Guild Bank Missing Items Update

I wasn’t personally affected by this, but hot damn! If I was, I’d be spitting chips too. This is a far bigger issue than many people realize. I honestly cannot recall a more egregious case of “welp, items gone poof” in the entire history of wow.

I remember day 1 vanilla 2004 we would often get server rollbacks so you would lose anything you looted/character progress in the interim. But the rollbacks usually only affected several hours of playtime. Not many years.

What a shemozle. 🫨😱

1 Like

Don’t forget about the mailed items immediately going soulbound :rofl:

1 Like

Your response clearly lacks empathy.

This thread isn’t for you.

When you lose progress on your character sometime in the future because the devs couldn’t be bothered to fix their bugs before release, then you’ll come back here and say … what? Oh well? It’s just nostalgia? Please.

People that have losses have all ranges of reasons, all valid reasons, to be upset.

This is the most significant failure I’ve seen from blizzard in a long long time.

20 Likes

Of course, people don’t like a difference of opinion. And, lack of empathy or no, my opinion is just as valid as yours.

1 Like

There is a difference in remaking a sandwich and data being lost.

If the data is gone, no amount of hopes and prayers can bring it back.

It really, really sucks and Blizz deserves all of this for letting it happen on their watch. The people who lost stuff through no fault of their own deserve better.

Furthermore, this is why I place no value in any of this outside of “Was I entertained today?” We own none of this, its all just pixels we’re renting. Wouldn’t blame anybody in the slightest for flipping the double-freedom rockets and walking.

1 Like

This character’s 7-tab guild bank was affected. After receiving 20 items in the mail, by my estimation, 68-72% of the occupied bank spaces were unable to be restored. I also want to note that I had early access for anyone who believes that that group was spared from the bug or had full restorations performed.

I followed the post in the Bug Reports forum for the last several weeks until it was locked. I was hoping that once the problem was identified, we’d have our items restored, even if it took additional time to make that happen. In the meantime, I went about my business, distracting myself with the expansion and checking the forums every so often for updates.

Now with this announcement paired with what was returned to me, I feel like I’ve just had a house fire and lost things that I can replace over time and things that I cannot. That I have to come to terms with the news and process this loss as I would any other loss. The belongings might be virtual, but it doesn’t feel any different to me as if they’d been tangible things. Some items had memories attached to them and others represented time invested (decades) in this game.

What is equally if not more disheartening for me besides not having the guild bank fully restored is seeing the lack of communication (a form of support) for the US-realms players. Instead, we had to venture to the EU forums for updates and at one point, even had to translate a blue’s post from French to English just to try to feel like we’d not been forgotten about, that something was being done for us.

I’ve had a continuous subscription for 18 years and I think that this experience might be the first time in nearly two decades that I have not felt like a valued customer. It has also left me wondering what is the point of grinding reps, farming mounts, earning titles (aka motivators to play), if data can be irreparably lost.

It certainly doesn’t help that currently, it appears there’ll be no goodwill gesture that, even though it wouldn’t make us whole, would show they value us as subscribers.

The only comfort I have as I consider my next steps is that I am not alone in the experience and that my grief is shared among others. To my fellow adventurers, thank you for sharing how this has affected you as it has encouraged me to post to add my voice to yours.

20 Likes

Surely we can all agree that the opinion of whether or not the exact items were important isn’t what matters here. What matters is Blizzard didn’t hold up their end of the “bargain” by keeping our data secure.
Even if I decided to fill my guild bank with grey vendor trash, it should be there until I take it out, or the servers shut down.
Blizzard implemented guild banks for storage, and we, as customers have every right to demand that the designated storage systems… store our stuff?

19 Likes

I totally agree with you.

In b4 some tool starts quoting the ToS…

13 Likes

Its like having a house fire, then calling up your insurance to find out they’re the ones who started the fire. Also they’re not going to replace anything because the records of what you owned were conveniently in the same fire, that they started. Now we’re being told just to get over it, but keep paying that insurance subscription.

Absolute Insanity.

27 Likes

I had a guild bank for storing battle pets mostly level 25 that I leveled and sell continually. They are a slow sell but they sell hence the need to store them. There is holes all over that bank now that were once full of pets but none of it was 20 years old or saved for nostalgia.

12 Likes

If that is/was the case, that’d be a case of a Blue (aka: Blizzard) didn’t understand. Which goes right back to the mess they made and the mess they are covering up.

You cannot ever expect a customer to understand what is happening behind the scenes since they don’t have access to that data.

2 Likes

If the Data is lost the only thing Blizz can do now is give the effected players game time.

1 Like

It turns out that there was a different issue at the same time involving the warbank. They COULD see those items. But people kept posting about warbanks in the guild bank thread, and the blue was referring to the warbank. But it wasn’t necessarily clear if someone ONLY saw the blue post and didn’t look at the context that led up to it.

3 Likes

I’ll refer you to this :point_down: :point_down: :point_down:

Actually, no, it was Vrak, and he did understand the issue. He was replying directly to someone who said there were items missing from the warbank. Vrak said he could see those items.

The problem is when the post ended up on like, the wowhead blue tracker, in a guild bank thread. And people assumed based on that.

I didn’t see the post on wowhead nonsense blue tracker whatever. I could careless where it was posted or in what context. Apparently, it was wrong from Blizzard to state it and that is them problem.

Given the fact that Blizzard has destroyed GB’s, and wowhead refuses to cover it, I’d say I am inclined not to believe anything from either at this point ever again.

You are welcome to continue to support and be a champion for Blizzard but I’m not going to participate.

1 Like

Not supporting or championing them at all. Just saying putting the blame on the CS blues isn’t right because they not only didn’t have anything to do with it, they didn’t have any more info than we do. I’m all for criticizing the right people, but there’s no need to shoot the messenger.

2 Likes

I’m really sad that no one has had any good conspiracy theories yet.

I like to picture someone working there got mad after losing a duel, so he took a hammer to the servers.

I made that up, but the best ones are made up.

1 Like

All blues represent the company and are the face of Blizzard. That is their job and their function (whether you want to agree or not – it is the cold hard facts).

I’m not “shooting” anyone. I can assure you if that were the case, you’d be really unhappy with me. There is no need to really respond to me any longer. We don’t agree and never will. :point_down: :point_down: :point_down: :point_down: