Guild Banks Pt. 14

…you know those were all quotes from your post right?

I’m responding to you?

Yeah but you said:
the Vanilla game did have a system that replicated a version of the modern Guild Bank

and then you said:
Just because you use your personal characters bank for guild storage doesn’t mean it’s an actual guild bank.

You also said:
The management of items and who has access to those items is already in Vanilla

and then proceeded to argue against your own statement again by saying:
Big difference since the modern guild bank allows withdraws from it with only permissions.

You can’t argue that there was a system that replicated modern guild banks and then say it’s not a guild bank?

This is a point worth talking about. Yeah, both systems could have bank alts present. Can’t say for sure but we could reasonably assume that there would be less if guild banks were in the game, right?
I’m not going to argue about the convenience factor involved with risk caused by factors that are external to the game’s design as that’s pretty subjective. If your guild QM is 100% trustworthy then there’s no risk at all and that’s extremely ‘convenient’.
As for the the gold cost of bags…make another alt instead. You still get a bank and a 16 slotter for nothing.

Extra baggage either way? I’m afraid you lost me on that one.

1 Like

When vanilla was live, mailboxes all over Azeroth had a form of lice all over them. We called them bank alts. That’s what I’m referring to.

So guild banks also function as a delousing agent. I might be convinced to go along with guild banks just to get that image out of my head.

1 Like

I’m saying that bank alts can act as a guild bank. If the players use their personal bank space in that way. It is not a shared bank space like the modern guild bank. I don’t get how that is confusing. They can do the same function and be completely different.

You know that World of Warcraft Guild Banks have permissions right? That’s a little different than asking someone to withdraw an item. One is automatic and the other is not. You also conveniently leave out the part where I explain how they are different even though you said there is no difference.

1 Like

It’s not confusing at all. The point I’m making is that vast swathes of this thread are people stating that guild banks were never in vanilla. You’ve just said yourself that it did have a system that replicated guild banks. Whether or not people choose to use it is irrelevant.
I just chose to highlight this because I’ve made the point a few times now that although ‘Guild Banks Inc.’ weren’t in vanilla, their functionality largely was, which is what you’ve said as well.

Yes. Personally, I don’t believe that asking someone for x out of the guild bank alt and having them relog to mail/trade something really adds anything to the game. Regardless, if the permissions are set so that that same person can’t withdraw, they still have to complete the same amount of communication.

Gee. Ya got me. The whole comment definitely changes the context…
Big difference since the modern guild bank allows withdraws from it with only permissions. I can walk up to the guild bank take what I’m allowed to take without having to discuss it with anyone. In Vanilla you had to ask for the items and then wait to receive it.

I’m sorry if you thought I was misrepresenting your argument. Wasn’t my intention and would be fairly pointless given that the original post is a click away for all to read.

Which is why the modern guild bank isn’t needed. It’s functionality is already in the vanilla game, just in a different form.

1 Like

That’s your opinion. My opinion is that I would rather a static object with the same functionality instead of hundreds of bank alts.

5 Likes

And thus we go to thread Pt. 15

2 Likes

ITT

“I have no counter to the one hour delay being reinstated, so just I’ll dismiss that as irrelevant.”

1 Like

Here’s the math breakdown on bank alts. Ten total characters per server. Each character could have 12 bags of 16 spots each (5 for the character and 7 for the bank) Each character also gets 28 banks slots. Doing the math:

12 bags x 16 slots= 192 potential slots
Bank slots = 28 slots
Total potential storage/character=192 + 28=220 slots.

220 slots X 10 characters per realm= 2200 potential storage slots/server

Guild bank tabs have 98 slots per tab. Again, doing the math.

2200/98= 22.44 tabs for a grand total of 1120 gold. (A little less actually as I rounded the first bag to 1 gold) In other words, players can each potentially get just over 22 tabs worth of space for the cost of 4 guild bank tabs. (Probably less unless they massively overpay for bags) Also, I believe there were 18 slot bags, but I wanted to use a number more easily obtainable by the casual player.

Why do I do all of this math? I’m not thinking about launch day because the effects won’t be felt on launch day. The effects will be felt later on when there are potentially hundreds of thousands of gold not being taken out of the economy. How much later? I don’t know. I would say at least a year, but that is at best a blind guess.

Again, I’m anti guild banks if for no other reason than I never got the opportunity to experience the 1.X.X version of WoW. I’ve been anti guild banks and I’ll stay anti guild banks. However, reason dictates that staying anti guild banks means that I have to be part of the discussion to find an alternative gold sink and right now, I can’t think of an alternative.

I mentioned this in a different thread, but Classic being a closed (in other words, there comes a point where there are no new goods or services) economy means there are new dynamics and new rules. Blizzard may have something in mind, but if we as players want a voice, sooner or later we’ll have to have this discussion. Of course we can table it for today, or even until launch, but once launch day arrives, the countdown starts and nobody knows how much sand is in the hourglass.

As in my previous lengthy posts, I’m putting this out there for both sides to consider. If nothing else, I hope it fosters discussion beyond the snark, blanket dismissals and gainsaying that all too often occur.

No no no no no no no
no no no no no no no
That’s 14 times because its part 14 thread. no guld banks please

1 Like

This all depends on the cost of a potential guild bank tab and the economy. The vanilla economy was/is very different to TBC. It’s a proud moment when you make your first gold.

Even if they were 100g for the first tab as they are in live, that’s still a lot of money.

It is until we get to a point of people having stock piles of gold.
Possibly a price increase if blizz sees fit to combat but idk if it’s worth it or not to blizz.

OHHH. Big Fesz with another “Gotcha!!”

It’s not worth countering. You can get from anywhere to anywhere in vanilla in less than an hour so why is that relevant in this scenario?
If you’re crafting or getting ready to raid, you’re likely to be in a city anyway.
If you’re elsewhere and you need something urgently, you’ll just make the journey as you would with a guild bank. If you don’t need it urgently then it’s irrelevant either way.

3 Likes

Let’s use the example I used earlier.

Billy is in Gadgetzan doing the blacksmith quests. Johnny is in Stormwind.

Billy needs thorium and asks if anyone has thorium. Johnny answers that he has stacks and stacks of thorium and he will drop it in the mail to Billy.

Billy says he doesn’t want to wait an hour, but he also doesn’t want to travel all the way from Gadgetzan to Stormwind and then back to Gadgetzan again.

Billy says “Just drop it in the guild bank in Stormwind, and I’ll grab tit from the guild bank in Gadgetzan. That way neither one us needs to travel anywhere and I don’t have to wait that hour for the mail.”

That one hour delay is hardly irrelevant, nor can it simply be dismissed because it doesn’t support guild banks being implemented.

3 Likes

Why would you not just go to Ratchet and then take a quick flight to SW?

I’m not advocating linked guild banks regardless; not that there is any less communication involved with that.

1 Like