Got my hands on a 5900x

AMD is frustrating when you start tuning. At stock and out of the box settings, should not have issues. Most of the complaints comes from tuning. Those will DDR4-3800 onwards will get disappointed though. Hopefully AGESA 1.2.0.0 fixes FCLK 1900-2000 and they hit the target. I would advise going Intel if you have RAM with more than 4000mhz.

1 Like

If the 11700k has higher IPC (and 8 cores w/HT), I’d rather have it over the 10900k.

2 Likes

It’s also different than Intel by a large margin. Newest AGESA is giving people 2100+ fclk but that of course is relevant on depending on your mobo, SOC layout (they’re different even for same models), firmware etc etc.

Most people don’t have the knowledge or time to tweak AMD. For me the perf diff isn’t worth my time lost (4K and beyond mostly). For other who care, yes they’re getting massive perf uplifts.

Awhile ago you mentioned you use GPU encoding on your Nvidia card. How is any of this a benefit to you then? 11900K still has limited PCIE lanes. Unless you’re using this as a workstation PCIE 4 is not a benefit for AMD or Intel. Most of the time, more M.2 slots doesn’t mean all the slots actually work at full speed.

If you’re at 10th gen Intel or Ryzen 5K there is no reason to sidegrade.

AMD will sell non-SMT CPUs but not like Stephie’s example. AMD has always sold defective silicon with cores or SMT turned off (see Ryzen 3500x, 3300x, phenom II x2 B59, etc.,). I don’t see Intel selling anything i3 and above without HT but I think it would be inserting to see a 10 or 12 core non-HT CPU if it was discounted appropriately (not going to happen) . Personally I would take something like the i5-8600k over the i7-6700k or 9700k over the 8700k but I don’t think we will see non-HT CPU’s like that until they are pure entry level like you stated.

I have Intel rig waiting for upgrade.

1 Like

I don’t understand this? I mean if you’re doing custom OC’s and they aren’t stable then maybe that makes sense. But since 2017 I built around 200-250 Ryzen systems and less than 30 Intel Systems, zero stability issues and RMA’s have been most memory and GPU, and 3 boards total (2 Intel actually).

Overclocking frankly is not worth it. These chips are binned so tightly that even high speed ram often times yields little gain. The thing I will say about Intel is, their autotuning does suck. Cores won’t sustain boost with a single button. Where as AMD will throw as much voltage and speed as thermals allows.

1 Like

95% of the instability issues I am referring to comes into play with ram. Running ram at 3600mhz + If you think ram is finicky (to say the least) on Ryzen than you have never even turned on your DOCP profile. Also AGESA in general is basically a bottle of nitroglycerin it’s just as unstable as it is powerful.

As for ram I can literally tweak it anyway I want from speed to CL timings and it just works on Intel. Using the same ram kit which yes was on the AMD motherboards QVL list gave me issues left and right. It’s not just me having this problem the Reddit forms are literally littered with people complaining about ram issues. This is nothing new

1 Like

My personal experience has been first gen - which was rocky to say the least.

Getting any 1st gen Ryzen above 3000mhz is a hail Mary.

I’ve got mine at 3200mhz on an updated BIOS B450…it’s…mostly stable?

Really though I would say 1st gen tops out at 2933 for all intents and purposes.

1 Like

Imagine just being able to tweak your kit to any speed or CL timing you want. Provided you give the right voltage and have a decent kit. Like Magic it just works!

Thats why I am back on intel. It just works! Oh yes no more dealing with AGESA either.

I turned my new i3-10100 system on

and it just worked, XMP on to 2666mhz. on the dirt cheapest board imaginable. Runs great! lol

1 Like

Yet AMD kids wonder why people are still buying intel let alone leaving AMD for intel. Its odd the sense of relief I have being back on my i9 10900k. The 12 cores on the 5900x was nice but you just cant put a price on things just working with minimal effort.

