Gold cap in classic

What does everyone think will be the gold cap. I'm assuming it will be set to 9,999,999g 99s 99c as it will be running on the current game engine. ..or would it be set to the old vanilla gold cap which I think was somewhere around 214,000? I've heard legends of a very few players in vanilla actually reaching that gold cap but I don't know that validity of them as that number is extremely high for vanilla.

Also are there any screen shots or videos of a character in vanilla at gold cap? I'm just curious if there was any actually evidence of this happening.

Would capping it at the old number help gold sellers or would that cap be so astronomically high that it wouldn't really matter?
I assume current game engine.
I don’t think it matters. Gold will be hard to come by for the average player.
Yes people did reach the gold cap in vanilla, it was pretty rare but there were screen shots of it happening.

And ultimately it's not really because of gold sellers, it's because WoW has always not been a zero sum gold system. Over time the amount of gold simply increases at a rate far greater than the gold sinks take it out especially once you get an epic mount.
No one is going reach the gold cap in classic unless Blizzard sells the WoW token, in that case I won't play it, its ruined the retail economy.
1 Like
I almost always got my 40 mount right away. Just don't be bad with money.
Gold is a funny thing in Classic... not sure about private servers. I never knew anyone to reach a cap back then, but I’m sure someone no lifed it. I always had things to spend money on.... flasks, buff foods, bullets/arrows (if I didn’t have time to craft), etc...etc...

The most I ever had in Classic was about 5,000 gold. If you raid and don’t have a stable of crafters, gold can go pretty quick!
1 Like
10/30/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Mightylink
No one is going reach the gold cap in classic unless Blizzard sells the WoW token, in that case I won't play it, its ruined the retail economy.

It's actually the opposite the token reveals how screwed up the economy already was.

If more people are buying the token for gold then it will be valued lower and lower and lower. Imagine buying a wow token for 12 gold. Would people really buy wow tokens @ $20 for 12 gold? Imagine buying your monthly subscription for 12g.

Either way, I hope it doesn't come in.
I think the gold cap was more like 100k
I'd imagine it'll be the same as it was in vanilla. The maximum value of a 32 bit signed integer in copper.

2,147,483,647 copper

214,748 gold 36 silver 47 copper

Wouldn't be hard to change and you don't want it to be millions of gold. It would be bad long term for new players.
2 Likes
If they have the gold rewards from quests at Max level that was added sometime in vanilla, gold shouldn't be an issue
Sure , there will be some folks that will hit that 214k gold cap... but you won’t need that much for anything.

Hell, you can survive with a few thousand.
1 Like
10/30/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Doranos
I'm assuming it will be set to 9,999,999g 99s 99c
You wish that amount of gold was obtainable in Classic. Also they already told us Vanilla means Vanilla. Not Vanilla means Vanilla with sprinkles.
10/30/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Doranos
I've heard legends of a very few players in vanilla actually reaching that gold cap but I don't know that validity of them as that number is extremely high for vanilla.

im skeptical of even that, because there is a way to alter interface to make it look like you have lots of gold. /trade or buying is best way to determine wealth before achievements showed how much you got.
LOL no one will reach gold cap anyway so who cares?

Actually, while the modern economy does have problems I would say having a stabilized source to spend gold helped the economy immensely. I would say the token has done a lot more good not only for WoWs economy, but for Blizzard as well.
10/30/2018 05:45 PMPosted by Twiinkedd

People were reaching gold cap in vanilla.

And with a longer time line in classic even more people will be doing it. Not to mention that the economy is screwed anyways by the time large numbers of people are getting into the thousands and ten of thousands of spare gold. Numbers which aren't all that hard to get.

People had gold cap in classic don't kid yerself.
1 Like
10/30/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Zurnia

People had gold cap in classic don't kid yerself.

Keep up people. Gold cap was MUCH lower in classic than it is now.