Give Survival A Tank Spec

Blizzard, give Survival a tank spec just like feral druids can tank or dps. Don’t act like this wouldn’t be a good idea, this would be fun and would make more people play Survival. Tanking with a pet, do it Blizz!

2 Likes

Nope.

Too much work needed on existing specs.

3 Likes

As if Survival didn’t have enough problems without adding tanking to the mix.

No ty.

2 Likes

blizz if you’re reading this a tank spec will not make me play sv

5 Likes

You say that like it’s unique.

If you’d never had touched SV regardless (let alone any spec of Hunter since Legion), that hardly seems a useful data point…

I have to agree with most here, though.

At minimum, let’s fix the SV we’ve got first, since it’s only some polish, some tuning, and perhaps a single gimmick away from pretty darn solid.

If in 10.x they decide to give anyone and everyone further tank specs, then it seems like it’d be worth parsing out some possibilities for SV (alongside, say Enhance or its tank-alternative, some new Invoker Warlock, etc.) if any only if it doesn’t come at cost to a then-already working spec. (You’d think we’d have axed what works enough by now to know not to.)

This would actually be guaranteed to be terrible (mob positioning with a pet LOL) and unpopular.

4 Likes

^ I can’t say there have been absolutely no examples across any and all MMOs of pet tanking done halfway decently, but damn are they rare.

Don’t get me wrong—it was decently fun tanking or co-tanking Cata heroics as a BM hunter, but just thinking about the frustration of there being no single-click Move-To option and there being so little and such poor microAI on the existing pets. /shudder

1 Like

Without vastly reworking how you handle pets in combat, the only way it would possibly work was if they made it so the pet itself wasn’t involved in the tanking, but rather was just there to deal som extra damage, perhaps share health pool with you through a spiritual bond CD or w/e.

And if so, that kind of defeats the whole purpose with the idea of a tank spec with a pet, doesn’t it? I mean, with the current setup, any fight which requires some proper movement/management of your pet as a tank is…tedious, or annoying, to say the least. And as so, if the tanking doesn’t involve your pet, you might as well not do a tank spec for this class, at least based on the above.

Imagine this on a high M+ or raid difficulty…

2 Likes

I’m all for it! The entertainment from these forums alone would make it a glorious experience.

They ruined survival by making it melee and this would just duplicate the failure.

No true OG hunter wants more hunter dev drawn away from ranged to melee.

3 Likes

Oh, are you a true OG hunter?

Obviously the aggro would have to be on the hunter himself with the pet in a strictly support role while tanking.

But, still, this is way, way, way down on the list of important things the development team could be doing. There are plenty of tank specs.

As someone who primarily plays tanks, I’d be so down for this. But also, I recognize that hunters still feel a bit sore that they lost a ranged spec and I’m not sure this would heal that wound.

The pet could serve a similar role as shaman’s Earth Elemental, just get all big and take aggro for a bit, or provide cc options, w/e.

Anyway, it’d be cool, and for that reason, it won’t happen.

It wouldn’t.

Then… why have a pet-class tank at all?

Heck, I already make better use of my pet than that, such as by Growling at the Tarvold add in Sanguine Depths just before its death to stack its Residue area onto already Residue-covered ground, or keeping the Mistdancers steady before Kryxis when my tank is repositioning or clearing a soon-to-be unavoidable trap.

Move To, Growl, and Play Dead can already be tremendous support tools, but if we’re drawing the line between what’s support and what’s tanking by who has the threat, that’s technically tanking.

They won’t even give us buffs, asking for another spec is ridiculous.

I assume you are talking about classic, please don’t make us be so tanky that we can tank, we will just get nerfed.

I doubt it would make more people play survival in the long run, people would play it to try it then leave it.

If anything BM would be the pet tanking spec considering they are meant to be master of beasts.

Could you imagine people trying to use the “move to” command for pets to get mobs right…

4 Likes

This might be what you are looking for.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/search?expanded=true

I’ve had to do it for soloing certain bosses in the past.

It sucks so bad lol

4 Likes

problem is, no one wants a damn melee. They need to add some ranged classes, literally 0 ranged classes added since classic, and one ranged spec was turned into melee.

However, personally i would say i would be way more interested in returning to my hunter if it could tank as survival, a mail tank with some cool pet tank utility abilities would be kinda neat.

something like this:

Pet Leap (ok i suck at ability names): You and your pet leap to each others locations, swapping places. Additionally you taunt everything around you in a wide radius, say 15 yards or something.
For short term defensive button, like shield block equivalent, could do something like a temporary soul link where you send damage to the pet.
Self/pet heal can be something like maybe a deathstrike dot to heal that causes bleeding, you and your pet rip apart the prey and feast, but heal over a few seconds instead of instantly.

Sounds way more interesting than current survival melee to me.