Give a gold incentive for reporting botters

I’m naturally a skeptic but I also call out ideas that would have bad consequences that are far worse than what they aim to solve. In the case of your idea, people would be reporting left and right just to take advantage of that system and exploit it for profits. Nobody would be safe. All someone would have to do is create a bunch of accounts and go around reporting players. With enough votes, accounts would get automatically actioned. With the extremely low participation of current GMs this would turn into a problem very quickly.

I am dismissing the idea of yours simply due to knowing how it would play out.

See Neko? I’m not the only one that easily sees the flaw in your strategy. People would spam report others in the hopes something would stick and they get paid.

1 Like

ALWAYS assume the worse
specially on the internet
otherwise you are just being naive

So all I need to do is mass report BRD rogues and I get up to 1,000 gold? I like it!

I think people already have all the motivation they need to report bots when they see them. What this would likely lead to, would be more false reports–“That person’s been killing Deadwood furbolgs for an hour, clearly a bot!” “I don’t know what that name means, it must be a random string of letters!”–because suddenly the motivation to report is not “I want fewer bots” but “I want more bans.”

False reports do not lead to automatic suspension - that’s not how the system works. GMs investigate accounts based on reports then take action. Don’t take my word for it though, check out this thread (blue posts included!):

do you honestly believe we still have those?

Yes, we do have GMs as part of support staff, contrary to popular forum belief, but AFAIK they don’t take an active part in the game world, like they used to (And they SHOULD) and instead responding to reports, appeals, etc.

How does that even work in your head? If you have the bots yourself, what idiot would report them for a part of the gold instead of just keeping the bots gold directly. Your example makes no sense.

10-30g is CENTS in real world cash, It wouldn’t even cover a DENT in the cheap south american subs botters get access to(3-8 dollars)

venezuela current monthly wage is at $1 USD so yeah
chill on your xenophobia mate

My server has a sea of Venezuelens and I have heard of their hardships. These people aren’t botters they legitimately play the game. They just play it as a job because its convenient way for them to put food on the table. Sad world but it is the truth and I cant fault them to want to feed their families. Brutal stuff.

1 Like

there is no need for a gold incentive to report botters they just need to hire staff

Bots compromised. You got all the value out of it and need to move to the next one.

Depending on how much you get for a correct report it could be worth it. 100g as a kind of severance pay isn’t so bad after 30 or so levels of farming.

Or if you have competitors you can profit from them.

Yeah. A few dollars for around 30 or so levels of a bot grinding and an ending bounty, not terrible. A bit mess but still exploitable and good for some quick cash.

And 10-30g is still a decent amount when spammed to help cull the old bots.

And if you say only the first reporter gets the gold then your idea still perpetuates the big problem of people not reporting because they think someone else probably already reported them. Or they won’t benefit so they don’t care.

You still haven’t addressed how this will not absolutely turn into a witch hunt and encourage toxic behaviour/false reports.

You address yourself that we need more GMs to actually be involved in the world. Having to go through hundreds of false reports isn’t going to help them be more involved.

Hmmm I sees. On the other hand, I have also seen and have been victim to false reporting. I’ve been forced name changes to names that did not violate the ToS nor would they be conceived as rude, vulgar or anything else. Someone probably wanted my name and got people together to flag my name.
Btw the name was Electrictape on a shaman. I had to rename it to elecktrictape because of the forced name change.
So yea…false reporting does happen and it is automatic.

1 Like

In the thread, yes, name change report and verbal abuse (for a silence) is automated. You should actually read the thread because everything you just said is already in there.

Reporting for the cheating/botting is not automatic whatsoever for obvious reasons (actions usually lead to a ban) again listed in the thread.

Lol doesn’t count after the fact. So no you didn’t say it in the original OP, which I replied to initially. Now you are adding it after the fact and using that to back pedal.

Having the gold be rewarded purely for reports that get an account actioned might do some good. People will still try to mass report though. Hopefully it would never become automated and remain a manual investigation.

That’s nice. It doesn’t change anything I said, though.

The incentive to report botters is your consumables cost more…wait…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.