Hard to believe they need yet another 8 hour Maintenance on Tuesday

You sure you weren’t complaining? Or does it actually “blow your mind” that a game that is under constant maintenance requires more maintenance?

2 Likes

Hard to believe that there are people who find it hard to believe there are occasional 8 hour maintenances.

1 Like

1 Like

The game is enormous, now. The database is enourmous. Depending on what needs doing, It just takes time to reindex the databases, audit the databases, and then load new files and clean-up the detritus.

I remember the maintenance period before Cata launched. If I remember right one of them was 36 hours.

I do not really care about the length of these periods. I am retired.

They need 8 hours to clean up all the nasty left behind in Goldshire on the moonguard servers lol

1 Like

Does it really?

Is it really?

First patch day?

FOS from 2014 tells me it isn’t.

I wanna see his reaction to bc and wrath era patches. lol. game would be down for 2-3 days sometimes

I mean I know this falls into the “I walked uphill both ways …” kind of thing but I do remember Wrath Tuesdays, all day. literally.

1 Like

I’ll make sure to make note of your opinion if I cared I guess lol

you cared enough to reply to my reply. so obviously you care on some level. your not fooling anyone with your constant replies of “I dont care” or you wouldnt reply.

Reaally didnt need that image in my head lol

Mop remix is next week. Today was supposed to be just a few new quests to wrap up Dragonflight, don’t know why that would take so bloody long? However I know nothing about how games are made🤷🏼‍♀️

reprogramming my sigil durations and cooldowns is difficult.

They preloaded it in the files because it will be a global launch.

That was patch 3.2 Lich King time frame and the patch was called Call of the Crusades…I was there though that whole ugly ugly mess…and actually it ended up being over 46+ hour due to 10 hours maintenance before the game went live and then crashed after 30 mins or so and down for 36+ hrs before it came back up…

Rewriting the DB.

Source code can be rewritten, even git repos and running a filter-branch. Kubernetes clusters can be restarted and you use regions to reduce downtime. Hardware is duped with GTM managing the routes so even if you pull cable… HVAC and building infrastructure can be managed by portable AC units and deployed generators.

Even NFS recoveries with a .0 and .1 are faster, and VM / ESX snapshots fast as well.

But you can’t fix a live DB consistently, so it’s often better to take it down, ensure consistency and perform the actions you need - verifying when done. If things go poorly, you can at least restore the old DB.

Servers are up.

If I had not seen you post that in another thread already I might have actually tried to check.

This is ridiculous. I sent Blizz my schedule and availability well in advance so they could work their downtime around us players. Do they not care about their customers?!