Hate blood elves want high elves?

Void Elves come directly from Blood Elves just with Void Corruption yet they’re playable. Mag’hars are the same as regular Orcs just with some different skin colors/hair/markings etc. Highmountain Tauren are the same as Kalimdor Tauren with some markings and antlers. Lightforged Draenei are Draenei with extra light and tattoos/gold eyes.

This is what most allied races are. If High Elves were to be playable they can simply give them a different model with different customizations. Kul Tirans are technically the same race as the mainlander humans but they use a different model for player characters. High Elves can do the same thing or there could be a lore explanation for them gaining a different appearance. Evolution/Adaptation can happen at anytime ingame if the story demands it.

I think the confusion over “Who are High Elves?” is a nonissue. If need be they could take up a different name for themselves should they become playable but I don’t think that’s even necessary.

3 Likes

If a different eye color is all it takes to be “Way cuter” then I just ordered my colored contacts.

They changed in a boat ride travelling from Kalimdor to Eastern Kingdoms.

There was no evolution into High Elves. It was a rapid change when deprived of the Well of Eternity.

It could happen to modern Night Elves if we blew up all their Moonwells.

And that was only around 4k years ago. They allied with humans at around 3k.

And that changes nothing about what I said.

When you say “Blood Elves” it only refers to Blood Elves.

When you say “High Elves” it only refers to High Elves.

It’s not semantic. It’s what both groups are called.

High Elves does not work when referring to Blood Elves because they are not called High Elves.

So if you try to refer to High Elves when meaning Blood Elves you have to add extra clarification because it makes no sense given they are referred to as Blood Elves.

Just use the term “Thalassian Elves” because that just means Elves from Quel’Thalas. Easy.

4 Likes

Or we can just keep using the shorter, easier to spell, and still correct high elves to refer to the fact that they’re still the same damn elves and not worry about quibbles that seem designed to make it harder to argue a point in the simplest most direct method.

1 Like

I think you are not yet identified with your ethnicity, traitorous elf.

We are still high Elves.

I don’t believe this was ever stated.
All it says is that they changed, and we do not know how long it took.
We know the boat ride took many years.
In anycase, they are different from their night elf kin. So I am not sure what point you’re trying to prove Drede.
I mean, by your logic, you have a high elf.

Thats what semantics means

That means when you say “High Elves”, it refers to both. It’s purely preference otherwise, but this is the factual base.

2 Likes

The simplest way is to refer to High Elves as High Elves and Blood Elves as Blood Elves.

Because that’s how it’s already set up.

That it was not thousands of years of evolution. That was the point.

And it was in a graphic novel. I want to say Blood of the Highborne but I might be wrong.

There where pictures and it was a short part at the start of the book.

No it doesn’t.

If anyone’s says “High Elves” then they aren’t talking about Blood Elves and vice versa.

It doesn’t matter what one group used to be called. It’s not their name and it does not refer to them. Nor is it used to refer to them at any point outside of past references.

2 Likes

As blood elves are biologically high elves, blood elves can be called high elves.

4 Likes

Which…again…doesn’t really say anything. COuld be a time skip. It is best not to assume.

I mean…I have.
I play a high elf demon hunter.
Rawwr

2 Likes

You can stomp your feet and pout about it, but that won’t change that they are indeed the exact same thing :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

And Void Elves can be called Blood Elves and High Elves but it’s not the terminology they use.

No one is going to think you are talking about Blood/Void Elves when you say “High Elves”.

The fact that this conversation has been going on so long without having to clarify who I’m talking about proves this.

1 Like

Void elves are biologically different.

Right, but the point is they’re still the same race. The thing is, you guys see these two names and think, “oh, they must be different races, so it’s okay for high elves to be on the alliance”, no, they’re the same race, lol. Down to the atom.

2 Likes

Nope.
They were changed. So they cannot.

Actually, that is one of the most debated pieces of this whole thing.

Actually people outside the playable Alliance high elf community use it to generally refer to elves of that shape and size. The problem exists because the writers never thought the terminology out all that much, and there is no remaining political group called High Elves anyway. There was a High Elf nation, now it is called the Blood Elf nation. These other high elves are part of other groups.

Except that Blood Elves are high elves, they are the legacy of the high elves before Arthas. They call themselves something new now, but they haven’t changed their past. In WoW they are also the playable version of the high elf archetype too.

It just feels like a way to try and semantic past a point. Like if I were to say that since they were called high elves before the split, it’s wrong to refer to the non-blood ones as high elves as that confuses them with the full race, so really they need to be referred to as “Thalassian elves non-aligned with Silvermoon” it doesn’t really do anything but make the other side jump through a hoop by trying to force them into a longer name.

4 Likes

Which is exactly what they are doing. The writers messing up capitalization isn’t great ground to be standing on. It’s the difference between ‘High Elves’ and ‘high elves’.

Though at least he’s not trying the whole “But, they ate fel!” bit.

3 Likes

Please no, don’t jinx it, I don’t need another headache >.<

1 Like

No one is saying that.

People are just playing dumb and pretending the names are interchangeable when they mean specific and different things.

Debatable.

They are magically infused but that does not directly correlate to real world biology.

The fact that you can easily identify which group easily by referring to their names shows it is not a big issue at all.

People are just trying to muddy the waters and pretend it’s more coplentated then it is for arguments sake.

Or that people have made a convoluted idea that not calling Blood Elves High Elves somehow dishonored them when the opposite is true.

Blood Elves are called Blood Elves. It has a specific group and meaning behind it.

High Elves are called High Elves. It’s because they aren’t part of the specific group nor went the ideological shift the other groups had.

When anyone says High Elf it specifically means High Elves. When anyone says Blood Elves specifically means Blood Elves.

The fact that you can read the last few sentences shows this.

Same applies to Void Elves.

It’s how the world is set up and it is what they are. Simple.

3 Likes

Nope. They bleed purple, have no connection to the sunwell, and stated they were changed.
Not a high elf anymore.
Let alone, again, based on that logic, it means you received high elves.

3 Likes