Had to share an ESO moment

I play a couple of other games including Elder Scrolls Online, and I know this will get shifted off General Discussion but had to share this.

Bathesda gives a daily reward to everyone who subscribes when they log onto the game. It can be very valuable consumables or other handy items but tomorrow’s reward is…

100,000 gold.

Can you imagine if Blizzard sent out a blue post saying “As a thank you to all our loyal players, we are giving everyone who logs on tomorrow 100,000 gold.”

naaa…my brain broke.

8 Likes

No you didn’t but w/e.

I don’t know ESO’s economy but I very much doubt 100k gold is worth the same in both games.

2 Likes

OK, I just thought it was an interesting comparison. And gold is almost as valuable in ESO as in WoW, except you cant buy game time with it. Very expensive gear can go for very similar prices to that in WoW.

11 Likes

I really dig ESO. It cultivates an “enjoy the scenery” type of playstyle. Unlike in WoW, I read and listen to every voicelined quest. Read books. Do lots of solo content, and remarkably, don’t pvp, yet. I think my relationship with ESO isn’t over yet. It really wins me over as a game. But I am more dedicated to WoW. Because my enjoyment in the actual gameplay of the game such as dungeons and BGs surpasses that of the natural enjoyment of ESO.

I think I’ll just be playing both games, at times, for some time.

5 Likes

I get sidetracked in ESO and end up hanging around at inns listening to bard song.

New World tomorrow! Yay.

2 Likes

GW2 has daily log bonuses too as long you complete the tasks and stuff. You get resources, dyes and cosmetics. Some games does the daily login as well, but would it be good for WoW?
It could be something for WoW and keep players motivated as long the rewards are visually decent and not scraps no one cares about.

4 Likes

I agree with you. ESO is very casual friendly, it has a huge amount of content. I just joined a bunch of people doing the Dolmens in Alik’r Desert which are pretty close together near a number of wayshrines. You can pop from one to the next, smack down the mobs and boss and get your chest of goodies. Its a very easy way to get a bit of gear for whatever purpose you want it and you see lots of other people around you in the fights.

World-activity wise, its a lot busier than WoW often is nowadays. Im not into PvP which is probably lucky as its always been a problem area for Bethesda.

ESO has a lot of gold sinks in it vs WoW–BiS gear, a weekly gold vendor for furnishings that will add a new item each week on a year long rotation, about a weeks dues for a good trade guild (don’t ask). 100,000 is about 20 days or so of log on daily quests.

WoW best equivalent is if your have 6+ months of game time you get a free store item (mount or Appearance)

I’m gonna point this out - it’s not just being able to buy WoW time with gold. You can exchange gold for real cash for the Blizzard store. Anything and everything you can purchase with Blizzard balance, you can purchase with gold. This makes WoW gold infinitely more valuable than ESO’s currency, and makes the two not comparable.

Want Overwatch 2? If you have a lot of gold in WoW, you can purchase it. Want Diablo 2 Remastered? You can buy it with WoW gold. How about Diablo 4? Yep, same deal. Wanna transfer your characters? If you have the gold, you can transfer characters off your dead realm and onto a new one.

See the issue? 100k gold in ESO is infinitely less important when you consider these facts. If you think Blizzard should engage with the community more and bring in the occasional nice gesture, sure. I can see that. But acting like Blizzard would give us 100k gold when gold is as valuable as it is, not just within WoW but also to the idea of purchasing other games, services, etc - they’d never do it.

1 Like

Don’t mind the bootlickers that will be rude if you don’t kowtow to Blizzard. Thanks for sharing, it’s an interesting concept!

7 Likes

I never realized this about wow gold lol. Too bad I am terrible at making it (mostly because I’m unwilling to do anything other than what I currently do to make it). Essentially, I’m better off just paying real money for things. It’s still cool you can use wow gold for things though, which I suspected but had never really confirmed until now.

Yes I get all that. ESO has two ways to play it: free and subscription (ESO Plus). When you subscribe you get a lot of extra stuff, including a decent slab of Crowns each month you stay subbed. Given how dependant they are on their shop income, I think Bethesda have a quite decent attitude in that respect. Im not going to get into heavy discussion about it, it was a momentary thought because it seemed a nice gesture.

I loooooove that I can play eso for freeeeee. It’s a little tougher but, it’s still fun, and nice. Cuts down on the total sub cost between everything having a sub cost these days (streaming services).

Thanks for the reminder, I missed a couple of days this month but it’s 100k day tomorrow for me.

FFXIV also have some transmogs rewards based on how long you have had an active subscription.

Those log in rewards are pretty bleh. Sometimes you get a pet or an outfit but those potions and food aren’t that great. Easily crafted food and potions are better. The gold rewards are ok if you are broke but it just shows you how much the gold is worth when they hand out that much for simply logging in.

If you like the rewards that’s fine but lets be honest here. The log in rewards are just a gimmick to boost their metrics for log ins. That’s why a lot of MMOs starting pulling that crap.

Yeah I guess its bad giving away stuff just for logging on. WoW would never do that of course because its such a bad idea, after all they give us so much engaging content.

Well. If ESO is so much better why are you even here?

I shouldnt have taken the bait I guess.

Do you ever play more than one game at the same time, and can appreciate the good and be aware of the bad at the same time? I can - Im very much aware of ESO’s flaws, just as I am of WoWs. But hey, mea culpa, I should really not get annoyed at this sort of thing, I think Ill go make a cup of chamomile tea and watch something silly on TV.

You have a nice day/night/whatever it is where you dwell.

2 Likes

It’s a bribe. It’s how freemium games work. That way, you briefly forget about how much more you’ve spent to get basic things in game.

Way more than a sub would cost, but yay I guess.