Guild Bank Missing Items Update

Did you forget about crowdstrike already

3 Likes

Well they changed delves several times last weekend so I mean
Technically if they really want to they can be there on the weekend.
But I doubt they will be doing this on the weekend.

1 Like
8 Likes

Gotta love the number of ignorant people who have no concept of the technicalities or complexities, but act like they do.

On a completely separate note, Microsoft announced a 60B stock buyback and 10% dividend increase.

A few days after more layoffs in it’s gaming division.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh look – a rotating ALT here to pretend like you know something about this.

6 Likes

People must be wondering why there’s downtime after maintenance then.

1 Like

Just remembered something… didn’t they say the items were still visible on their end at one point? That they were still there but not visible to players? If that’s the case… this current explanation falls rather short of the truth or we were lied to at that point.

15 Likes

Browsing backups is not the same as making it consistent with all the item withdrawals and deposits since then. Especially when one is not aware of which items actually were lost per se.

That was said a couple of times yes.

3 Likes

I think I saw someone quote that on the Bug Forum mega thread. I definitely heard that somewhere because I was worried about putting items in the guild bank overwriting the old ones, and didn’t use the guild bank since everything went missing.

2 Likes

I really doubt a compressed backup of the database of all the guildbank and player inventory/bank contents exceeds 40TB.

Doing the math here. Right now at retail price (not even including wholesale discounts they should be able to get from partners) Blizzard or anyone can buy a 20TB WD Gold Enterprise SATA drive for $420 (or $21/TB). To buy 4 of them to put in raid would cost $1680. To add on two additional drives not in RAID but kept on a shelf with an additional copy would raise the total to $2520.

By contrast I’ve spent over $2000 myself over the lifetime of my WoW career on subscriptions, expansions, digital store purchases and services.

Yet apparently springing say $5000 for some sets of drives for back-ups that go back a few changes, a few patches, a few months is too expensive for them. They cannot afford it.

It makes you question. Are we ever getting back the ability to restore our deleted characters? What’s the hold-up on that exactly? Or are we going to be told in 3 months “oh sorry, we can’t restore those, uh technical limitations or something”.

And this people, is the new Blizzard, the changed Blizzard, the Blizzared we are told has learned after Shadowlands and cares for us and wants to be better towards us. Hah hah hah.

Maybe it’s not the fault of devs, maybe it is. Maybe they’re not given the money to implement a proper back-up scheme by corporate, maybe they don’t want to take the time to do that and then implement a way to utilize it when all goes wrong because that takes up too much of their valuable time they’d rather spend on something else. For all we know all the information needed to reconstruct it is available it would just involve a lot of human effort and CPU cycles and it was deemed too expensive, players not worth it.

But I know how it is these days, let’s not be unreasonable I mean they do run a charity after all, not like they charge for not only the expansions but also monthly access fees as well as a shop for whales to buy mounts and pets and looks and of course definitely not pretty expensive character services that add to that revenue on top of also selling access to in-game currency which is used by people to pay for carries.

Certainly not like they’re been doing this for 20 years and should know better and have better practices and plans than a new college CS grad would have.

Oh wait… oh no.

See the thing is there are F2P companies that have never had anything like this happen to them. They don’t get guaranteed monthly payments like you do yet they keep player data safe.

Anything less than a full public breakdown of what happened, exactly how it happened, exactly what your process for attempted recovery that didn’t fully succeed was, and what you’ve done since then to prevent it or anything like it that happening to player inventories/banks or warbanks in future and your plans and methods to guarantee that is unacceptable.

This is the end friends. People talk of WoW killers and WoW dying. This is the mark of it. The first big breach of trust, the first big failure, the first sign of the growing rot and the rickety ship of a game you’re actually paying for. The decline is here and it will not be reversed, Microsoft has not helped things one bit.

16 Likes

They’ve had the opportunity for weeks and have said absolutely nothing.

The “gaming press” isn’t independent reporting. It’s basically all shills.

