Has it ever occurred to Blizz that some of us WANT an overpopulated mega-server?

Using a 2005 video as a reference point when we all played on potatoes with 500mb of ram and had major server limitations isn’t really a fair comparison.

Opening day of BFA looked busier than that and we were all running aound with 120 fps no problem.

All the doomsday prophets ITT are reaching so hard.

I would ideally like the population to be as high as the server can possibly handle. We know from private server experience that its possible to run a 15k pop server, and i would imagine Blizz servers would have no problem with that.

My main argument is that they have the capability to run at 15k, but would rather have 10k people in queue while only 5k people play. That makes absolutely no sense, especially to people that enjoy that high pop like myself.

If you account for hardware and player cap inflation, you’re probably going to see the same exact issues in 2019 that you saw in this video.

Never saw these problems on Northdale. 14k people at the start saturated in the 1-5 starting zones.

Doubt it, it’ll be no busier than nazjatar was on patch day, your exaggerating alot.

Reading Kaivax’s post earlier:

I see nothing to indicate that once layering is turned off, they’ll only be letting 5K players on a realm at a time.
In fact it seems to say just the opposite.
People are panicking based purely on speculation.

Good luck and I hope you get the game experience that you want.

The only people who think high population servers are a problem are greedy herbalist/miners who are worried they wont be able to dominate the markets with increased competition.

You can’t change my mind, I’ve been in lots of these threads, it’s always the selfish gatherers who want to corner a market that have a problem with high population servers.

Notice all the crummy excuses these people come up with?

Yeah, that’s because they don’t want to tell you the truth, the real reason they don’t want high pop servers is they are worried they wont be able to farm all the Black Lotus and Dreamfoil.

1 Like

That means at launch there will be people in que regardless if there is layering or not, because they dont wanna make it a problem after they take off layering. Then why even have layering at that point…

Keep in mind, classic doesn’t let you teleport to instances.

When they say overpopulated, they mean that BRD is a constantly AOE spam lag fest. Good luck getting your party into the instance.

Imagine thinking you’ll lag in brd in 2019 lmfao.

It’s not 2004 we dont play on potatos anymore.

REACHING.

Retail still lags like crazy if more than 100 people are in an area.

You could see it at the 8.2 patch.

this is classic, things are much simpler

No, its pretty much the same server architecture. Masses of people AoEing will slow everything to a crawl.

You could even see it during Asmongolds raids.

#nochanges remember… servers should be max 3k players at once

1 Like

then take out layering along with it. No changes remember

Then dont roll herod?

This is a fair point.

I think it would be really hard to work though, as much as I would rather no layering, it really is needed for launch, and although I think blizz underestimates classic numbers I do agree post launch drop off is a concern, something layer has the potential to streamline if tuned well.

I’m really just going to be happy if in a few weeks we have a nice healthy spread of populated servers, if the cap needs to be increased for a while to let people in and negate queues until new server open with transfer options I’m fine with it.

As time goes on it becomes clearer what realms are low pop or high/full, some people prefer dead quiet servers some like high traffic chaotic servers I say just have all options.

I will try to help you understand that you’re already getting what you want. Pretty much all pvp servers are already considered high pop if not full. If one ends up medium pop then it would still have more players than the highest populated server from back in vanilla days. Hints why there’s only 5 NA pvp servers . The majority of players don’t want sharding/ layering so the plan is it will be removed after the hype dies down. They’re trying not to add more servers than they have to so the population doesn’t thin out.

If you played on a server with 14K people on it, you weren’t playing Vanilla.

You were playing a private server that claimed to be Vanilla. But it wasn’t.

I really think that warning about 10K long queues was with layering implemented. I shudder to think of what that queue could look like if nobody moves to another realm by the time they turn Layering off.