Gnomeregan is a Step Back

This is a completely different tangent.

TBC had strict group requirements (must have enhancement spec shaman in a melee group or else melee are basically worthless) - there is nothing like that in SoD.

In SoD, you can drop a feral druid in the melee group for wild strikes, or you can use a resto shaman for windfury. Could even have an elemental shaman because SoD doesn’t have an essential air totem for casters. You don’t NEED an enhancement spec shaman with months worth of enhancement-only gear in your group to function.

So…you want a raid full of tank and spank fights? Just stand there and nuke the boss?

I mean.

You’re getting MC at 60. Relax.

sigh… truly has 0 idea what retail mechanics actually are. anything thats not a tank and spank i guess is retail now :man_shrugging: its funny how many retail players laugh at statements like this. u have 0 idea what ur talking about

Naxx40 has only one out of 15 bosses as a tank-and-spank fight (Patchwerk) but the mechanics are true to classic.

The mechanics of SoD Gnomeregan are not true to classic. They belong in retail.

Not hard to understand.

2 Likes

That’s retail, not classic. Not even the same genre of video game, and different dev teams. Everything about retail is the epitome of what not to do for classic, the vast majority of classic players exclusively play classic and left that sinking ship in cataclysm.

wow this just proves exactly what i just said about having 0 idea what ur talking about. the only NON tank and spank fights are, 4HM, kinda saph, and kt. yikes buddy

2 Likes

Ah, yes. Heigan and Loatheb. Pure tank and spank bosses.

Can’t believe I forgot about those!

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

retail is just a better classic with 20 years of improvements under the hood…

“The mechanics of SoD Gnomeregan are not true to classic.”

explain how and what is bad about the mechanics. what makes them closer to retail than classic?

So play it.

Read this thread.

One example I gave above: from Drakkisath in UBRS all the way to Kel’thuzad, a random threat drop on the main tank is consistent theme in all of classic raids. This mechanic is completely absent from both BFD and Gnomer (technically the 2nd boss of BFD has a threat drop, but it’s on a set timer, which means it’s trivialized with addons)

You used question marks, so I’m going to go out on a limb an assume those weren’t rhetorical questions. No, I’m not suggesting a raid full of tank and spank fights. MC also isn’t a raid full of tank and spank fights. Encounters can be fun without being static or being overly burdensome with mechanics… there is a middle ground. Several of the encounters in Gnomer are too far to the overly burdensome mechanics side of that spectrum in this guy’s opinion.

Don’t put words in my mouth.

Nothing is overly burdensome. As pointed out above, pre-nerf Magtheridon in TBC (a boss fight that I think would fit perfectly in classic) is far more punishing than anything in SoD Gnomer.

I’m saying the design of the SoD raids is not fun. Classic raids are fun because they focus on the basics.

2 Likes

I am going in with a hot take that is not hot at all

But BFD was so nice because there were trash mobs but they were actually trash mobs and the trash mobs in gnomer seem to have way more HP and clearing isn’t a challenge it’s just way more time consuming.

I really like the model of trash blasting in BFD and I think that should be a staple for raids as trash clearing is literally just time wasting

Not the right thread for this opinion.

Difficult trash is a key part of classic raids. MC, BWL, AQ40 trash is harder than many of the bosses. Even Naxx has an entire wing (spider) where the trash is harder than the bosses, but the other wings are more boss-focused.

Harder trash is the one thing Gnomer has over BFD. Everything else is worse (boss design, openness, making the raid more linear, making the raid smaller, etc)

2 Likes

if gnomer came out in vanilla like it is in SOD it would be one of the most memorable pieces of content in the entire history of the game, the boss on the platform that knocks people off would be like a core memory in the mind of most WoW players. but new=bad. bosses just being target dummies 90% of the time is something most players don’t want; & if nef/chromagus/razorgore/vael were sod raid encounters you’d probably be making the same thread about how they’re too retail-y

Nef, Chromaggus, Razorgore, and Vael were all re-designed in SoM (which I played) and I loved those changes.

You are forgetting that SoD is season 2.

Try again.

why would you be OK with chromaggus but gnomer raids are too much I don’t understand, some kind of weird bias nostalgia?

It’s called trash for a reason and we should move quickly through that garbage with out them just being damage sponges.

Trash literally is just wasting everyone’s time, I wouldn’t believe you if you tried to tell me you enjoy trash pulls

Because SoM Chromaggus kept the feel of classic and SoD raids thus far have not.

I enjoy trash very much. Cleaving trash with a two-hander and throwing engi gadgets on cooldown is more fun than most bosses.

i’m not talking about SOM chromaggus even normal BWL bosses was a lot more retail-feeling than SOD encounters, but obviously SOM chromaggus and other SOM will have mechanics stacked on the vanilla version and thus be even more retail-feeling