4 Likes

Gotta be real here, absolutely amateur. We just testing in prod at this point? We all know betas aren’t accomplishing anything meaningful for the playerbase. Do we not have a snapshot of all server data prior to a major release? Where is the disaster recovery program?

My guild had mostly full tabs and was among those that were the LEAST impacted (a handful of slots missing per tab, for a total of about 70 in all). I am the guild leader. I received 6 items (one mail per item) back from the postmaster. Weirdly enough, 5 of them were all just cloth from prior expansions, and 1 was one of the components to the WoD Garrison Auctioneer.

Since I had everything organized, it’s fairly easy for me to know the minimum of what I’m missing:
12 slots of misc cooking ingredients.
At least 11 slots of misc ingredients.
At least 2 slots of ores.
At least 9 slots of leatherworking recipes/ingredients.
At least 6 slots of additional cloth ingredients/recipes.
At least 7 slots of gems.
At least 3 slots of Blacksmithing recipes.
At least 3 slots of fish.
Probably another WoD Garrison item (I know I was missing one, but I have a 2nd sus slot).
At least 2 slots of enchanting recipes/ingredients.
At least 6 slots of herbs.

But thanks for my 261 Silk Cloth, 703 Mageweave Cloth, 1579 Frostweave Cloth, 247 Runecloth and 1 Arcane Crystal Amplifier. Really makes me feel better.

What this is all code for is that they don’t want to spend the time to restore everything. It’s probably in a messy pre-update excel file somewhere and what we have right now is what they’ve manually been able to VLOOKUP against a post-update spreadsheet. Some exec has decided to pull the plug on a full restoration. That’s what this boils down to. Not because they can’t. But because they won’t spend the time on it.

18 Likes

I don’t believe for a second that Blizzard cannot restore ALL the items. I do believe they do not want to dedicate the manpower to get the job done correctly.

I’m still waiting for my items Bliz!

14 Likes

Im sure large guilds are fine, especially ones with streamers in them, this is complete bullsh*t, we got back some cloth, thats it all the farming and saving all gone no gold to replace it or anything, just some dumbass response from blizzard.

3 Likes

How will the guilds who will not receive all of their items be compensated? This is a huge error causing loss of gold and many, many hours of farmed materials.

8 Likes

exactly, hope this gets answered

2 Likes

I like how this says “missing items” as if “mistakes were made.”

Also there is no timetable for restoration given. Is what we got today all of it? How will we know when the incomplete restoration process is “complete”?

3 Likes

They have logs of all that. You take your safe known-good back-up, you preserve it. You then take a snapshot of what you have to work with now. You then do a diff.

Then you capture the log entries for deposits and withdrawals in the timeframe between the two captures, you exclude those from your dataset as missing items. What you’re left with are items that should be but which are not anymore.

Back-ups in a useless format aren’t backups. Disaster recovery that isn’t possible because you can’t commit the time to engineering a way to interact with the data an reintegrate with live just means you don’t have disaster recovery. And if you don’t have disaster recovery then their only option, the only reasonable, honest thing to do would have been to immediately throw the switch to roll back the servers completely and entirely and admit launch as a failure. However they didn’t want to do that and they may have not wanted to deal with this mess because it takes too much time. So people are suffering because they couldn’t admit they messed up and pull the big lever.

Personally I would implement a 9th guild bank tab and unlock it for all guilds. It would be locked to player deposits but would allow withdrawals. I would then have my process insert into these tabs any items that are marked as BOP (these are legacy hold-over items that weren’t originally flagged bop when deposited) that can’t be mailed which are from the restoration, allowing them to be moved to another tab by the guild master. I’d then mail the rest to the GM, same as they’re doing.

It’s a multi-step process. It involves processing a lot of data and would require some CPU power. Design of various steps, some testing but it’s doable and importantly it could be automated so they wouldn’t need a human touch.

Fact is they know what items were lost. Or they should have that information. If they don’t it’s because they didn’t do back-ups. Items don’t normally just vanish without a log entry, it’s not possible. If items are gone without a trace they are by definition part of this bug and eligible for restoration.

7 Likes