Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

wut

Yes I do. Are you claiming you honestly don’t know?

1 Like

yup, it’s a trick.
another word for it is scam

The thing about bid/buyout is that people treat the buyout as a fixed price like going into a supermarket and checking a tag and that’s that. We have an AH, not a super market, so technically bidding is the name of the game. Sure most people set pretty narrow ranges of bid/buyout and that’s that, but having a staggeringly low starting bid and a staggeringly high buyout just means the seller is literally offering the item for a very low potential cost but if you want to beat out everyone else bidding you have to pay a huge amount for it.

I can legitimately set a 2k buyout for some rare pattern but only a 50 bid in the hopes that people will see the “deal” and bid it up like crazy trying to snag it for (seemingly) cheap. If the bidding goes up a ton and I make 1.2-1.5k gold on it, nice, I win a pretty penny. If no one bids at all, I lose my deposit and repost. If I get a single bite, I cancel, lose my deposit, and repost. None of this may EVER work… but I’m entitled to try as often as I can post it to the AH for the nominal deposit fee (if such a fee even applies).

It is all so silly that people are throwing huge fits because they were so overwhelmingly uncareful.

1 Like

No, I am claiming that unless you personally interviewed the seller and got his side of the story, then you can only guess and speculate on their motives and intentions.

So to say that my interpretation is wrong is in itself incorrect, because you do not know with certainty what the seller’s real motives and intentions were.

except no amount of convenience is worth paying 811g for 1 runecloth. and you already know this. you are obviously being disingenuous, as is anyone else defending this scam.

1 Like

Then just bid on it and be done… as the AH is intended.

3 Likes

Stop using blindfolds while buying stuff off of the auction house.

1 Like

Yes, I know. Just like everyone knows what the intent is when someone engages in unsolicited check fraud. And that’s what makes it a scam - the INTENT.

Of course I know. So do you, btw.

Its cause there isn’t one.

Unsolicited loans aren’t a scam and you certainly don’t get to take the high road about being scammed when the only reason you’d cash an unsolicited check without reading the fine print is because you’re a greedy idiot.

No you do not. You only suspect. Unless you have spoken with the seller and gotten their side of the story, you “know” nothing. You only have a theory or speculation based on your limited evidence.

1 Like

ok I’ll bid on it and wait… oh, it looks like the auction was canceled! almost like the seller had no intention of letting anyone get that 1 runecloth for a 1 copper bid. strange. gets the ol’ noggin joggin.

Yup, as you are allowed to do with auctions for any reason or no reason at all. Sometimes it is a slow day and no one really bid on something, sometimes you missed the mark on how low (high) you set it, and sometimes you just want a bit more from that item than was going to sell so you eat the deposit and repost.

I’m sorry you don’t like how the AH works and has worked for 15 years… but not getting your item isn’t a scam.

Do you think you’re entitled to it just because you placed a bid?

1 Like

yes you can’t know anything with 100% certainty. brilliant observation, sherlock. but you can know something beyond a reasonable doubt.

Funny thing about that standard:

• It is reasonable that people place low bid and high buyouts for popular items
  • It is reasonable that people cancel auctions that aren’t selling how they’d like

You don’t have a scam without some kind of fraud or deceit in the first place, but if you’re only looking for intent, you have no demonstrable proof of that either.

PS - You also have no injuries since you paid exactly what you confirmed you would for the item you wanted.

2 Likes

Ah, key point there. If this forum population was a jury, then there is reasonable doubt here. Because as many have pointed out:

• There is doubt a rule was even broken.
  • There is doubt of the seller’s true intentions
  • There is doubt that Blizzard should have gotten involved.

There is a lot of reasonable doubt here.

2 Likes

when someone repeatedly and consistently puts up auctions of 1 runecloth for 999g, there is no reasonable explanation other than he is trying to do some kind of scam. No reasonable person can say that 1 runecloth is worth anything close to 999g. The fact you are pretending otherwise just shows how disingenuous and slimy you are, and if this were a courtroom, the jury would not like you one bit. lol

1 Like

Might I also point out that this entire discussion is based on hearsay. At no point has the actual buyer or seller commented on this thread.

That very fact puts everything under “reasonable doubt”.

As a service to all. The definition of hearsay from a legal perspective is:

“the report of another person’s words by a witness, which is usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.”

Other than the fact that you can’t infer intent from an entirely unregulated activity that only consists of clearly marked pricing and items. This is just your personal rancor and bias, nothing more.

Careful with that, hearsay only matters if we offer an out-of-court statement for the truth of the statement. Put another way, if I offer up the statement said by a 3rd party that says “OH MY GOODNESS HE HAS A KNIFE!!!”:

• It is not hearsay if I offer the statement to show the 3rd party was excited or in an agitated state
  • It is hearsay if I offer the statement to prove that he in fact had a knife

You get to have the jury hear the statement either way which is why people wonder about the purpose of such a rule, but it matters when trying to pin down what has been proven or not.