Guildie got AH scammed, threatening to unsub and delete her account

if the sale is relying on user error, it’s a dishonest scam. there is no room for debate on that fact.

2 Likes

That’s the thing. The people who say, “Oh, these people are scum of the earth, but they didn’t do anything wrong.”

And then there’s, “It wasn’t a scam, but the buyer should have known better…”

This is the definition of talking out of both sides of your mouth.

2 Likes

If you actually somehow bought an apple for $500 and took them to court over it the prosecution would have to lay out their case for what and why it happened, etc and the defense would eventually have to explain their reasoning for why they did what they did. Maybe the defense explains their apples came from an apple tree planted at the height of mount fuji and is harvested at the peak, etc. They only grow 1000 apples a year and it’s the best damn apple you’ll ever eat and that they tried to explain that but the person just nodded and handed over their credit card.

When they explain that they had a price listed for $500, the person walked up and asked for a pound of apples, and they just wordlessly swiped it and then the person immediately whips around after looking at their receipt and demands a refund that they refuse to honor and their product is just your average honeycrisp? You tell me who you think loses that case.

In WoW product quality doesn’t even exist to make this argument.

Did you know it’s illegal to price gouge?

So many uninformed people here. It’s hard to keep up with ya’ll.

Where was it dishonest? The buyout is clearly posted. When they hit buyout a second verification popped up and asked if they were sure. Stop using the wrong verbiage.
Lying about something does not make it true.

it’s dishonest because it’s relying on the person making a careless mistake in order to be successful.

1 Like

I’ve gotten some discount bags this way. Feels good.

They wouldn’t. It would never make it, the court wouldn’t hear it. If you DID make it into the court, the store’s defense would be: “We have them on camera buying it. The price is clearly listed as seen on the camera, we have it on camera that we asked them if they were sure and they pushed their card at a us again.” and they would win. That simple. We know who would lose, the person complaining that they paid $500 for an apple because they literally had no argument beyond “I was impatient”. That’s not a legal defense and it doesn’t make someone a scammer because they sat there with something listed at a high price.

And price gouging isn’t really what you think it is. That seller did not have a monopoly on the product, it wasn’t an emergency where the person could not walk away, it was not due to sudden increase in demand with only a few products possibly available - It was “The price is one of a thousand others listed, and they chose to buy that one.”. That is not what price gouging is, that’s someone just having their prices high. And no, setting a high price is not illegal. People do it all the time.

3 Likes

Agree to disagree.

1. The price is clearly listed
  2. There is a confirmation window to make sure you paid attention

If you still need fail-safes and idiot-checks, that’s on you, not anybody else.

People need to grow up and learn how to take personal responsibility for their actions. Expecting big-brother to baby-safe every sharp corner leads to a garbage society filled with garbage people. Put on your big-girl knickers and grow the hell up.

Stop blaming others for your own short-comings and your own life will be improved.

8 Likes

If I put a item that cost 5k at 1g bid 20k buyout its not a scam, its an alternative to an open bid auction.

In this case, the injector isnt near 5g, its more like 30g and its not a common item like raw materials. Its not the same as putting rune cloth 2g/200g or even healing potions 4g/400g.

In this case IMO not necessary a scam, the bid price was low for the item and its not something that you buy in bulk.

I’d argue that in the long run, it is more caring and empathetic to have people learn from their mistakes.

It is not possible to protect every human being from every dishonest person. We must learn to make smart informed decisions, take responsibility for our actions, and yes, learn from the hard lessons and mistakes that everyone in the world experiences. How else can any adult function independently in this world? It’s crazy that you perceive this sort of thinking to be a right-wing “conservative” viewpoint.

I do empathize with this player. Honestly I’d like to see them get a partial refund but that sets a weird precedent and we all know Blizz will do nothing about this.

Maybe her guild can set up a “collection plate” and/or ppl can spread the word to never buy the offending player’s auctions. If this is a bank alt and anyone know their main, “out” them. Server reputation means something after all.

2 Likes

just admit you are a scammer and don’t care about your immorality. at least be honest with yourself

I promise you a $500 apple purchase would find its way into court. No matter how ridiculous a case sounds to you unless the case is outright frivolous or filed in bad faith it will end up in court. All that needs to exist is a solid foundation for their case. A judge will not look at a case and simply say “Pft, should have paid attention”

You’re creating your own perfect scenario on how to explain why the sale would always get dismissed on the assumption that the seller did everything in their power to clearly articulate the sale. For WoW we don’t even have to discuss this because Blizzard is just hands off. They are truly a free market in that regard and that is what it is at that point.

And yes, if there’s ample evidence the store did nothing wrong then yes they’d win. Likewise if there is ample grounds to believe the sale was misleading, or simply an immediate lack of evidence that everything was kosher, the case becomes far more complicated and to that I say if a case reaches a judges desk a $500 apple sale would case them to raise their eyebrows on that single understanding.

And as I believe we started in a farmer’s market (not a store with cameras and verification of how the transaction went down) suddenly your perfect scenario becomes a lot more gray and the judge is asking more questions.

Why was the apple $500?
What is the market value of an apple?
What did every other stall have their price at?
Is this apple a common or a rare variety?
How did the transaction take place?
What happened after the transaction?

Etc etc.

The plaintiff would likely claim the transaction was wordless with no price given and the defense would likely claim they did state the price. If witnesses existed they could be called to corroborate events because likely video evidence doesn’t exist and everyone is on the honor system.

In the end the judge is going to rule on what he has been able to learn throughout the testimony and unless the defendent has a compelling case to back up his $500 listing my money is on him losing because a $500 apple doesn’t even pass the sniff test. There’s a reason the legal term “reasonable person” exists and that’s also why a judge is going to look into a case that involved a $500 apple sale.

I know exactly what it is. The person I responded to said companies get to set their own prices, and while that’s true there’s also limitations. If we lived in an actually free market the government would be laissez Faire.

2 Likes

This doesn’t fall under that category tho.

Use words right FFS. It’s not a scam. WE can agree it sucks that it happened but its not a scam.

5 Likes

you clearly don’t know tho. You tried to claim it in a situation where it would not apply.

pay attention next time

I am sorry but I am not seeing how a person get scammed on the auction house. Honest question… do you not see what you are buying?

I buy and sell on the auction house daily and I don’t see how someone could mistakenly buy something. I don’t mean to imply that you are lying, I just don’t see you couldn’t know the price of what you are buying.

Maybe it is just my auction addon hides some glaring flaw in the stock ah UI.

2 Likes

This is in no way a scam. The bid and buyout prices are clearly listed on every item. This was a failure to pay attention. This was user error.

4 Likes

Your analogy is terrible sorry

A more fitting one would be: Theres a guy selling apples behind a sign that says $1/lb. You ask for 2, give him your credit card and he runs it for $500. You complain and he points to another very small sign that says (Or $250 per apple, all sales final.)

You wouldn’t call the police (since those of us who occasionally frequent the real world understand they deal in criminal not civil matters,) but you’d certainly dispute the transaction and you’d almost certainly get your money back

2 Likes