Graphics menu instant revert

Hello,

Super annoying behavior I have never seen in some 20 years of various renditions of this game/client:

To summarize first- When I load the game, the graphics settings are not obeying the cfg file. They set with entries that do not make sense: for example, v sync is set to “custom”. When I select the drop down, there is the usual “Enable/Disable” to choose from. But if I choose one, as soon as I click it, it reverts back to “custom”.

This happens before I even close the menu or click okay. I cannot get “disable” to stay in that entry box for any amount of time.

Furthermore- every time I do change this setting, all of the graphics settings revert to a set of default settings that are not mine.

For example- ray traces shadows is stuck “on”, but my pc doesn’t even support it. If I try to change it, the same thing happens…it and all of my other settings are reset to some very odd defaults, with “custom” entered where that shouldn’t be an option.

Even MORE confounding, is that I have tried everything to solve this- windows update, new video drivers, completely uninstalled battle net and wow and reinstalled on a different hdd, after deleting every trace of the programs- no luck. As soon as I open my newly installed client, these bizarre graphics settings I cannot change auto load again.

Anyone ever seen something this weird??? It’s like the cfg file the graphics settings are being drawn from is read only (except it and its folders are not).

Please help!!

2 Likes

I am getting the exact same thing. Before it was dropping my enviroment and detail setting by one each time I opened the system menu. Now its just setting alot of settings to custom after a recent small patch.

3 Likes

Thanks for confirming at least, friend. Driving me effing crazy but glad to know it’s not just me. Sad what this company has become.

I’m in the same boat. Just started happening last night. I even turned off server synchronization and reset all my CVars. Turned off HDR… tried DX11. No dice. In Fullscreen mode I’m stuck at 1920 x 1080. The only way to get higher is to switch to Windowed mode but reverts back to 1920 x 1080 when I switch back to Fullscreen mode. Most of my settings are stuck on Custom. I even uninstalled GeForce Experience and wiped my video drivers and installed a fresh copy.

I even tried manually editing my Config.WTF file and setting all the flags to how I like it then setting the file to “read only”. Nope.

1 Like

Yup same here. Was having the issue since Ulduar patch where slider settings kept decreasing by 1 but as of today now everything is showing “Custom”. Even after selecting a different setting it immediately reverts back to custom. So annoying and zero response from Blizzard after a week and a half.

1 Like

I will agree! This issue did just seem to start happening for me last night, and is important to note it is totally separate from the issues of the slowly decreasing ground clutter/view distance, and also distinct from the issue a couple weeks back where the FPS cap would not work, causing people to run the game at 400 fps and be able to cook eggs on their comp case. Something was definitely messed with last night that triggered this! I am interested as to whether we are a select group or if everyone is affected and has just not noticed yet.

One interesting thing I noticed about this behavior/bug after messing with it for hours. It seems to me that for most settings, despite what the graphics menu says about settings like Vsync, Windowed/Fullscreen mode, texture filtering, etc. all reading that they are set to Custom, and despite me not being able to change most of these settings in the graphics menu…

A bit of messing with the console seems to indicate that settings I put in ARE sticking. For example, I can type “vsync 0” on console, and after checking again (including after closing and re-opening the game) if I go back into console and type “vsync” the console will inform me it is still set to “0”. This is despite the fact that the graphics menu says “Custom” and won’t let me change it.

I know vsync is really off too, because if I turn off my FPS cap, the frames shoot up. That wouldn’t happen if it was turned on.

The process is repeatable for most of the settings…

As I noted earlier, my computer does not even support RT Shadows. But in graphics, the setting is stuck on “good”.

When I go into console however, and check on “ShadowRT”, it correctly tells me that it is set to “0”.

Another offender is the AA settings. The graphics menu repeatedly reverts to FFXA low for post-processing, and on the main graphics menu it says “custom”. If I check in console however, FFXA is correctly set to 0 (or sticks that way once I set it). The MSAA x4 setting I want to be active, is confirmed to be active in console (though note if you like MSAAx4 like me, the console command for it will say “MSAA 2,0” (it will then tell you it is setting 4x for color and depth…I do not know the commands for other MSAA settings, but you can find an individual command to turn on CMAA if you like that, too. Again, seems to stick if you check in console).

Playing with the render scale settings in console (renderscale 1.0-2.0 = 100%-200%) also seems to work. MSAA Alpha test correctly says it is on if I ask the console (graphics menu says “Custom”) Resample quality keeps getting set to FFXA lowbut I can confirm it is set to Bicubic as I want it to be, if I check in console (0-5)…all of these settings appear to be active for me going by console, despite the mess in the graphics menu.

So in summary- this is an annoying and somewhat pathetic thing to have happen in a game that is accepting a monthly fee from us, especially for Blizzard to not address it or say they are working on it. Despite that, I think that aside from the frustration, most settings will actually prove to be active as you desire them to be set, if one does a check in console…or at worst (for me) they stay set one I set them in console. It is just the graphics menu that is displaying the current settings wrong, it is totally bugged. Interested if others have similar experiences!

Note you can turn on the console (~ key) in game settings from Bnet…suggest to semi know what you are doing before you mess with it! GL everyone…

Late yesterday, we applied a hotfix to the game that had an undetected bug, which caused the issues described in this thread.

Earlier today, we reverted that hotfix.

We intend to fix the bug before we redeploy. We do not expect further incidences of this settings bug.

Thank you!

4 Likes

You guys are a joke. You can’t even fix the settings bug without breaking it further. Here is a tip for future updates. Test your update before you deploy it.

2 Likes

I will acknowledge, the custom settings issue is now gone, and the previous “creeping ground clutter” setting issue has returned. I will definitely take this one over the former! Thanks for the action. I hope the rest of the issues can be fixed.

Someone doesn’t know how video game developing works and it shows.

1 Like

What a hostile thing to say to people that are doing their best to fix things and make people happy. You’re a nut.

I agree you shouldn’t be toxic like that, but they are not doing their best, all these bugs, and the Graphics menu sliders bugs and uncapped FPS issues were reported in the PTR many times, and they were still present on release, and for people with older rigs they are potentially game and hardware breaking bugs if they are not versed computers

Im not entirely sure if you guys are in retail or classic but in classic i have remake macro 2 to 3 times because the game doesnt save. Swapping my dual spec used to remove buttons of my bar. I know my issues came from addons so i turn them all off before i make any macros or fix bars or change settings, after i am finished and turn my addons back on they are good. So it could possibly be an addon messing it up. Just a thought. Hope you work it out

Ohh hey since someone is possibly on the other side of this why dont yall fix the botting issues in classic or is that to hard to do?

Thanks for the info/update! Simple acks like this go a LONG way towards garnering good-faith in the player base, much appreciated!

These bugs were reported on the PTR to them way before the patch released and they did nothing to fix it and released it anyways. You are the reason they will continue to release buggy patches. We are paying for this game. We should expect them to do better.

2 Likes

Bugs r a part of the internet and a part of games it’s how it always has been no one is perfect and I think they r doing what they can can’t plz everyone. Blizzard u rock thanks for a great game :heart: plz don’t let us get cut off like china

Actually, you’re wrong.
Every development should have Test/Dev environments where bugs with test scripts should be tested.

However, it is possible for a test script to miss something. But then again you should multiple people running test scrips.

Applying code/fixes straight to production environment (aka live version of the game) is a very bad practice.

I’d imagine Blizz does have a test environment though. Odd things do happen. I’m included to believe it is one of those instances.

PS. I work in devops.

So, is this ever being fixed or?