Got my hands on a 5900x

This is my current settings for FCLK 1900 / DDR4-3800 C16.

https://i.imgur.com/du2Ykg7.jpg

Not comfortable with increasing voltage on my RAM so i went back to 3600 C16.

That Reddit thread doesn’t cover exactly what’s going on but weirdly you hit the nail on the head. The PCI-e setting was buried in the BIOS so I changed it from Auto to 3.0. Windows gave an error code and that’s what I googled but no resolution was given.

Which was what exactly

You’re pushing 3200 rated sticks to 3800 of course it’s concerning IMO

On a side note those are some good g skill ram sticks you got there :smiley:

Yup. I bought G.Skill TridentZ Neo 16GB X2 DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) at around $240 . Its a Samsung B-die.

1 Like

I’ll check another time because it reset on me again.

AMD atm just has issues on top of issues for the reasons I have listed above. Oh yes and dealing with AGESA is equivalent to having root canal work done. :rofl:

1 Like

Yet on my z490 Hero paired with a 10900k I can literally tweak my ram to whatever speeds I want and you know what? It just works! It’s also nice to be running at 4400mhz again. On the 10900k I’m getting roughly 10-20 more FPD depending on what zone I’m in and what I’m doing. I also have much better 1% lows than my 5900x did.

The 10900k may use more power which I don’t really care about because I have a really good PSU however it consistently runs much cooler than my 5900x

2 Likes

Reboots come from ram instability normally if you have xmp/Docp enabled? Try disabling it and see if the reboot stop

I disabled XMP and it kept doing it. Maybe if I keep PCI-e at 3.0 and disable it that will help. I seriously get red-faced pissed when it restarts to I tend to leave it alone.

I wish you the best of luck.

The Happy days theme song literally played in my head when I switched back to the 10900k from the 5900x. It was faster yes but stability was a joke

1 Like

10900K is easier to cool due to heat density on 14nm. 5900X packs a lot more transistors on 7nm. Not to mention, 2 more cores. Ryzen constantly wants to boost too. Intel wins hands down on idle due to better handling of idle state.

Why is my Ryzen 3000 processor getting so hot? Why are Ryzen 3000 CPUs running hotter than previous generation Ryzen CPUs with the same TDP rating? Is there anything wrong with my cooler?
https://noctua.at/en/why-is-my-ryzen-3000-processor-getting-so-hot-why-are-ryzen-3000-cpus-running-hotter-than-previous-generation-ryzen-cpus-with-the-same-tdp-rating-is-there-anything-wrong-with-my-cooler

Price of 11900K doesn’t look good. $600 on one of the retail for 8 cores is asking too much. Not to mention, Z590 boards may cost more.

1 Like

We’re not even sure if those prices are right yet. Until I see something official from Intel I won’t believe it. Even if they are right I have no plans to leave a 10 core 10900k for an 8 core 11900k.

I am staying on this processor until we either get a favorable new design from Intel or AMD. I’m hoping AMD has their stability issues fixed with their latest chip at the end of 2021. It will be a complete redesign so they have most likely learned from their mistakes. With the 5000 series there was only so much they could accomplish on the same chipset

1 Like

Did you increase DRAM voltage and SoC?

That basically was all it took for me to get my RAM to run right. Oh and about a years wort of BIOS updates.

Seems like both of the “agreed” not to undercut each other though. Its “I make better CPU, I put higher price”. I’m sure 7nm or less is not cheap to make.

AGESA 1.2.0.0 just came out with Nvidia resizeable BAR support. Beta testing again. We’ll see where it ends up.

On the side note, don’t buy AMD stuffs until at least 3 months later.

1 Like

If the 11700k is still an 8 core, and costs $400, it might be a worthy option.

Even if it’s a few % behind the 5800x, it will have price on its side.

1 Like

Nah just get the 10900k 10 cores is a great balance. Just get the 10900k and OC it. It’s the best bang for your buck until we get a complete redesign from either AMD or Intel.

Luckily for me I’m not too concerned with Intel prices however due to the fact that I get employee pricing on their products through my shop. My 10900k was under 350$. it was not much under 350$ but it was cheaper than $350 and unfortunately I can’t reveal the exact price I got it for

1 Like

As of now, I would rather wait for 11900K. Fast 8 core is plentiful for gaming. Unless you need other stuffs.

1 Like

And even if those leaked prices are right it’s still cheaper than a scalped 5900x :laughing:

The main thing you get with Intel is guaranteed stability and a lot of people are willing to spend more money to get that

1 Like

Yup. 11900K gets me

• Intel Quick Sync video (for encoder and streaming)
  • Better iGPU than previous gen
  • AV1 Decoding (maybe encoding too)
  • PCIE 4.0 (Yes, it does makes a difference with Ampere) - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-10900k-vs-amd-5900x-gaming-performance/
  • PCIE 4.0 SSD - Faster boot times and feels faster
  • DMI bandwidth doubled (Z590 only I think)
  • More M.2 slots (depends on board)

And yeah, I’m poisoning you.

2 Likes

As I’m sure you were aware that I have mentioned in previous threads my shop deals exclusively with Intel. Over the past month we have had more customers than I can count come in frustrated with AMD wanting us to do an Intel build for them instead. Just this week alone I did 10 motherboard/processor swaps. AMD to Intel

If you get that CPU I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with it in the slightest way

3 Likes