Harassment possible hacker

There is someone who keeps whispering my character saying they are Blizzard entertainment GM and saying I’m in violation. Just wondering if I should be worried or not because they threaten to suspend my account.
" Blizzard-Eredar whispers: [Blizzard Entertainment] GM : Viloation: Exploitive activity:
Abuse of the economy: please visit <> We require verification that you are the primary account holder , otherwise we will suspend your blizzard account."
This person is a lvl 55 worgon deathnight too.
Just wanting to know if I’m at risk of anything because being hacked is not fun.

No you should not be worried. What you want to do is right click and report them for spam. This is an old phishing attempt.

Just a few things to be aware of. A Blizzard whisper will open its own window. The text will always be in blue. And you cannot right click report them. Also, Blizzard will never warn you to do this or they are going to suspend you. They will simply suspend you and force you to contact them to resolve the issue.

A few articles to help shed some light for you.

If you scroll down a little bit on the second one, as it is much more encompassing than this issue, you will see info about GM’s contacting players.

I certainly hope you did not go to that link. Also, please please PLEASE edit out that link, as other unsuspecting players may come across it via a google search and not look any further.

Edit to add, you are not at risk of anything if you did not visit that website. If you did, scrub your machine immediately.

If you are overtly concerned about being hacked, I strongly recommend adding an authenticator. If you have a smartphone you can download it from the app store for free. Attach SMS protect to your account as well, and you will score yourself 4 extra bag slots and a corehound pup pet.

7 Likes

In addition to the support articles above, here’s a guide I made a while back that has some screenshots included.

Like the others mentioned, it wasn’t a real Bliz game master. Follow these tips to help spot whisper scams.

1) Watch for bad spelling, grammar and punctuation.

2) True GM’s will never link to websites for verification purposes.

3) True GM’s will have a special indicator that they are attempting to contact you in both the chat box and the upper right of the screen:

https://postimg.cc/image/824wp2bup7/

4) True convos with GM’s will open their own, separate, uniquely named chat window:

https://postimg.cc/image/7r6lfk4iyj/

5) True GM’s will have a unique, blue “Blizz” graphic preceding their character names and messages:

https://postimg.cc/image/8i5paf207v/

6) True GM’s have regular, self chosen character names, not “Game Master” or “Blizzard” or “Administrator”:

https://postimg.cc/image/3ut9jkr1gr/

7) You cannot report a true GM. If you right-click and the option to report is there, it’s a fake… so report it!

9 Likes

If you can right-click the name and report for Spamming - do it.
You can not report a legitimate Blizzard poster using the right-click option.

5 Likes

Good thing I decided to check the Forums to see if anyone else had gotten something similar!

I just got hit with one of these odd scammers, and decided to shift through my Account to see if anything looked off!

I’ll be sure to report them next time if I get hit again! Glad to know there are other folks helping out people who aren’t familiar with how the more sinister WoW scams work.

1 Like

Please. It is one of those advertisement schemes that ebbs and flows. The right click report as spam option is designed to limit the impact they have by quickly squelching them when they are reported.

Keep in mind, the right click report option will also temporarily place them on ignore for your gaming session.

1 Like

And also seems to cycle through methods. Not really a mystery why or anything, just interesting. Shame they don’t (or I’m guessing can’t) do those messages spelled out with bodies in Stormwind. Those were… creative and amusing, even if they were advertising spam.