Giving beta only to subs makes no sens

No it says:

To fill our pool of beta and stress test participants, we’ll be choosing dedicated players who meet select criteria from both the WoW Classic beta opt-in and the standard Warcraft beta opt-in. Participants will also need to have an active subscription or active game time on their Battle.net Account.

1. We’re selecting applicants from the Warcraft and WoW classic opt in pools
  2. Participants need to have an active subscription.

Yes, a lawyer can potentially twist that six ways from Sunday, and Blizzard probably should clarify.

But it does read as “Opt in for selection” == no sub required. Beta Participation once selected == subscription required.

It is possible that that is the case. If so, I would have no problem with it.

Blizzard has not clarified despite the question being asked repeatedly, so it’s possible that I might have to apologize and withdraw my complaint, which I will do if it turns out that that’s the correct interpretation.

But so far, I have heard of zero people with an inactive sub being invited randomly. (One streamer was invited with an inactive sub, and did not need to activate his sub to play, supposedly, which suggests that the activation-requirement is part of the selection process that was bypassed for streamers.)

Even in TBC, there were beta testers claiming to be playing on expired accounts, but I also recall others complaining about needing to wait to play because their account was expired at the time of the last interval the Beta login server synched with the live one for subscription info. It seemed that once in the beta, you were golden. Don’t know how it’s going to play out this time. I had an active sub every time I participated in a beta.