frames are surprisingly good. once you have them set up properly all you need is healing spell macros.

I know with healbot, I am doing things the fastest I can.

I know without healbot, that extra click takes time, while doing dps like catweaving would be initially difficult and require an almost complete rework of how I bind my keys and macros.

That extra click.

Is a big deal.

1 Like

The better question is Why would you want to be a healer without using the Healbot AddOn?

It is a single AddOn that can be downloaded from the same place where you normally get your AddOns.

I think it works great. See you in the battlegrounds Noob!

So add lucio to the game?

I’ve never had issues with just mouseover macros and standard frames. It’s like playing whack-a-mole.

1 Like

You do have to be looking at the persons frames with the game camera dont you?
Or are you referencing the Raid Frames, and not the bars above their heads?

A frame ui does not require camera swivel.

Raid frames, sorry.

I know other people swear by different UIs, but I’ve always just used the standard one.

1 Like

The standard raid frames have incorporated many of the popular addon features over the years and are quite good.

I just use that with mouseover macros.

3 Likes

Yeah, your just a…

I use no healing add-ons and have healed just fine these past 15 years.

Mouseover macros.

There’s super easy to set up and even easier to use.

Just say it, a lunatic Thicc Daddy.

1 Like

I do use vudho for healing because I prefer it, but I can tell you that it is certainly not required by any stretch of the imagination.

We had one of our top dps (who uses the default ui) respec to heals for giggles one raid, and he did fine clicking raid frames and pressing keys to heal.

For reference, we are an aotc guild. Yes, the content was on farm and he didn’t top the meters, but he parsed above 50 which is more than acceptable for heroic nyalotha.

The thing about is this: clicking a raid frame and then pressing a button to heal literally doubles ones actions needed in order to throughput healing when compared to using a click-only addon. While this seems strictly worse (which it is) it doesn’t actually matter because at no point is one’s Gcd so fast that requiring twice as many actions will have any affect on performance.

Is it a good idea to get a healing addon and use it if you want to? Of course. Is it mandatory? No. Will a healer who uses an addon outperform someone who doesn’t just by using the addon? No.

I am confident that I could parse just as well using no addons as I can with vudho, even if I could go back in time to 8.3 when I had 80% haste on my rdruid. I use it because it is convienent, thats it.

Dunno if I am logged onto my druid, but for reference I was a 91.6 percentile resto druid prior to prepatch (its a little wonky now).

Messing with the UI on the Beta I started tinkering with mouseover and help/harm strings. I cant tell if I like them yet. Probably because I’m a clicker at heart