[Guild Management] Guilds and raid loot

With Dragonflight came once again loot rule changes, some hate it, some love it, but this is not what this thread is about.

This thread is about giving guilds the control back on how to handle loot. Once the raid is a guild group, let the raid leader decide if it’s master loot, personal loot, or need before greed. The current loot rules are not working for some guilds and would rather see a different one, just let them.

7 Likes

Speaking as a GM/Raid Leader/Loot Distributor, each system has it’s benefits and shortcomings. I’ve become fairly convinced there is no perfect way to do loot.

Master Loot works well for the min/max guilds. Let them put gear on the character they want to, but they might get pieces that their group doesn’t need.

Personal loot is theoretically perfect for pugs, but has the issue of not being able to trade higher ilvl items (even though they may not be an upgrade). In guild groups this is also very frustrating as you might get a 3ilvl increase not be tradeable that you don’t need, but someone else in your guild desperately needs the item, that you can not trade them.

Need before greed also works for pugs, but you have people who need on everything whether they need it or not.

The system does need to be examined.

Completely agree with this. If non-guild groups are forced into a loot system, that is what it is. But the coding clearly already exists to determine whether or not its a guild group, so adding the choice of loot method once the threshold is crossed seems like a no-brainer.

I’m fairly convinced there is no perfect loot system, but I think the closest you will get is fully tradeable personal loot.

Pros:

• No “dead” items (Warglaives with no DH’s, Bows with no hunters)
  • Would take some drama out of some guilds (you only give it up if you don’t need it)

Cons:

• Lose the “see the loot on the boss’s body” factor, a core part of an MMO
  • System can still be abused.

As an individual in my position, I’m honestly not sure what I want to see most. Fully tradeable is a must. Please never bring back those restrictions, but beyond that I’m not sure. Trinkets and Tier will always cause issues. The only way to remove loot drama entirely is to remove loot, which is never going to happen for obvious reasons. (Although I did talk about another difficulty with no loot here: If DF Season 2 is the new template, raid difficulties need changes - #2 by Letholas-veknilash)

3 Likes

I just want to bump this again as it has been a discussion in my guild recently.

To add the feedback of my GM to this:

I will give you my thoughts on the loot system currently.

I do not like it.

The change in how we get gear in raids is one of the worst back steps Blizzard have made in the last few years. Personal Loot was great for a guild like ours. It is down to the loot gods and you and anything you got spare was distributed out accordingly.

I wanted to see the change play out, how we would be with rolling on items and to be fair it has gone as pretty much I expected. Its added frustration whether by someone feeling they should get the item first, those not getting the items over people who did, people getting multiple items on alts, people having a good run of luck and getting all in one raid. Despite it only going from not showing the rolls at all, to everyone now seeing them – having the illusion there dispelled any frustration.

Please, Blizzard. Give us the option to decide our own loot rules in a guild raid, you’re creating stress amongst your player base which can be entirely avoided.

2 Likes

What would an alternate loot system be able to provide. Instead of trying to correct an issue from systems deemed unworthy to many. Would having a new structure for loot be warranted?

What would that system look like?
What are the key parts of the machine, so to speak, that would allow all parties to be able to access all content without regard to all the negative in play currently.

A raid prompt that a setting has been changed. It cannot be mixed or altered unless every agrees. If they don’t, players are unable to begin?

What makes a good loot system outside of what we have currently?

As I’ve said, guild groups should decide what loot rules they want to follow, or well, the leader of that group :slight_smile:

1 Like