Guardian AI Bugged

Guardian AI should probably be looked at over all. Just not from the bug that is produced in this clip, but perhaps a better understanding of how they should work in Classic versus how they worked in Vanilla. Should their broken-intended behavior be something that is true to Vanilla’s nature or should it be fixed to emulate the corrected idea of a Guardian?

In the clip:

• Combat is initiated and mob is attacking player.
  • Defender of the Timbermaw trinket is used and the guardian summoned.
  • For the entirety of the fight the Guardian does not attack the selected target.
  • The HP trigger for which this specific Guardian is to switch to defensive does execute.
  • Melee swing from the player is used in hopes that maybe that would correct the behavior of the Guardian not attacking. It did not.

What I have noticed elsewhere:

• This bug doesn’t occur all of the time and it’s hard to reproduce, but it happens with Explosive Sheep, Barov, Dragonlings, Battle Chicken, and of course Timbermaw. I’m sure it’s like this for all Guardian’s.
  • I’ve also noticed that even if you’re in combat and actively being attacked but are outside of a specific Yard range and you summon your Guardian then. The Guardian will not engage in combat and instead stand by your side.
  • I’ve been unable to track exactly the Yard range this occurs at, but it definitely happens at the 30-33yd range. Is this the intended behavior for all Guardians or is this a behavior that should be altered due to the modern nature of Classic in 2020? Should all Guardians be summoned in attack mode on a larger radius?
  • In Phase 2, Gnomish Battle Chicken when spawned will not move and instead remain stationary in the position that you summoned it to. It will only move if a aggressive mob is moved within its attack radius. This was changed from Phase 1.

If anyone else is experiencing similar issues or are able to reproduce the bug. Please add to this report with video evidence and a detailed description as how to reproduce the bug.

5 Likes

I have seen the battle chicken just go AFK after something dies and then its just stuck there… It will no longer do anything after…

I don’t remember that being how things worked in Vanilla at all, but hey I could be remembering wrong.

2 Likes

I can confirm in Phase 3 that the behaviors of the guardians have gone untouched including Gnomish Battle Chicken’s stationary summoning opportunity.

1 Like

Hopefully this is addressed asap, Defender is a really fat grind to get so it’s really disappointing when it barely works.

1 Like

I can tell you with absolute certainty that it worked perfectly in Vanilla, that grind was excessive but the trinket was actually very handy and it always worked.

1 Like

Yea, I actually farmed it in Vanilla remembering how it worked in TBC when I got it originally. Of course, TBC =/= Vanilla and I wouldn’t be surprised if AI was updated between the two.

Nonetheless, Guardian AI has seemed to have changed since Phase 1 to Phase 2 and maybe has gone untouched in Phase 3 thus far. That much we know at least.

1 Like

Dude yea this was pog chap Nonetheless, Guardian AI has seemed to have changed since Phase 1 to Phase 2 and maybe has gone untouched in Phase 3 thus far. That much we know at least.

1 Like

I noticed something else with the Barov peasant caller, the AI guardians will stop attacking a CC’d target such as when I scatter shot, they will then proceed to ignore this target and any other target if that was their original aggro target.

As I remember it guardian AI did not react to CC and would actually break CC if they were active.

This is possibly a TBC feature, this is when they added that feature to our Hunter pets.

1 Like

I had the time to retest these reports. Everything still seems as it has been and has gone untouched or unnoticed.

1 Like

We’ve noticed the same behavior of the battle chicken in our raids as well.

1 Like

I can’t edit my original post anymore, but I’m bumping since I’ve done tests in Phase 5 now and Guardian AI is still bugged. It makes me wonder with how Cthun was snap shot in a version of 1.12.1 where his eye beam was intentionally nerfed for a later fix. If Guardian AI was snapshot with a behavior similar.

Or a gaff such as frost wands not adding damage to Visc? I understand its a low priority “fix” or even to look at it, but nonetheless the behavior still exists so I’m pushing for a response once again.

1 Like

Ive had the same problem with my Arcanite Dragonling its actually ridiculous and i dont know who to get into contact about getting this sent to blizzard for it to be resolved. Heres the thread if you wanna check my experience with it Arcanite Dragonling completely bugged *please fix this blizzard*

Still a major issue that could really help out some of the weaker classes with better players playing them.

1 Like

Honestly i dont even know how to get Blizzard attention on this

I dont think this ever got fixed lol

Is this intended blizzard?

Just a update since Phase 6 is live. It appears something has changed for one or all Guardians. I tested Gnomish Battle Chicken and it now follows you versus remaining stationary. It appears it was reverted to its Phase 1 state.

However, it still does not engage in combat. Is Guardian AI somehow connected to class actions? If caster summons it doesn’t melee?

Has anyone else been playing around with Guardians since the patch?

EDIT: Also tested Dragonling, which also doesn’t attack still. It appears Guardian AI is still bugged in its entirety. Blizzard, if I was a Warrior or if Fight Club complained about this on Discord. Would this get fixed? Need to know if I should get level boosted xD

Yeah I just hopped in and tested the same Dragonlings I tested a month ago, they’re all totally different on the AI front and rarely attack (and only when attacked first or very rarely when the summoner is attacked in melee).

Vanquished Tentacle of C’Thun also has some issues. Most of the time it will not attack after being summoned, even in combat. It will start attacking if hit my an attack though.