I mean AMD deserves some props. The 5000 series is great. All of the previous Ryzen generations have also been quite good.

But to say that Ryzen hasn’t had problems is a bit disingenuous.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a really hard time believing this:

I think, if you built 200-250 systems of ANYTHING (e.g., using Intel, an ARM-based chip) you’d have at least one that had stability issues. I’m not buying this at all. I think the real question is which CPU maker, Intel or AMD, has more instability issues. Based on the collection of my experiences, it seems to be AMD. I still might get an AMD chip when my current CPU doesn’t cut it anymore, but the increased odds of issues is definitely something I’d take into consideration (which I think anyone should).

1 Like

I shifted to AMD a few months after Ryzen 1st gen. When running at supported speeds, I have had literally zero issues. Hell, I have 2 or 3 B450 boards that ran 3300x/3600’s at 3600MHz CL18 no issue. I don’t care to tweak beyond that, it’s pointless for my customers. Eventually, an OC, especially GPU OC will NOT be stable in an application and not worth the headache.

Hmm well I’m at 3 years on my 8700k at 5ghz.

If it starts degrading soon, well, that’s the excuse I need to upgrade

1 Like

You must be incredibly, incredibly lucky.

In addition to all of the anecdotes and news reports of stability issues with Ryzen (along with many BIOS updates), I’ve put together a 3600x and 3600 system. Both perform great, but the 3600 system takes forever to boot. Seems to be an issue with the built-in RAM profile because it appeared after turning on AMD’s XMP equivalent. Even with a fully updated BIOS and RAM from the QVL. I was helping the owner remotely with this, but she got tired of it and just wanted to play WoW, so she wouldn’t let me talk her through manually entering the RAM timings. That might have fixed it, but it shouldn’t have even been necessary. She doesn’t care, but I wouldn’t tolerate the boot speed. So I’d say I’m 1/2 on system stability with modern AMD

Helped my friend assemble his ASUS TUF X570 and 3800x.

It would not post with G Skill 3200mhz 2x8GB kit that he used in his old i5-7600k system at 3200mhz XMP.

It only worked at 2933. Even with increasing voltage and AGESA updates, 2933 was it.

He ended up getting a G Skill 3600mhz kit and it just worked.

Why? Because they know what they are doing and is successful at doing what they are doing? :thinking:

Because it’s inconsistent with not only the internet at large, but also most media outlets, as well as the manufacturers itself.

Ryzen isn’t “XMP on, done” that often. There’s a reason AGESA was released so often, and it wasn’t because it was just fun for AMD.

It was to improve ram compatibility because it had problems.

I never had black screen issues with my 5700xt but it would be stupid of me to deny the problem existed.

The 'AMD can do no wrong" shtick gets old, fast.

I can’t speak for that guy, but if indeed he had built 250 ryzen systems, it’s unlikely he spent a great deal of time using each system.

Instability issues can creep up later after first boot/setup. You’d be surprised how many people just tolerate unstable systems thinking that’s just how they are and don’t complain.

Ram compatibility issues on ram sticks that were cheap, people with samsung B dies had better outcome than people with cheap Hynix brand

I remember when I was on the the third bios update with my then gigabyte x370 k7, on a F4 bios I believe, I still have my g skill flare x kits, all I did was turn on xmp, and it booted at cas 14 3200, just like the ram was advertised, on a 1800x back when ram issues were back to back

Yea I remember first gen ryzen ram issues were a problem, but you literally just had to step back and troubleshoot, just like how he did with his 200+ ryzen setups

And I have a red devil rx 5700xt that is considered the most RMA card out of all the 5700xts and yet to seen the black screen problems.

That doesn’t mean Intel is your knight in shiny armor either, I have posted Intel’s issues many times back on the old forums and prior of my inactivity and it seems to be ignored still today as stated above

Because like Aribeth says, people don’t want to put the time and effort to fix a solution and rather just point fingers instead