Gold Trading - Clear answer is needed!

its funny how half of the posts are

“ITS QUITE CLEAR ITS WRONG because XYZ”

and the other half is

“ITS QUITE CLEAR ITS OKAY because ABC”

like… sure keep arguing because we need this post bumped but no one will know for sure until blizzard says so

1 Like

This has nothing to do with the kind of trading we’re talking about in this thread. We all know there’s no way to open a trade window from Retail to Classic. Just like there’s no way to open a trade window from NA servers to EU servers. There’s a big difference between allowed and supported.

I certainly can’t find anything in the EULA that applies to this, which makes referring to the terms of service kind of pointless. Maybe I overlooked it though.

With your selective reading skills, i’m not surprised…

Personal insults aren’t helping your point. :\

Direct transfers won’t be happening. That’s all they said. Indirect transfers will be happening is a easy guess.

It’s like in vanilla when people wanted gold on their opposite faction toon. You would give someone 100g from your Alliance toon to their Alliance toon and in return they’d give 100g to your Horde toon from their Horde toon. More efficient than the neutral AH route and your toons and your trade partner’s toons could be on different realms, too.

Pretty much the same thing trading gold from retail to classic. It’s all within the WoW ecosystem. Just a matter of pricing and appropriate conversion rate. And besides, it would be a b*tch to enforce if Blizzard classic devs tried to ban it.

1 Like

The answer wasn’t vague. The answer said it was consistent with the current TOS. And no one wants to read the TOS to find out what that means. But it wasn’t vague really.

This is the big issue to be honest. If it was easy to stop they would just stop it because it affects the integrity of the game. It could end up being a case of if you are dumb enough to organize it on in game chat you get stung but if you do it externally like discussing verbally on discord then you get away scot free. That is if it is even determined to be against TOS.

We could really use a clarification Blizzard.

Actually, I just skimmed through the entire EULA (it seems the WoW ToS got baked into a generic Blizzard EULA at some point, unless someone can point me to a specific WoW ToS).

There’s this quote in section C part iii:

Prohibited Commercial Uses: (ii) gathering in-game currency, items, or resources for sale outside of the Platform or the Game(s); (iii) performing in-game services including, without limitation, account boosting or power-leveling, in exchange for payment;

The Game(s):

(Blizzard’s and the Licensors’ games are collectively referred to herein as the “Games”)

And the Platform is:

As used herein, the term “Platform” refers collectively, and at times individually, to (1) the Blizzard Battle net App software, (2) the Blizzard Battle net gaming services, (3) each of the Games, (4) authorized Mobile Apps relating to the Games and the Blizzard Battle net service, and (5) all features and components of each of them, whether installed or used on a computer or mobile device.

Since you’d be trading in game currency within the Platform, it seems to me that it should be allowed. Though I suppose that depends on how Blizzard chooses to interpret it for Classic WoW.

Link for those that want to read through it themselves.

You’re free to try out your reading skills though. Maybe I’m wrong! :smiley:

If they ban it from chat. It would at least discourage it and force it to be done outside of the game. Think of it as reporting spam/gold selling.

1 Like

This is useful info but it is still somewhat unclear and inconclusive.

When referring to “Games” it states (Blizzard’s and the Licensors’ games are collectively referred to herein as the “Games”). This doesn’t actually address instances of an individual game but it does cover things in a broad brush.

When referring the “Platform” it states that the term at times refers collectiely, and at times Individually to… each of the games.

In the Terms of Service it states

Buying or selling for “real” money or exchange, gold, weapons, armor, or any other virtual items that may be used in a Game outside the Game platform.

https://www.blizzard.com/en-gb/legal/b8a1574a-8137-44ad-acf0-11c92e90b26f/blizzard-termination-of-service-agreement

The Terms of Service mentions Game using singular language whereas the above “Games” speaks of a collective group of games being addressed collectively. It mentions “platform” in combination with “Game” and not “Games” which would seemingly indicate that that particular use of “platform” is tied to the “at times individually” interpretation of platform. This can be extrapolated to different games having different platforms and by the words of the TOS that would be a violation.

The Prohibited Commercial Uses is irrelevant as nothing regarding commercial use is being discussed as a part of the exchanges this thread. That is to do with specifically with real money transactions.

It is all very murky and semantic. Please clarify Blizzard!

1 Like

Yup, which is why I said:

The EULA and precedent (if people that claim WoW-Diablo trading happened are to be believed) definitely leaves room for it to be, and I’d say even implies that it is, allowed. Considering people could be banned for it, they definitely need to clarify.

Anyway, time for me to get off the computer. This has been a fun little thread to check between doing stuff tonight. I hope the people that this applies to get a clear answer soon! :revolving_hearts:

Yeah, see it is just one guy who is claiming that Diablo 3 and wow trading was allowed on this thread and I have heard elsewhere that this is not the case. I never played Diablo 3 but if there is that precedent then it is probably allowed and would not constitute a violation. Taking a strict view of what they have written would imply that it is a violation but the terms of service also have this little gem front and center.

Any behaviour that endangers the gaming experience of other players.

Now that can be viewed in a million different ways. Does allowing these types of exchanges endanger others gaming experiences. Looking at this thread it would seem that many think it does. It doesn’t really fly the other way around because if it is termed a violation then it is not other players endangering player experiences but Blizzard themselves which is allowed although somewhat counter intuitive. But you can’t get these things perfect. People don’t have sustained perfect experiences.

theres a massive risk of getting sacmmed by doing 2 way trades. you would prob need a middle man or somthing

Most likely the answer is the same as ‘Can I arrange to trade gold between Retail servers.’ I think the answer is Yes. Not 100% positive though.

How could it be?

Let’s say you want some gold on Classic. You offer me 5k on Retail for 50 gold on your classic server.

We meet up on our respective toons, on our respect Classic and Retail servers, and trade gold.

I gave your orc Buhb on Herod 50 gold. You gave my gnome in Retail on Area 52 5k.

Considering the toons involved are not on the same servers, what’s there to track?

The gold doesn’t cross games; it doesn’t even cross servers within the games.

1 Like

It’s not an offer I would accept from anyone but three people. Buyer beware.

Pretty much boned right there. If they see it as part of the whole platform, then you are correct. If they see it as a individual game product, you’re done for.

It’s down to a Blue to clarify ( which probably won’t happen because then they have made a concrete statement about it, which even a Blue would be cautious about ).

My bet is it will be a ban.

Good luck finding ANY player in Classic that would ever be willing to give up 1000g for a super inflated 1m gold in Retail.

Anyone who ever “claims” that it would happen is:

1. Completely delusional

2. Going through a 3rd party gold seller which can be tracked with internal tools

1 Like

This is the best advice so far.

1 Like