Guild mate banned for 37 days for guild chat?

We have a guild mate that was banned for 7 days for nasty words in guild chat (I don’t condone bad language, but he was literally just parroting stuff we were saying in discord and it wasn’t like, directed at anyone).

Whatever, 7 day ban… what can ya do.

Except hours before the ban expired, it extended to another 30 days…

Is this normal? Are people able to get banned for guild chat in general (a GM told us via ticket this shouldn’t be possible, although I think he’s wrong)? Why would blizzard extend the ban?

It’s so outrageous to all of us that he got banned in the first place for essentially swearing… but to lose another 30 days means this guy is quitting the game. I’d love to understand what happened.

He’ll want to appeal it if he wants it reviewed.

Are actions from guildchat common - no. But we aren’t prohibited from doing so if it is egregious enough.

He has to be the one to ask this be looked into.

7 Likes

Did your Guild Mate submitted an appeal?

Thank you for the reply. I think the simple answer is a guild mate reported it, and therefore it will stick (and if he offended someone, so be it, it is deserving - we want a positive community!) - but why 37 days instead of 7, or 30?

1 Like

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that another offense was actioned after this one.

6 Likes

Normally chat violations double? And while I cannot definitively say this is the reason, but I do remember some months ago a similar situation occurred. There were a number of folks whose suspensions were supposed to be up and then there was something borked in the system that extended it somehow?

Definitely make sure they appeal and they’re clear that they were suspended for X amount of days, then somehow it’s reading this crazy extension. If they get a templated response, just reopen the ticket with “I still need more help”. They just need to keep it clear that the original suspension was one thing, but this unexpected extension may be an error.

4 Likes

He did appeal several times and I am told he was told to stop appealing. I just wonder if it’s possible that while the reason for the ban is legitimate, the length was somehow misapplied - it makes no sense to get two consecutive bans of varying length for a single instance, I think.

We are honestly wondering if the appeals caused a support person to add 30 days as punishment… I mean, he’s literally been BANNED, and could not possibly get himself another 30 days!

If he had another action taken against him, would he necessarily get an email like he did the first time telling him what caused the ban? These bans serve no purpose of deterrence if we can’t tell why they are applied.

1 Like

I am a member of this guild. The person who has action taken against their account did not play during the duration of the 7 day ban. Also worth noting is that the original ban was not warranted. If there is a GM who cares about this game please review and overturn this game. There is more at stake here than one player’s account; especially going into a new raid where we want to play with our friend.

He should, so he needs to keep an eye out for it and be sure to check the spam bin. That’s something else that should be included if/when he submits a ticket, that he did or did not receive an e-mail explaining why he was suspended for the 30 extra days. I would be sure to tell him to preface that he is not appealing the original suspension.

While it’s nice to stand up for your guildmate, it was warranted. He broke the rules with foul language. Someone was offended by it, and no one can dictate what is or isn’t offensive for another person. That guilt trip you’re trying to lay on about ‘caring for the game’ won’t play here. They do care about the game and the players who want to play it without being slammed with vulgarities. They may miss the opening of that raid, but it will be a lesson learned of what not to do in the future.

8 Likes

It’s actually insane. The guy is basically talking to himself in guild chat and someone thought it would be funny to report it. I hope a human being with a sense of reason will review this and make the right choice. The real abuse here is someone taking advantage of the automated reporting systems with little to no human review.

Lord have mercy, here we go. Every report is looked over by a real live human. Then those humans decide whether or not a sanction should be applied. A temporary silence or squelch may be automated, but anything after that is all done by a live person.

8 Likes

Not warranted. Never have I seen someone get banned for things similar to what this individual said, let alone in gchat. There was no harassment, no excessive vulgarity, etc. I have seen the evidence presented for the ban and it is suspect at best.

1 Like

Well, a GM thought it was warranted and therefore your guildmate got the penalty applied.

Discussing this any further is moot. Only your guildmate can file an appeal. Anything said here will not get the results you are looking for.

3 Likes

Like I said, little to no human review. If a human with a conscience and reason had reviewed this, they would decide that not every instance of words already obfuscated by the vulgarity filter is a bannable offence (else these words would just be blocked entirely outright). So you MUST realize that there is something MORE than just swearing.

Except there wasn’t.

If a Community Manager reads this thread then it’s a win.

1 Like

Or, we learn that any time someone swears, we can get them banned for a pretty random amount of days. I guess that’s kinda fun, right? Built in, semi-automated griefing

1 Like

This is going to go places, and by places I mean it’s going to get locked down. You guys may want to champion your friend, but nothing you say here will have any bearing on what Blizzard decides. It’s strictly between Blizzard and the person sanctioned.

You’ve been told what to relay along, nothing will be done by posting here on the forums as this is a place for players to assist other players. None of the GMs who handle tickets and appeals come here.

He needs to submit a ticket. He needs to be very clear that this isn’t contesting his original suspension, but trying to understand how it went from 7 days to 30 more. If he gets a templated response, hit the “I still need help” button at the bottom of that response and it goes into a higher queue and he’ll get what info he can from there. Tell him to link this thread so they can see Orlyia even said to open a ticket in regards to this.

6 Likes

There’s probably not much detail you can get about this, it’s a private matter between your unnamed friend, and blizzard.

Unfortunately this isn’t a court, you standing up for your friend is admirable, but won’t ultimately help.

The language filter though doesn’t act as a barrier to actions taken against an account due to language.

5 Likes

A Service Forum Agent read this thread and that is all you are gonna get. And no, it will not be a win for you. Guess we just wait for Orlyia to close the thread if you continue on this path.

6 Likes

Getting this as much exposure as possible with the time available to me is the intention. Don’t mind if random unrelated people read and disagree.