Has anyone played on both Intel and AMD?

I am incredibly torn I’m going with a Ryzen 7 3800XT or i7 10700k. I know Intel is obviously faster but the question is how much? How many frame rates are we talking?

I have looked over YouTube online benchmarks excetera excetera and the problem is is nobody that does these benchmarks reviews World of Warcraft or includes them in the games they test.

So I was hoping someone here has played on two similar Rigs one Intel and one AMD and can tell me the type of frame rate differences between the two. If someone like that is out there I beg you to please reply to this thread and share your thoughts. I know World of Warcraft is a very CPU bound game and that is why I’m asking this question here.

Price isn’t really a factor in this build I’m trying to do a build right. A build thats going to last me the next 5 years. So if I have to I’d rather spend a little more and build a computer ahead-of-its-time that’s going to last me then try and focus on price

Only on my 5ghz 8700k and 4ghz Ryzen 5 1600. It’s like night and day.

So that said, a 3800xt is probably closer to 4pm on Friday and day.

2 Likes

but here’s a guy that DOES benchmark WoW CPUs:

tl;dw: AMD sometimes has better minumum FPS, but most of the time intel has a lot more average FPS.

He’s the only guy that does it and that’s old data that doesn’t involve either processor that I’m looking at. Kind of bites none of the other benchmarkers include wow.

With that said on his chart intel seems to be night and day better than AMD. With his list AMD doesnt seem to break 160FPS. Intel constantly is sitting at 170+

I’d say the overclocked 9900k and 3900x numbers are pretty close. Unless you do some significant RAM tuning Ryzen doesn’t gain much from conventional OC.

Ipc they are the same as i7-10700k/3800xt, and as long as clocks match, your data probably will line up.

So which would you roll with? Ryzen 7 3700x also may be worth looking at since Zen 3 is coming out soon and uses the same MoBO and how cheap the 3700x is. So it wont be a big deal to upgrade when Zen 3 launches. Its a good way to future proof your PC.

3700x? 3800XT or 10700k? The i7 10700k may not need future proofing lol. My i7 from 2015 has lasted me quite a while

What i7 do you have?

If it’s a 6700k, and as far as WoW is concerned, I wouldn’t upgrade to any of these chips.

Even a 4790k, with a decent OC, is probably still pretty potent.

Maybe wait for Zen 4 or later.

IMO I wouldn’t upgrade unless you had a Haswell i5 or lower.

My work is paying for 90% of my upgrade. I work in IT. However all I do on my PC is game. No work station stuff. They dont need to know that though :stuck_out_tongue:

So I have to do the build this week if I am gonna do it or those funds go to someone else in the company wanting an home base upgrade and I have to wait till next year

Well then damn. Get the 10900k and some fast RAM, like 4200+

Cant get it anywhere. Its crazy on Amazon like 900$ so no way.

i9 is no faster han the i5 in gaming. No point. More cores is useless gaming

So its…
3700x? 3800XT or 10700k

That’s part of the problem, you’re always going to be dealing with an imperfect data set. No matter how thorough your analysis you’re always going to end up having to be somewhat reliant on anecdotal evidence, especially when dealing with something like WoW where you can never get a truly perfect comparison.

Anyone looking to answer this question has to decide where they are willing to sacrifice. Are you looking for a 100% purely gaming rig or will you be using this for other things?

I moved, almost a year ago, from an Intel rig to an R5 3600/Nvidia build. At the same time setup my brother with a 9600k/Nvidia rig. While the 9600k was a better choice for gaming (my brother’s rig is 100% for one game), my rig is also being used for work - 3 monitors and many many many windows open. The trade off between a small loss in FPS for a significant bump in multi threaded performance made it an easy choice for me. If the FPS differences were as dramatic as they used to be I would have had a more difficult time deciding.

Again, accepting that we are always going to be dealing with an imperfect data set, and that this is a debate where you can almost always find someone out there who has posted something that ‘proves’ an opposing view objectively wrong (yeah, I’m trying to be a little ‘cute’ with that), the best advice I can give you is to look at raw data and apply that to your use case.

For instance (and yes I know this is as flawed a source as any other), compare the single threaded performance here:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

and the multi threaded performance here:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Now, are you going to be playing in a “perfect world” environment? Just the game and nothing else running? And any benchmarks you are looking at - are they running WoW and only WoW? Does their environment match yours?

If you’re like me and have sometimes dozens of things open while you’re playing, you might do better overall with AMD. If you’re playing in a more ‘perfect’ environment then the difference with in game performance might be more pronounced and Intel might be better for you.

Either way, things are much tighter than they were in earlier generations - the gaps are not nearly as big.

TL/DR: I don’t have an answer, I just have more anecdotal information that suggests that your use case is more important than a benchmark that isn’t a perfect mirror for your environment.

I would wait for the next generation to come out to make a decision. If you don’t NEED it today, then wait.

Well no, but if someone else is paying then excess is well justified, LOL

Limited to 10700k or 3800xt and I don’t gotta pay for it…10700k every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Well, that’s a horse of a different color. Microcenter has them - do you have one near you?

Yeah, 100% gaming build and price doesn’t matter. I agree with Sal.

90% dude and there is a max I can spend. i9 would cut into my great case and LED budget :stuck_out_tongue: Im going with the ROG Hero Motherboard regardless if I go z490 or x570.

3700x? 3800XT or 10700k?
Which would you roll with? Obviously the 3700x would leave me more funds for other stuff.

10700k between those without a second thought.

Only reason to consider the 3800xt is price and in the very rare scenario you use software that specifically benefits from Ryzen workloads.

1 Like

lol! My coworker used those exact words! “10700k between those without a second thought.” then he added “only a fool would pick AMD over intel atm or someone who does a lot of video editing which we dont.” he then said in his opinion intel motherboards are more stable. No clue how true that is having never used a x570 board

You may be able to answer since you have both. I personally have never used an AMD

Having experience with both platforms

i agree

1 Like

Mostly RAM compatibility and tuning is the problem.

Getting your RAM to run at advertised speeds on Ryzen boards out of the box is, well, a roll of the dice.

Intel is almost a guarantee to flip on XMP and you’re done.

That said, Intel boards can and do, however infrequently, have picky RAM problems, and Ryzen does tend to be fine once you get it set up, however long that may take.

Same. I switched from Intel to Ryzen last year, but both rigs are still running. As I said in another thread, I regret not getting the 8700k when it was current.

Since you have to buy NOW … go with the 10700k … you won’t regret it if this is a 100% gaming rig.

1 Like

Thanks man. Since I guess im going to go with intel here is my build.

• RoG ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490
  • i7 10700k
  • HyperX Predator 4000mhz (HX440C19PB3AK2/16)
  • ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
  • ASUS ROG Strix 750w Fully Modular
  • Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD
  • Antec Dark Avenger DA601 ATX Mid Tower Case

Opinions?