Has anyone switched from a 5800x to a 5800x3d? how large of a performance jump was it?

I have a 4090 and 5800x rn and i feel like im cpu bottlenecked hard.

i’ve heard the 5800x3d can improve performance by like 30%?

or do i wait for the 7900x3d

I went from a 5900x to a 5800x3d.

For WoW. Upper FPS I was sustaining roughly the same since I was hitting the 144 mark already. Lower bound. I was able to sustain 60fps easier during the pre-patch event. Was hitting high 30s low 40s with the 5900x and with the 5800x3d I was able to sustain 60fps except when everyone and their mom joined the wind boss raid. Became a literal slide show even with the 5800x3d.

I went from the 3700x and it wasn’t as much performance gain as I thought though fps is more stable then before. This with a 1070.

WoW benefits from the 5800X3D more than almost any other game. The increase is actually pretty epic. I personally moved from a 5900X (with PBO, etc tuned to the max) to a 5800X3D and the upgrade was bigger than when I previously switched from a 3900X to the 5900X.

This is a marketing slide from the Intel 13-series launch. Intel certainly has no reason to exaggerate the performance of an AMD CPU, especially when it trashes their 13900K. They even had to represent the performance of the 5800X3D differently compared to the other CPUs to make the beatdown look less severe.

Intel 13-series Marketing slide with 5950X and 5800X3D

Not all games show the same benefit from the 3D cache. WoW shows tremendous benefit. ~68% increase is insane. Most people would go nuts over a 15% increase.

Game Benchmarks, 5800X3D compared to 5900X

Make no mistake. The 5800X3D is currently the fastest CPU available for WoW, period. It’s faster than any of intel’s 13-series CPUs, and faster than all currently released AMD Zen 4 CPUs. The 5800X3D is faster than Zen 4 right now because AMD has not released any 3D cache Zen 4 variants, and it might not do so for a year or more.

There are also additional improvements that aren’t really obvious just based on basic FPS measurements. The massive amount of L3 cache that the 5800X3D has really helps to smooth things out. In this last picture, you can see the clear difference in frametimes, with each spike representing a micro-stutter.

Measuring Micro-stutter

If you currently have an AM4 motherboard, it’s a no-brainer to upgrade, especially if WoW is one of your main games. It’s not a super-expensive chip (you could probably make most of your money back selling your existing CPU on eBay) and you don’t have to buy a new motherboard and expensive DDR5. The huge amount of L3 cache makes the CPU much less dependent on RAM, basically erases any benefit DDR5 has over DDR4, and even allows it to work well with slower DDR4.

But as with any CPU upgrade, you are not going to see a huge increase if you are already GPU limited. Many perpetuate the idea that WoW does not use much GPU resources, but at max settings, it can easily max out even a mid to semi-high-end GPU, like a RTX 2080 or 3070 - and that’s with Ray Tracing off. Turn Ray-Tracing on and your GPU requirements go up even further. The 5800X3D is so fast in WoW that you are probably going to be GPU limited with anything other than a latest-generation card.

6 Likes

Important to note though the 5800X3D benefits min frames the most. So if you fly around on a griffin, arenas and a few 5 mans your improvement will be minimal.

If you get into a a 40v40 TM/XR flight the 5800X3D with a modern Radeon GPU is going to give the best performance possible.

2 Likes

I have a system here with a 5800X3D and a 7950X, both seem to get down to 60FPS or so in the major city or when the soup event is really busy. I moved from a 5900X, and yes the X3D is worth it’s weight in gold for this game, much cheaper than moving to an AM5 platform. I run 3440x1440 with max settings/ray tracing on a 4080.

1 Like

I ordered a 5800X3D today. Should be here within a couple of days. I currently have a 5950X, which I’m reselling to the mate at the cost of a 5800X3D. Good value for both of us!

My need for a high-core-count chip has decreased, and anything that I’m doing that tends to benefit from multiple cores is usually running on my server with a couple of Xeon chips regardless.

The main reason I’m upgrading to a 5800X3D is that I’m hitting constant CPU bottlenecks in several games since I upgraded to an RTX 4090. In WoW, I can downsample from 8K with ray-traced shadows enabled, and I can still hit some pretty severe CPU bottlenecks. In MSFS, Spider-Man Remastered, and other games, I’m almost fully CPU-bottlenecked at native 4K. The 5950X just cannot feed the 4090 fast enough at the resolutions and framerates that I want to play at.

Really excited for the upgrade. I don’t plan on upgrading to a DDR5-based platform for quite a while, and the 5800X3D should comfortably extend the life of this system another couple of years.

