Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

You sound awfully weak my dude.

Not my guildie. No idea what gender the person was. Entirely irrelevant to the discussion but it’s pretty telling that’s the first thing you’d reach for.

Stop outting yourself

2 Likes

stop simping, STOP, its cringe, this whole thread is hilarious cringe, your analogies are cringe, your life probably is too, STOP SIMPING SHE WONT LOVE YOU.

3 Likes

Who hurt you??

1 Like

Great suggestion.

I personally use two alts. One alt does nothing but sell things on the auction house. The toon never has more than 100g. To pay auction fees.

I also have a bank alt that hold the all rest of my gold and as spill over storage for my auction house alt.

2 Likes

no, but if you clearly try to scam someone, i’ll call you a scammer.

2 Likes

So, because the bid price was so low, did she think she was snipping a great deal from the seller?

How should Blizzard police this . . . at what point is a high buyout price to be considered a “scam.”

Are people selling Black Lotus at ridiculous prices scamming too?

1 Like

all they have to do is adjust the way the AH orders things. it’s not a very big deal
right now it only orders based on the bid price, which makes zero sense when most of the time only the buyout price matters.

1 Like

It’s a fantasy video game…

I mean, people kill each other and don’t go to jail for it in Wow too …

2 Likes

Plot twist, she tried to scam the seller thinking she was buying for 5g

Deceptive pricing, in this case, would refer to fees, contracts, or interest rates - not a poster saying “this is the price I sell for” - and you agree with it and purchase for exact price. That’s not deceptive. It’s not deceptive to have a yard sale and put everything in the yard sale for $10,000, even used clothes. If it sells, it sells, if not - well, you can try again next weekend. That’s what happened. This person saw a bunch of yard sales or vendors and picked the most expensive one.

Did they want to do it? No. Did anyone force them? No. Were they tricked? No, the price was right there for them to see. Was it in any way the fault of the system? No. The price, again, was there. You get confirmation that you must agree to. The system did what it was supposed to do, how it was supposed to do it. It worked. This is user error and there is zero deception or scamming going on here.

Also, I can 1000% assure you that courts refuse to hear cases all the time. A Judge can, and will, throw a case out immediately for things like this. If even they hear it then it can be requested to be dismissed immediately upon hearing it based on the fact that it was a transaction that all parties agreed to.

Also, to Bearhands and others: You want to see how this works in the real world? How I can tell you 100% that it’s not a scam? ebay. Go look at ebay and you can see this EXACT same thing in practice. It’s not illegal, it’s not a scam. If you choose to pay more for an item, as long as the item is exactly what is promised then you simply made a choice. There is no other protection for you. There is nobody who is going to say that the value of an item is less than what you paid because in life - “You get what you pay for.” If you pay 50x the price or 50% the price. As long as the item is as described, you got what you paid for. There is no scam, there is no deception.

The price was listed as 2500g for 5 high quality potions. The person paid 2500g instead of 10, and they got 5 high quality potions delivered right to their mailbox.

OH! And, one thing I was told - this might only apply to retail but maybe someone can test it: if you don’t collect the item from your mailbox after 30 days it goes back to the seller and you get your money back. So there is actually a possible protection in the system, but again… that might just be retail. I do know that stuff I have sold hasn’t sent me the money sometimes for a day or so, so it might apply here.

4 Likes

It’s more like all the apples have a tiny price tag that says $1.00, and in the bunch of apples, the seller has sneakily put a price tag of $100 on one hoping to catch someone unawares. And a lot of people get caught out every day.

Whether this constitutes a scam or not is debatable, even though I feel it fits the definition because the intent is to deceive the buyer.

Of course it is possible that people list absurdly high buy out prices by accident as well. And who gets to decide what sort of price difference constitutes an attempt to scam, 100% or 1,000%?

Just because game law doesn’t expressly prohibit it does not make it less dishonest. Or ‘scammy’.

3 Likes

Blizzard would eliminate AH scams overnight if they would rub their remaining two brain cells together and made AH listing fee a % of the buyout price.

2 Likes

Look at any guitar Eric Clapton sold for charity. Millions of $$$ for things that are trash compared to today’s stuff. Are they worth it? Who gets to decide? Something is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 Like

Terrible analogy.

The person who paid 1,000g for one dreamfoil was certainly not willing to pay that price.

Willing buyer, willing seller is a terrible way to compare these two situations.

1 Like

It’s not a scam plain and simple. Blizzard has made it mongo proof by asking you if you are sure. If you cannot read then you are an imbecile. Doesn’t matter if you have a clam between your legs or a pistol. A fool parts with their money every day.

2 Likes

Too many left brains not understanding there is an entire cycle to consider.

I don’t think you’d have a case on this matter in the slightest since what is considered reasonable vs unreasonable, and deceptive vs open and notorious, etc, is based upon what your average savvy purchaser would come to expect from the transaction.

• Haggling with a car salesman is part of the process, and if you don’t haggle much at all, you can get “taken” for more money than the next guy may spend, but it isn’t an unfair or deceptive practice.

• On the other hand, having a special that includes some free item and then not including that free item despite the free item being part of the impetus to purchase in the first place absolutely would be.

In this case, you have a BID price and a BUYOUT price. Savvy users would know the difference, and would be aware that bids and buyouts have no relationship with one another. This certainly falls under a “spirit of the law” kind of argument, but otherwise wouldn’t strictly matter. People agree to bad contracts, waive warranties, etc, all the time and such matters are upheld because people are adults and allowed to agree to their own stupidity from time to time.

4 Likes

What OP experienced is not a scam simply because it is impossible to prove the dishonest intent of the seller.

Regardless of the fact that OP could have avoided the loss by being more careful, it is equally reasonable an argument that Dev’s can help reduce the incidences of these mis- buys with what seems a minor interface tweak.

1 Like

Dude was apparently bragging about it so… maybe not so hard to prove :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to that particular seller. I am referring any seller who prices their items at ridiculously high prices.

It cannot be proven that every one did with dishonest intent even though everybody knows almost every single one of them has that intent.