Gpu usage for wow?

What is the best GPU usage while in combat?

And if you are idle in any main city…

I’m getting around 40% usage while sitting in Daz’lor and 56 c temp

ROG STRIX GTX 1080TI (3 fans) gpu mounted vertical in my case, 50 - 55c usage is about 15-20%. If you’re not aware, wow has never been GPU bound by any means but it is CPU bound so don’t expect much usage of any high end Graphics cards.

3 Likes

Umm my overclocked 1080ti hits 100% usage all the time. So sick of people saying it won’t. Crank up the settings and visit more spots in game

4 Likes

It’s just that in the past at least, pre-8.1, where you would get FPS drops, typically it wasn’t because of GPU, but CPU.

For those of us who run WOW at 4K, the GPU is usually the bottle neck. I have a 9700K overclocked to 4.6 GHz and at no time when playing WoW do any of its cores exceed 40% usage. My GPU on the other hand is sitting at 100% usage constantly. If your CPU is the bottle neck it’s probably because you’re playing at low resolution and aren’t taxing your GPU much.

1 Like

What GPU is that ? and 4.6 GHZ on the 9700k sounds like an under clock.

My thoughts exactly. I think he’s posted before on here stating he has an RX 580. Could be wrong about that.

I’ve got a 5 GHz 8700k and an RX 580 - the only time I really encounter performance issues at my resolution are when there is a bunch of player stuff going on and it’s not usually the GPU that’s causing it.

I tune my settings aiming for 144fps, and usually I am at my target in world content, outdoors, and dungeons.

The only time I get lesser performance is during raids, world bosses, and heavy PvP (drops to only 70s instead of 40s since 8.1)

But then again about everyone loses performance there.

A better GPU would let me increase my settings but I don’t think it will drastically change the times where my preference takes a hit, as mentioned above.

Same, Is there any fixes for this at all? I did everything I Could, still even with Low settings when so many ppl you get low fps.

1080ti

Not really. It’s gonna tank to a certain degree no matter what hardware you have.

With similar GPU power, my 8700k @ 5ghz tanks to the low 70s, whereas my wife’s Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8ghz tanks into the high 50s.

OC you CPU bit higher and it will help a tiny bit.

Mine is 5.00 Ghz … how far should I go :confused:

Yeah dunno man.

Just accept it

50-70% that is after the multicore enhancement. This REALLY depends on your settings. Someone running 1080p and a 5Ghz i7 will likely be quite a bit lower than that. Someone running 4k could easily be higher.

The GPU is a RX 580. For the CPU, the base clock for the 9700K is 3.6 GHz, so 4.6 GHz is a moderate overclock.

Unless you are throttling you shouldn’t be seeing the base clock ever.

Iirc the stock all core boost on the 9700k is 4.6ghz.

You are running it effectively at stock settings.

OCing helps with min frames. 5Ghz is a nice spot. Your luck could let you go higher but might not be a huge perf gain.

Don’t listen to Griefs. I have an i9 9900k and an RTX 2080 ti and WoW DOES NOT use my GPU when playing, even at Max Settings in Major Cities Near Water…

He’s one of those trolls that likes to get on the forums and complain about other people. Look at his 774 posts.

Anyway, just because you’re not using GPU doesn’t mean you have settings on low and should “Crank them up”. I mean, you SHOULD enjoy the game at Max Settings but if you’re not getting good frames on a good card, then you should look at why your card isn’t being used for WoW. Feliciti had the right answer.

1 Like

I’ve literally posted screenshots of GPU at or near 100 percent usage in WoW. Maybe look a my 774 posts a bit more thoroughly, troll. Nice necro, btw.

1 Like

it’s not impossible to max out your gpu usage on a high end card, if you’re at 4k with ultra settings. but it isn’t especially common. the vast majority of fps drops will be caused by cpu limitations, and your cpu being at 40% is normal and does not mean it isn’t being capped on one core.

Even if you don’t have a 4k display, if you have unused GPU grunt, slide up the render scale slider; It will improve the smoothness of edges. People who have a top-of-the-the-line system and don’t even know how to use the settings to get the most of out of their hardware are special.