Half the Playerbase is gone?

Bellular’s latest video about WoW.

I hope this isn’t accurate…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-VUEeWy6M

132 Likes

Well…this is the dilemma.

Do you push the first patch quickly or do you take time to make the first patch really good?

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

36 Likes

Since Blizz doesn’t put out sub numbers anymore - just the more vague “average monthly active users” - it’s kinda hard to tell, as the only values we have are estimates. Now, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there’s a significant decline compared to SL’s launch numbers, but I have my doubts it’s “half the playerbase” bad.

49 Likes

No communication - :white_check_mark:
A .5 patch :white_check_mark:
A very lackluster roadmap :white_check_mark:

The customization bombshell aint helping

This is coming from a person who usually gives a benefit of a doubt

315 Likes

You can’t even call it a roadmap. It’s more like “These are our ideas for the next patch.”

114 Likes

The problem is most of the systems in Shadowlands are bad. And when you have such a complicated expansion, which Blizzard themselves admitted this would be one of the most complicated expansions they ever did? People aren’t gonna enjoy it.

They need to learn to keep things simple.

210 Likes

Here’s the legit answer:
https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/worldwide-digital-games-market

World of Warcraft is fine, it’s experiencing the same/similar player drop off as with any other past expansion as recorded by Neilsen in the past (nothing out of the ordinary), and even with this, is still the 5th highest grossing game in the west. Also Neilsen excludes China/East markets, so wow is potentially even better than shown here.

And incase you have no idea what SuperData is or why you should care about some random chart:

SuperData is the world’s leading provider of market intelligence. SuperData offers quantitative and qualitative insights on free-to-play games, digital console, mobile, PC downloadable, streaming media and gaming video content, eSports, and virtual reality.

In simple terms, they are the definitive tool and rating of gaming market performance and pulls their data from accurate market sources that aren’t privy to just any random joe. Ratings provided by Neilsen is what most industries (i.e. television, etc) use to judge the performance, strength and value of their markets.

58 Likes

While it’s hard to tell it’s not impossible to make a great guess. We can’t just pinpoint but generally we know.

Just like we knew without official numbers that BFA was the 2nd worst expansion in WoW history with Legion having numbers upwards in between Cata and Mop.

It’s probably close to it though, it could even be lower. We have our biases but this game sucks dude.

34 Likes

DSAG, dood

Cool.

Maybe they’ll get a clue that their game sucks.

85 Likes

Exactly, simplicity can do wonders.

The moment they started added this systems like Azerite Gear or Soulbinds is when things start to fall apart

34 Likes

i knew we were screwed the moment we saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QInBVzBJuU4&t=77s

then look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6CWue7voA0

123 Likes

It’s about right, there is mostly horde running on my server now. And past 12 no one is on. Half is gone.

14 Likes

There was complexity before then. Guarantee if they brought even MoP back for the population now, it wouldn’t have the same “taste” as we had back then. Game population is heavily divided in what it wants (and it feels like geographic regions align more heavily than others, like just compare EU vs NA playstyles).

Going to be laughing once people see how the community breaks tbc and while calling it too convoluted.

4 Likes

My only measure is how populated my phase of Oribos is after work hours like around 7 o’clock PM. Some days seems healthy some days super empty.

5 Likes

I finally quit. I am a total scrub, so I have lots of time. Played this game from the start. Something changed. What I realized was that they handed off MY game to a bunch of young bucks who took it and turned it into a new game. A new game I did not want.

They could have made a new game and left mine alone, adding to it instead of resetting it and changing it every expansion. Allowing us to advance characters and build something that isn’t taken away is important, but the devs are more interested in patting each other on the back then dealing with reality.

Wow is gone and it’s fitting that the expansion that took me realizing it is the expansion where we literally went to hell… just like the game. Irony? /shrug

206 Likes

Part of the issue for me is WoW is competing against itself. There are older versions of the game that I just love! It’s hard not to be sad when a system you really like gets gutted. And there’s no chance it will return. Each release is a new system, so. Eh.

20 Likes

If they had made SL good instead of grindy from the start there wouldn’t be any dilemma at all.

66 Likes

I don’t think anyone has quality numbers on player count so we’re all just looking at our friend lists and guessing.

5 Likes

I didnt think it would happen to me but I am done as well. It boils down to one thing, I am not having fun logging in. The magic is not here, I want it to be, but its not. I tried raiding, seemed very unrewarding. Tried PvP, seemed to only give me a headache anymore. Tried leveling alts, have no desire to level anymore.

The fact that they buffed warriors over 18% since the expac dropped and I still feel like I dont have dps like lesser geared players is the nail in the coffin.

Maybe its me, but one thing is for sure, I am no longer having fun and lost the urge to even login to do anything.

97 Likes