God, how does anyone get anywhere with pugging

Literally every single group I join is an unmitigated disaster.

How do people find any sort of success while pugging?

4 Likes

Be selective in the people you pick for your group.

People hate raider io, but it’s popular for a reason.

Also, a characters name says a lot about the players personality

Finally, if you are worried about pushing content…the meta choice is always the best choice.

Unpleasant things to say but they are all true

10 Likes

Depends on content. Pugging anything beyond m0 or norm raid is probs not a good idea.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m only doing normals and I’ve never been able to get past Hungering

1 Like

If God answers you please let me know. I want to ask him why he allowed Mickey’s Jumbo Egg Fluff Donuts to be discontinued.

7 Likes

it tells me that the person may have a good sense of humor.

1 Like

pfft

Pugging normal is ez compared to pugging to 1400.

The number of times you have to tell people “stand in the white circle to share health” is astonishing.

4 Likes

Personally I started low and talked with people that I vibed with at the end of each run. Before I knew it I had a lot of people on bnet to run higher and higher keys with

2 Likes

Obviously there is a wide spectrum of what impression a name gives

I enjoy a good pun name as much as everyone else, but troll names are pretty easy to identify

1 Like

It is pretty surprising how many pugs still fail basic dungeon mechanics even in M+. It’s like, M+ isn’t the place to “learn” the content or mechanics… that’s what M0 and Heroics are for.

1 Like

I’ve pugged >90% of my runs.

First, you start with masochism and self-hatred.

And then you’re there, you did it.

5 Likes

Avoid players from realms with reputations for lower skill levels
Tailor a group towards a specific dungeon (i.e., “we could sure use a hunter to cleae X environmental hazard.”)
Don’t invite players with any unenchanted gear, they don’t care enough.
Add players to your friends list who you have good experiences with and run with them later.
And above all else, never even once give a chance to someone whose io score doesn’t indicate that they have experience similar to what you’re trying to run.

2 Likes

All good advice above… but along with avoiding certain names, also avoid all of the “big pumpers only” and similarly titled runs…

3 Likes

I just laugh because inevitably right below this thread will be another thread complaining about Raider IO and that all players should be “given a chance”.

Threads like this show exactly why stuff like Raider IO exists.

5 Likes

So much this. If you invite a DK with Arthas in their name you will get yelled at the first time something goes a teeny bit wrong.

3 Likes

Wait, you can be successful while pugging? Only time I’ve ever done it was WoD raids because LFR was a dumpster fire. Needed a raid weapon off the last boss, got kicked for having a heroic dungeon weapon after boss 1. Every time. Whether I survived and regardless of whether the boss went down. But always after I waited at least an hour (plenty of time to inspect my gear, duh).

Pugging sucks.

Be selective. Look for partial guild groups and groups requiring discord. Also, use raiderio to see if they have cleared some. If they are 3/10 nathria, then don’t expect a full clear. If they are setting the ilvl threshold at 175, then don’t expect a full clear.

Pugging requires you to be selective.

1 Like

find a good streamer that pugs… a good raid leader makes all the difference…

It’s hit or miss.

Early yesterday doing the weekly heroics it was almost all 200+ with record setting speed runs. But then you also get clown car runs with a lot of first timers.

We were all there once. And it was easier then because early on it’s understood it’s most peoples first few times.