Been thinking about gifting a 5800X3D to a family member to bump them up from their 3700X, which should be a solid upgrade in several games but have been waiting to see if the price will drop any further with the release of the 3D cache variations of Ryzen 7000 series CPUs.

My desk tower is built with a 5950X and I’ll likely be keeping that because that machine sometimes sees usage where that CPU can shine, and I’m happy enough with its gaming performance since I’m only pushing 2560x1440 and don’t go too crazy with settings… most games stop just at high/ultra settings and I never use downsampling or anything like that.

Initial impressions of the 5800X3D, coming from a 5950X:

Wow. This thing feels smooth. I’m seeing the expected ~20-30%+ gain in some areas, but I don’t have any hard numbers because the places that are most demanding (e.g. Valdrakken) are also very difficult to consistently gauge. However, as a very loose comparison point, where I was previously getting 45 FPS, I’m now getting 60 FPS. There’s still a bit more slowdown than I’d like when very rapidly turning the camera in Valdrakken, but the overall experience is largely improved. I’m seeing 150-200+ FPS in many parts of the world now, and in some areas I’m even hitting 240 FPS on my 240 Hz monitor.

This is probably the most substantial that a CPU upgrade has felt for me in WoW since 2013, when I upgraded from an i7-920 to an i7-4770K.

As an added bonus, my 5950X still resells for more secondhand than a 5800X3D goes for new! I resold my 5950X to a mate for the price of the 5800X3D. Great deal all around for both of us. For a “free” upgrade, this is fantastic stuff, and alone has probably extended the life of this platform by another couple of years.

1 Like

This is what I always tell everyone. It’s not your average or high fps that matters, it’s the lows. The better the lows the more smooth the game play.

Grats on the 5800X3D upgrade.

3 Likes

Hi, I am with 5800X, msi 4090 liquid X and 240HZ 2K monitor. Should I go 5800X3D or 7000X3D? where is a good place to sell used 5800X?

Going 5800X3D vs one of the new Zen 4 X3D chips depends entirely on how much you’re willing to spend, and how big of an improvement you’re after. With a 5800X3D, you could replace your existing 5800X and resell the 5800X to recoup a good chunk of the cost. With any of the 7000-series X3D chips, you’ll need a new motherboard and RAM as well.

Afraid I don’t have any suggestions on where best to sell a 5800X though. I live in New Zealand and the sites we use here tend to be a bit more local heh. Plus, I just wound up reselling my 5950X to a mate with a hefty discount. Worked out to be a stellar deal for both of us.

3 Likes

Def wait. id get the motherboard now though. As MANY more people will be upgrading the the 3D V cache series drops they may go up in price or be harder to find

Plus you will have an upgrade path with AM5

The ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming is literally your best bang for your buck on the market. $350 and its worth every penny

It literally has all the features of most X670E motherboards at a fraction of the price. Im shocked there is not more coverage of this board. It has killer VRMs, a Q-code reader, clear CMOS button and bios flashback. Not to mention more PCIE 5.0 lanes than any B650 mobo I have seen. Its literally insane.

Proof

Two things you should NEVER cheap out on with a PC is Motherboard and Power Supply.

1 Like

If I bought a MOBO today with plans to buy a 7000-series X3D chip down the line, how does BIOS compatibility work? I remember the AM4 shenanigans when people would have to get a loaner CPU from AMD in order to install a BIOS on newly-purchased boards to support newer chips…

See my comment above OP about waiting for the 7700X3D or 7900X3D.

Also here is the information you were looking for. Actual benchmarks in wow

I will quote my comment from another thread here.

1 Like

Deeply consider the motherboard I listed in my post above above. You just download the new bios from the motherboard website and install it. Boom done. I promise you if you get the one I listed above they will have a new bios out that supports them days before the release of the new chips

I need ITX so my choices are really limited. This is what I was considering but I don’t think it supports BIOS updates without a CPU installed: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x670e-i-gaming-wifi-model/

This may be more bang for your buck? Its a great board for 320$
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-B650E-I-Mini-ITX-Motherboard/dp/B0BP9LJBP8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=32QQP5PIL4M4V&keywords=rog+am5+itx+motherboard&qid=1673578824&sprefix=rog+am5+itx+motherboard%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685

Unless you are set on a x670e and dont mind spending extra

1 Like

The BIOS flash back is on the stupid hive puck thing.

2 Likes

Gross but good to know lol. Would probably be the only time I’d use that peripheral. Thanks for the help, folks. I am seriously considering upgrading from my 8700k to 7000-series X3D.