GPU heating up and fans pushing 100%

Hello,

A little info on what I do on my computer:
Work - nothing intensive, just general cloud programs and accessing servers.
Game - Only play WoW and a rarely a few others (GTA V, Starcraft, Ages of Empire)

Recently I’ve noticed my fans go 100% speed and my CAM app notifies that my GPU went over 83C. The thing that bothers me the most is my fans getting soooo loud.

I built this computer last year (April 22, 2019) and never had an issue until this week. I’ve rolled back nvidia drivers, went to previous Windows, thoroughly cleaned my computer

pastebin 7eK3HFKV (For DXDiag)

Any help would be appreciated and if allowed, I’ll reward a user with a WoW token :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there,

Have any of your graphics settings in WoW changed? The GPU will heat up and fans will ramp up accordingly just depending on what your resolution and graphics settings look like in WoW. You might want to try resetting game settings to default to see what that does.

Also wouldn’t hurt to reset the UI in case there’s an addon causing issues.

Nothing has changed, I never touch anything in the System settings. I understand this will ramp up depending on resolution and settings but I’ve gone and installed a few games where I believe can be as intensive and does not get close to what WoW gets.

I should’ve mentioned that I did a clean install and launched with no add-ons, same issue.

As seasons change we sometimes see this when it’s not hit enough for a/c, but not needing the house to be heated.
How are all your case fans?
Cleaned dust lately?
What kind of fan curve do you have for system and gpu?

1 Like

Yea, I was thinking that but it’s not absolutely convincing since literally no other games are spiking this high.

Fans are all functional (NZXT H700i case: 3x120mm in front, 3x120mm on top, 1x140mm on back).

Cleaned them couple days ago

65c+ 100% speed, 60c 90%, 55c 80%, 50c 75%

And are those intake on the front and exhaust elsewhere?

What’s ambient room temp?

1. Clean out any dust
  2. Enable frame limiter or Vsync
  3. Make sure your settings aren’t set to Ultra (because the game client decides to do that whenever it pleases)

Correct, front intake and exhaust back&top.

Ambient room temp is 72F

Hey Gatorman,

Grab the HWMonitor program and play the game for about 15 minutes. Once you’re done:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left

2. Scroll all the way up

3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key

4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test

5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG

6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.

7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results.

If you have issues pasting here, post the link with a space (ex: Imgur (dot) com).

imgur . com/a/t7VZnPC

Here is with 15 minutes played.

Gatorman,

Your GPU is hitting 84 C and you have an ~30% overclock on it (that is PRETTY big). Try setting it back to default clock speeds. (You can enable Debug Mode in the Nvidia Control Panel if it’s a factory overclock.) It may help you stabilize things. You’re getting so close to the max temperature in the link above that your GPU is probably throttling itself to save your PC from damage. You may want a PC tech to check your overclocks and heat hardware, especially if this is a new card.

Drakuloth,

Yes it’s a factory overclock

and I’m aware of this but my only problem is that it only happens in WoW – which has occurred recently. Past couple days I’ve played Forza Horizon 4, Modern Warfare Warzone, Sea of Thieves, GTA V, PUBG (all in the highest settings) and none of those games get near what WoW pushes. In a different forum, I was told to run “Unigine Heaven” in Ultra and did not experience any issues there as well. Again, nothing on my PC was changed nor any settings in WoW.

Hey Gatorman,

It might seem strange but for the purposes of troubleshooting and narrowing down the possible causes, let’s try the steps suggested by Drakuloth temporarily so we can see if there’s any change.

1 Like

Lowered the clock speed as low as possible and issue still occurred.

I’d just like to chime in as I had an issue as well that occurred to me this morning.

After playing in game for a while my computer kicked me to BIOS. I believe this to be a dust issue and will contact later but I find the issue odd. I am currently playing on an CPU-intensive game and nothing is problematic.

I will try WoW later today when I summon up the courage to play it again.

I have been having similar issues as well, only when I log in to WoW. I keep getting notifications that my GPU temp is high, between 91C-98C, and the fan is very loud. But when I alt-tab out of the game, the fan sound dropped, then tab back into game, and sound gets loud again.

1 Like

This is EXACTLY what happens to me… starting to get frustrated with the situation.

1 Like

Same issue. This is why I’ve made another post in this forum about errors lowering my resolution and putting the game settings to 1.

I alt tab and the fan speed/temps go down. I use HWMonitor too. This has been going on since patch 7.2. I’m routinely pushing 97 celcius on all cores.

I’ve taken apart my laptop (I’d advise anyone not to try that) and found almost no dust. I have a cooling pad. I routinely defrag, run very few background programs, updated my drivers, but WOW keeps demanding a lot of resources in Retail.

Classic only ramps up the fans if I try to push 80+ FPS. In fact, I’m convinced my issue is tied to FPS not being locked despite limiting monitor refresh, Nvidia settings, etc.

And I’m not sure why exactly but having windowed mode vs fullscreen makes things run 50% better.

All options have been tried, is there any updates to this?

Up until today I’ve not had any type of overheating issue. Absolutely none.

Today though… Oh my, had to log off as I was massively CPU overheating.

Nothing has changed at all, I played for a bit yesterday and no problem. Log on today to do some WQ’s and massive heating issue. This is a new computer designed for gaming. iBuypower, i7 9700F CPU 3.00GHz. 16 GB Ram. On a 446 GB SSD with 334 GB free. Nvidia RTX 2070 Super