Give us Templates for Random Battlegrounds

Give us Templates for Random Battlegrounds. Let us use our own haste, Crit, and mastery but make everyones other stats equal. It would make gearing more fair. Plus the people that just want to log in and play some Battlegrounds can then do that, thus being casual battlegrounds.

25 Likes

They actually did exactly this in PvP on the beta and for a “play against the devs” PTR session. It was a buff applied to your character when in PvP combat that set any gear to 213 ilvl, scaling up or down. Your kept your secondary distribution percentages and legendary effect, but everyone was the same ilvl otherwise.

It would fix gearing disparity instantly if they just flipped the switch on that buff on live. You wouldn’t even have to do torghast as a PvPer beyond like 1 run for the 190 legendary because they would just scale. It’s a really great solution and what templates from Legion should have been anyway, or at least what the evolution from them should have been if they didn’t go the other way in BFA and destroy PvP gearing.

21 Likes

Short answer, no.

Just do 1 honor set, 1 conquest set, 1 weapon upgrade like in Wrath/Cata. No need for weird formulae when you already know what worked before.

17 Likes

No, while I think the gear gap is too high I also don’t like templates.

5 Likes

buff titanforging too

Agree. Templates were the last time I had fun in BGs. Didn’t have to do any grinding once I hit max level. Could just queue up into a BG and have fun. Now I do not want to PVP at max level. Despite the lower brackets being lousy with mostly Horde twinks, it’s more enjoyable than having to grind leggos and soulbinds and pvp armor just to maintain a competitive edge.

8 Likes

Templates took away from the game for me to be honest. It was cool to jump into BGs and just play right away, sure, but it felt like I was playing a PTR template character.

I think it’s important to have character growth, because MMO for me is not about my power, it’s about my character power and items reflect that character growth.

That being said, being undergeared does suck at the entry level, but I think it’s a matter of tuning. They should make it super easy to get competent gear and start feeling like you’re getting somewhere. There is no reason to have first honor ranks so low.

I’m actually carefully optimistic with 9.1.5 changes, because conquest upgrades start at 1000cr and that’s basically guaranteed to reach, and even 1200cr rewards are just 10 item levels away from 1800 gear.

Ideally I personally think that gear progression should only be a random BG thing. So you can basically buy the best PvP gear from random BGs and then ranked just becomes purely competitive. Best of both worlds. Basically like WoD.

5 Likes

Nothing to be optimistic about here my dude. The issue is some people don’t want to do rated. Honor gear still takes a freaking Millenia to get and max rank honor gear still sucks. Leggo/conduit grinds are still dumb. Naw man the only good change they’ve made is the buff to conquest gains.

Rating locked gear still exists and all the toxic behavior that comes along with it is there. Nothing changes until rating locked gear goes Away.

12 Likes

Why not both? I see a lot of people that say they can’t stand templates, but also acknowledge that it’s very difficult for under-geared alts to compete. Why not provide templates for everyone under a certain ilvl and once they break that threshold then take them off the template. I’m willing to bet any 190 ilvl player isn’t too concerned with their specific stats. I know for my alts I would be thrilled if I were just bumped up to say a 215 ilvl template so I could actually feel useful.

Or they could just make 1 honor set
1 conquest set.
Templates would invalidate the work that many people have put in to get their gear.
Took me 1 day to get the honor gear.
And then like 2 weeks to get the renown to upgrade it.
Ridiculous.
1 honor set
1 conquest set.
And if they really wanna keep the upgrades. Then make them apply to the pve ilvl aspect of the gear.

They did templates.
It was garbage.

4 Likes

Buff rogues for one-shots too.

1 Like

A healthy automatic ilvl floor for PvP would help.

Maybe ending ilvl for previous season?

So next season, floor would be 259, this season it would be 226?

I think this would be the best way to go about things. In random BGs everyone should have their gear scaled to an ilvl. No more, no less. Don’t touch arenas or RBGs. Let randoms be a place where people can gear up alts or go to have fun without their character being optimized.

8 Likes

it would only make sense. templates outside of rated content should be happening already

1 Like

Just no. Wrath/Cata/MoP/WoD gearing and that’s it.

4 Likes

i’ve always been an advocate of templates as long as they have freedom of customization of secondary stats because legion didn’t really seem to hit those right in certain cases and extremely well in others

3 Likes

I’m inclined to agree with you. I would like for gearing to be like I always read it used to be. However, the chances of getting them to template unrated instead of changing the entire gearing spectrum is probably higher for the time being.

After reading through this thread, it sounds like people are asking for WoD style PvP and don’t realize it. WoD had the most balanced PvP solution and Blizzard broke it.

3 Likes

we’ve been asking for wod styles and they gave us the current uh
 ‘predicament’

Don’t you have a sewer you should be in ?