Good internet speed for WoW?

So I recently got married and moved in to a new place with my wife, and after about a month, we’re finally able to look at getting internet installed at our house (haven’t played WoW in a month, but newlywed life more than makes up for that lol). My question to you all is, what’s a good speed to have on your internet to play WoW without too many issues? What are some upload and download standards I should be looking for when looking at buying a plan?

Pretty much anything that isnt satellite

2 Likes

I played Vanilla AV (40v40) … on DIALUP.

Fast-forward all these years, and when I was changing from one pos cable company to another pos cable company, the rep was asking me what package I wanted.

“I just want the cheapest thing you have.”

“What do you do, sir? Our cheapest package is only 4 Mbps.”

“I game while my gf watches Netflix.”

“Ok, you’ll need to upgrade to at least 6 Mpbs, you’ll never be able to do both with only 4.”

Needless to say, I bought the 4-package, and I game, my gf watches Netflix, and when my niece comes over, she watches YouTubeKids on her tablet. All at the same time, ZERO problems.

If I could even get a $20, 4Mbps package anymore, that’s all I want. But every company wants $50 a month and the only way to justify that is to sell you a MINIMUM of 6Mpbs… which I don’t need.

The entire industry is a friggin scam.

2 Likes

For most things, dial up.
Wow has never really been resource intensive

Wow, I never realized that it wasn’t very resource heavy. Well, it sounds like I should be okay with getting whatever package I feel like, but I’ll definitely keep looking back here tonight as replies come in. Thanks for all the replies so far!

Dial-up or better.

I’m absolutely serious. This game tops out at about 6k per second transfer during play, but more often sits at about 4k for the majority of gameplay.

A 56k modem connection (which would usually connect at 51.2) could easily transfer 6-7k per second.

TL;DR: Any internet connection that is currently for sale in 2019 will suffice.

It doesn’t matter. This is like asking “what new car features should I be looking at so I can be sure I will be able to hit the maximum speed limit in a school zone?”

They all can :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have basic cable internet at 25 Mbps download. It’s more than sufficient for everything I do. My latency is usually in the 40’s-60’s.

When my service was out I played using my cellphone as a hotspot. It was more than adequate. You should not have a problem.

I’m on fibre which is pretty standard where I live. I went for the uncapped speed plan, but with wow while it makes a difference, it’s not as big as with other games.

Do people still use dial up? Where I am, that option no longer exists and went away a few years ago.

I have 100 mbps through Spectrum. It’s only $50/mo for the first year, then I believe $70 after that. Works great, download speeds are fast. I didn’t have issues on only 2 mbps either.

Apparently 2.1 million people were still using AOL’s dial-up service as of 2017.

One of my buddies moved a couple years ago and he’s in a fairly rural spot. Fastest internet he could get was 10 mbs but he said it’s usually more like 2-3. He’s usually okay but he does suffer latency issues some days.

Played on a 1.5mb connection for years. Always had a 30-40ms latency unless windows decided to update or something.

I’d go for 25mb or better if it is offered in your area though. It allows other folks to watch netflix and what-not while you play.

The slower connections are easy to snow out with modern multimedia.

P.S. just stay away from satellite unless you want a 600ms+ latency.

You can do fine with any basic cable internet package…

Any advertised broadband will do. What you wanna worry about is LATENCY.

Check your speed again, I had Spectrum at 100 mbps and then got a letter from them saying we’ve upgraded your internet speed by 100 mbps at no extra cost to you … wait what??? … I checked the speed and sure enough I have 200 mbps now with no extra costs

Wait what?
That’s insane

Nice. Wonder how that happened. Mine is actually around 116 mbps on average.

1 Like

The letter said it’s part of their commitment to better customer service, and so far they deliver, I was already happy with Spectrum, but this just put them on top with me! lol

1 Like

Gaming doesn’t need much in the way of internet speeds. It’s more convenience for the downloading and patching.