Grounding totem is slow to take effect

There is a delay between when the totem is dropped to when the buff will actually take effect.

If you drop a grounding right before an enemy finishes casting, chances are it won’t absorb the spell.

From what I’ve observed what seems to be happening is:

• Grounding totem dropped/placed
  • Grounding Buff appears on caster/party members
  • Totem appears on ground .5 - 1 sec after the buff appears on player.
  • Totem will not absorb spells until totem is fully formed/visible on the ground despite the buff already being active.

I 100% remember shamans dropping grounding last second to absorb spells, particularly silences and polymorphs.

1 Like

So many things that used to be instant suffer from this. Why does the game feel laggier to play now than the original?

2 Likes

yeah it feels like when i heal players it takes a .5 sec for the HP to register after heal has landed.

I also notice if I go out of the totem’s radius and lose the buff then go back in to it, it takes a while before buff registers on me again. Instead of the buff appearing the second I cross either the 20yrd or 30yrd line (depending on talents) I’ve run right up to the totem before it actively buffs me again.

1 Like

This is a spell batching interaction, not generally a bug.

1 Like

Well they need to fix spell batching then because it’s mucking a lot of things up making them un-vanilla like.

Spell batching is, in theory supposed to improve multiple spell interactions at once but it seems to be handled poorly currently as many agree.

There were private servers who had more blizz-like/vanilla-like game play. I really hope they get the bulk of these issues sorted in due time.

1 Like

Exactly. A lot of small things are completely feeling off because of this. It ranges from annoying to enraging depending on which skill/classes bug we’re talking about.

1 Like

H3y bl1ZzaRd w3 w4n7 5p3Ll 8atCh1nG!!!1!! 1!

That’s my guess. The game definitely feels like slog to what I remember. My muscle memory kicked in hardcore. I used to time my spell locks to the last possible blink of an eye to draw time from my opponent but now I have to make sure I give myself extra time by casting early and waiting anywhere from half to a full second for it to go off.

The whole game feels like this from interacting with stuff to just looting. Even watching old Vanilla videos you can watch the bars to see when the click/press occurred to when an ability either started casting or instant casted and we are nowhere near that speed in Classic.

Wild we can watch tons of old videos while Blizz says their “reference” client functions differently from every video we see.

We have entire DR tables in post-vanilla states, itemization that functions like it did in BC, Wrath, Cata, etc.

It’s a mess, IMO.

1 Like