Hardware Unboxed admits they were wrong to recommend the Ryzen 5 1600 in 2017

Well, that’s what I’m sure they MEANT to say.

At any rate, good to see they are still agreeing this 3 year old CPU still has the chops to mop the floor in gaming even against the 3rd generation of Ryzen.

1 Like

Not surprised considering what Steve said about the 2020 version of the i7-8700k via techspot

On the other hand, the Core i5-10600K has the potential to deliver 10700K and 10900K-like performance at an even cheaper price point. So for those seeking strong gaming performance and good value, the 10600K is an appealing option. When overclocked it can match the $400 and $500 parts, or at least get so close it doesn’t matter. That in my opinion makes it Intel’s best value high-end gaming CPU.

Man you just HAD to answer with a serious reply :-1:

People are going to be hanging onto these things like they did the i7-2600k.

I’m almost hoping my 8700k dies from my 3 year long liquid metal 5ghz OC because otherwise I’m not seeing a good reason to upgrade.

Even if Ryzen 4000 is 20-30% faster at gaming, it will be a tough sell for me because the 8700k is still so competent.

A failure would force me to.

2 Likes

No need to hang on I’ve had (between 2 systems) a 1700, 1800x, 2700x, 2400g, 2600x, 2950x and 3900x. May be forgetting something…

4770k --> 8700k

i5-4570 -> i7-8700k

I was just whining to my wife that my i5 8600k is still plenty fast enough for gaming. I want to upgrade, but it’s really hard to justify. I guess it’s a pretty good problem to have.

2 Likes

i had an OC 8600k, it ran through every game with ease

1 Like

I’ve had a 4790k I think I only had one Intel since then the 6700k.

Im still running an ocd i5 2500K.

A fancy new chip and mobo is on my radar

Edit: didnt realize this thread was old.

Up until April I was using an i7-4790k. Then I upgraded to a Ryzen 9 3900X for my birthday, gave my old computer to my dad who was upgrading from an old Dell laptop from 2009.

I have a i7 8700k . Amazing cpu.

My mobo would need to be changed to go 10th gen…that lead me to look up 2020 reviews on the 8700k , it was impressive to see rhe benchmarks and how well it hold up to sime current cpus.

It’s not really worse than a 10900k - you look at 10600k results and that’s generic 8700k OC results; its margin of error.

Probably one of the best CPU buys in recent history. I personally feel the 8700k is like the new 2600k, the chip people are hanging onto for years.

2 Likes

I’ll admit I’m always looking at a game’s hardware forums with jaded cynicism at first until I feel out how the average responses go. There’s people that I’ve seen drop lots of money on VERY minimal gains just to say “hey I got that new thing”. I generally don’t participate much in forums if those kind of posts are flying around a lot because it just leads to heated arguments of practicality.

You know the bean counter types…“well if you get this you’ll get .005% more performance , or yeah but you’ll get an extra 1mb of throughput with this” (fake numbers for humor used in example). type of thing…

Can’t stand those people personally because that’s the “more money than brains type” that upgrade with that logic.

The point to all this …I don’t blame anyone on here at all , in fact I’d lean its the better call, to hang onto decently performing hardware UNLESS of course you are rich or money otherwise doesn’t mean a thing to you, btw if that applies to anyone here…I envy you…lol.

But its not just upgrading for best bang for the buck…its upgrading to what your use case is . I don’t believe its on these forums, but there was someone talking about getting / wanting to get a 3090…and its for playing WoW. Why? Wasted money.

Anyway that’s my two cents, but everyone has their own “this is the point I upgrade to”…I’m not dropping $500 for 5% performance gain , where as some people will upgrade for 5%.

We all know as you get into the higher performance parts, there’s a huge diminishing return.

That said, I’ll probably be getting a 3080 - not so much for WoW since even on my 5700xt I get great fps at 1440p even at 10, but for FFXIV and gshade.

For dinner reason that addon really does a number on performance, and I feel if I have more power I can load even more gshade filters.

A big part of it is that I haven’t even bought big well, ever. And due to covid i am wondering if I am going to die fr this I would like to experience a high end gpu at least once.

Plus my wife or some gets the 5700xt, and I can ultimately retire a 1060 3gb or rx 570.

i7 860 - Ryzen 5 2600.

Unless you already had a foot in the shadowlands before covid your fine. Turn the news off.

I’m 40 and have some underlying conditions. Relatively fit, but still.

That said, if I need an excuse to spend my money, why not eh? lol

2020 sucks and sometimes you just need a win.

That 5700xt is/will/should be a great hand-me-down.
A 3080, is it likely to be a noticeable bump up?
I suppose you can’t know till you try it.
If your ‘list of things to do before leaving town’ includes owning and playing on a top of the line GPU, well then, if you have the money to trade, why not?

1 Like