Gold Trading - Clear answer is needed!

After rereading it.

Its bannable. Blizzard can’t differentiate between someone buying gold from retail and a gold farmer.

1 Like

I support a blue answer to this specific question

1 Like

See, buying is the key word here. Obviously someone hitting up old SueXpress is a clear violation. But what about trusted guild members, family members, or even open trade chat advertisements.

They can flag large gold transactions, and see if a gold gift on classic has a reciprocal gold gift on retail involving the same accounts. Boom problem solved.

I just read all references to in game currency in the EULA. It expressly talks about any exchange ‘outside of the blizzard platform’.

All the wording makes it sound perfectly legal to do trades. It would be no different from some one on Hyjal talking to some one on Blackrock in retail and saying “Hey, I wanna play on Blackrock and you wanna play on Hyjal, I’ll give you all my money if you give me all your money”. You couldn’t possibly be banned for that or actioned at all.

It will be legal and if you WERE actioned, you’d have a really solid case to argue against it since, no where in the EULA does it say anything about exchanging ingame currency for ingame currency IN GAME.

Also, given the EULA covers ‘all blizzard games’ technically you could exchange virtual goods for virtual goods across games. “I’ll give you X gold in WoW for that item in Diablo 3” etc.

1 Like

What does it matter? Gold cannot be transferred between games…Couldn’t care less what some tard does with his classic gold. Not going to affect me.

1 Like

It’s right in the text on the last piece that you quoted from a blue.

Pretty simple, you are the third party, so is another player. And using only in game gold to do the purchase / exchange doesn’t cut it either, as there is no distinction between RL money and in game currency.

Just don’t do it if I were you, in Original days, gold transfers were heavily policed by Blizzard to the extent that even receiving gold from another player can incur a permanent ban. A large guild I was in lost one of it’s best DPS mages back then, due to him purchasing gold from a seller, he got perma-banned on that account for it.

1 Like

Gold exchange between players in WoW is generally one of two types.

One type is a direct trade for in-game items. There’s a very specific agreement, with verifiable in-game exchange. Blizzard supports this via the Trade window. The [Accept Trade] is meant to allow both sides the chance to fully confirm the trade is what they’re agreeing to. It can get into a grey area sometimes, notably when it takes more than a single direct exchange, or an action outside the trade window such as crafting.

The other type is an exchange for other kinds of services, such as a dungeon run or a mage portal. Because those things cannot be placed in a Trade window, nor do they produce something that can be placed in a Trade window, they are typically considered unsupported and Blizzard expects players to assess the risk of being cheated, only tending to investigate and action verified scammers.

Now, what people are suggesting with this gold trade goes a step further, and this is where it gets into problem - and potentially actionable territory. If one player puts 1000g into the Trade window, and there is no in-game (WOW Classic) item, profession action, or even character-based service being delivered in the other direction, the exchange is for something external to WOW Classic. That can step people into the quagmire of “real-money trading”.

What Blizzard “sees” in the data is one player handing a second player a large sum of gold in exchange for “nothing” within the game of WOW Classic. (And, really, gold sellers have spent years trying to pretend they’re just a best friend, relative, the same player, a random player setting up an auction, and much more - to hide their rule-breaking activity. Blizzard has a lot of things they review when deciding the gold trade was essentially buying gold from a 3rd party (not yourself or Blizzard).

1 Like

Until you want to buy something off the AH and prices are insane because players are gold trading. Ill give you an example.
[ Plans: Titanic Leggings ] - on AH for 100,000g. Sounds insane, but if a player simply trades up using the above stated methods, gaining 100,000g becomes a LOT easier. To high of numbers for you?

[ Righteous Orb ] - on AH for 1000g per, for the same reasons.

Suddenly you can’t buy mats for enchanting your gear, and now you cant get into better content.

5 Likes

I really hope the Devs have some sort of account monitoring in place to block this nonsense and or ban individuals for participating in these types of transactions. It really takes so much away from what Classic “should” be and imho no penalty would be too harsh.

2 Likes

All we see is player A in Classic gave player B in Classic some gold - what does that do to prices in Classic?

I’d say “purchase” in this scenario means “buying with real world money”.

You can trade in game gold/items/services for other in game gold/items/services across WoW all you want. At your own risk, of course. If you get scammed, it’s unlikely Blizzard will help. If you can trade it across different servers and even regions (where there’s no “legitimate” way to trade gold) then I don’t know why trading from Classic to Retail would be different.

Would be nice if a blue would just say it plainly though.

No, that’s not how third parties work. Blizzard and players are the first and second party, WoWGoldLOLChina would be a third party. Two players cannot be a third party. Purchasing also implies the use of real world currency for ingame assets which is covered by the EULA. Exchanging virtual goods for virtual goods is not against the EULA.

And before you mention WoW tokens, once you’ve purchased one and sold it on the AH via Blizzards very own, legal system, you can now exchange that currency in any way you want so long as it stays within the “platform” as defined by Blizzard which covers the entire library of Blizzard games. Period.

3 Likes

Blizzard won’t answer this. They REALLY want it to happen, just behind the scenes. They don’t want to anger customers like me or people like me who want them banned for even advertising it or doing it, but they also want to sell players WoW Tokens to make extra money. We can tell this is true by how badly they dodged the question from the Reddit AMA. The person answering isn’t a moron, they specifically chose to dodge the question while pretending not to.

This accomplishes two points for Blizzard:

1. It shows that Blizzard recognized the question exists and people who truly love WoW vanilla want people who trade gold to be banned permanently, but screw us, $20 > $15 to them.
  2. It tells people who want to buy the WoW Tokens to trade gold that Blizzard isn’t going to ban them for it.
1 Like

And? No one in their right mind is going to pay those prices. Whoever is selling that high might as well just destroy it.

Yup, I’d love to see clarification.

I welcome you to be a test subject for it, I personally wouldn’t risk it as I have seen the pain it causes when you get caught. Blizzard wouldn’t be the first company to have an ambiguous clause in a EULA.

Did you even read what I wrote? Okay so player A gives a few g once. No biggie, but player B accepts 20 such transactions. Now player B has a large stockpile of G. Players C, D, E, and F know that player B trades gold. So they list items at a much higher price. Players G, H, I and J see the higher prices and they too list items at a high price. Player K wants to buy a [Righteous Orb] but because of the high prices said orb now costs 100g.

THIS is basic economics and Supply v Demand. Holy Hell, do I literally have to spell it out for you!? Think outside the box on this kind of stuff.

4 Likes

If you trage gold between you and another person that is not linked to gold farming\selling i dont see how or why its anyone’s business friends can trade gold back and forth as much as they want ???

but if you trade to an account that is obviously just farming and sell gold… another story…

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll get banned for doing it.

But if anything goes wrong and one party doesn’t keep their end of the bargain, Blizzard won’t refund your gold.

3 Likes

You’re leaving half of the variables out here. Some one still has to farm up all that gold on Classic and we’re talking about fellow players, not gold farming bots. You’re talking about legitimate account activity. Some one on Classic having enough gold to trade for gold on Retail is going to be so few and far between it’s a non-factor unless they’re getting cheap gold from a 3rd party on Classic and can turn that into more gold on Retail than they could buy directly on retail. That’s literally the only situation where it could potentially have any real impact on the economy and THAT situation IS against the EULA and should be stopped.

Player to player between retail and classic is just not going to be a factor in the economy because of how rare the scenario will even pan out.