GPU heating up and fans pushing 100%

Would like an update.

Might be worth a shot disabling any running background applications to help rule out software conflicts. Especially if the problem only happens with specific games like World of Warcraft.

I might also suggest lowering in-game settings, and setting an FPS cap for both foreground and background. The HW monitor is showing the GPU sitting at 100% for a period of time so I think these two items should help reduce stress on the device as well.

Similarly, this is a 4k 144Hz monitor. Reducing window size should help reduce stress on the GPU though it will also make the game progressively more pixelated depending on how far down it goes.

If absolutely none of the above resolves the issue, it may be time to speak with a local PC tech who can interact with the physical components. Let them know the GPU is overheating even though the fans are maxing out. They may look into cleaning out the heatsync, replacing thermal paste, and similar.

I do hope the info helps. If there’s anything else you might need just let us know.

This has been done, did not resolve anything with WoW. Again, it only happens in WoW and everything goes to 100% not even a minute in. I play other games for hours and do not hear anything. I’ve uninstalled the CAM app and MSI afterburner thinking this would help.

Why would I have to lower in-game settings when this is something that just started happening specifically in WoW only? Before I posted, this has never been an issue before. I’ve played around with the FPS cap (both foreground and background) and same issue.

Again, this only happens in WoW. I play all my games at the monitors windows size…

I may resort to this but unfortunately this is not available during these tough times…

I have the exact same issue. As soon as my active screen is wow the gpu goes to 100%. If I click on any other screen the gpu drops back down to 30%

RTX2080ti
I9 9900k
32gb ram
2k monitor 144hz

Turning off Anti-Aliasing seemed to bring my gpu down from 100% to 40% so the game is at least playable. Prior the GPU would go into heat protect mode and the fans would spin at 4000RPM - so loud
I have in the past been able to run wow with every setting on max and the gpu never went above 30% usage even while I had youtube on screen2 and fox sports on screen3.

No other games are effected.

Fortunately I know that the issue started when I updated my gfx driver due to an issue I was having with photoshop.

Driver Version 446.14 has this problem. I have no idea what driver version I had before. The version I had was from when I built the PC 8 months ago.

Good Luck!

[Edited by Blizzard] This thread has been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.