Getting this lua error when I right click someone's name in guild chat

I tried disabling addons and scanned the game, restarted my computer, etc but still getting it.

Message: Interface\SharedXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:1345: attempt to index field ‘?’ (a nil value)
Time: Tue Jun 7 18:41:05 2022
Count: 724
Stack: Interface\SharedXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:1345: attempt to index field ‘?’ (a nil value)
[string “@Interface\SharedXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua”]:1345: in function UIDropDownMenu_EnableButton' [string "@Interface\FrameXML\UnitPopupShared.lua"]:248: in function OnUpdate’
[string “@Interface\FrameXML\UnitPopupShared.lua”]:273: in function `UnitPopup_OnUpdate’
[string “:OnUpdate"]:3: in function <[string ":OnUpdate”]:1>

Locals: level = 1
id = 14
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = “1”
(*temporary) = “Button”
(*temporary) = “14”
(*temporary) = “attempt to index field ‘?’ (a nil value)”

Disabling addons does not prevent their settings from loading. The only way to test would be to do a full UI reset and then re-add your addons one at a time until you figure out which one/s are causing the issue.

1 Like

If an addon is disabled, it does not run any code and doesn’t do anything. You’re confusing saved CVAR settings with addon settings being loaded. Those CVARs stay set even if you fully delete the addon folder.

Sounds like a broken CVAR issue, run the command /console cvar_default and don’t worry about the error it gives, it will still work. Be advised that it will reset pretty much everything in your client, graphics settings and I think keybinds as well. Run a /reload right after you do it to make sure the new settings get pushed to the server to be saved (a lot of variables are saved on the server end).

2 Likes

Elocin has said repeatedly that the code is still loaded and can impact things.

I just started getting the same exact LUA error, also when I right click on someone in my guild tab.

I cleared my WTF, Cache, and removed all addons but to no effect.

I’m glad it’s not just me, maybe it’s something that will get sorted during maintenance tomorrow.

Well they are wrong and always spit this nonsense on here. The client might take a look at the code, but it doesn’t execute it. The only thing that gets loaded are CVARs that might have been affected by the addon. I’ve debunked this in the past before with a simple test addon that just does a bunch of heavy math in a loop, that when it runs, it will tank your fps on any rig to like 10fps, and when it doesn’t run, it has zero effect on the game. If the game were still loading disabled addons, it would have instantly done what the test was designed to test for, when the code was executed.

Do that again and run the command /console cvar_default then followed by /reload

EDIT: Here’s proof of what I’m talking about and why Elocin is wrong: https://imgur.com/a/4oaBi2R
The addon code is super simple:

fillervar = 0.0
for i = 1, 5000, 1 do
for i = 1, 100000, 1 do
fillervar = fillervar
end
end

When the addon is enabled, it will place a massive load on the CPU on the loading screen. As you can see in the video recording, my load screen was normally like one second, but when the addon is enabled, it becomes like 20 seconds and then as soon as the addon is disabled, it goes back to being a second long. So there’s the proof that addons do NOT run their code while disabled and that Elocin needs to stop saying they do.

That information came from tech support staff, not my own imagination.

5 Likes

I’m going with the MVP versus the rando.

As many times as it’s been said, if it was wrong, a blue world have corrected it.

Edited to fix a typo.

6 Likes

I am getting this same error all of the sudden. I open up the guild tab and right click someone’s name to invite to group and it’s thousands of errors. I tried to reset UI (delete WTF/Interface/Cache) , /console cvar_default and all of the typical steps. Reinstalling wow right now.

EDIT -
Reinstalling worked until I set scriptErrors to 1 instead of the reset value of 0. Then they started coming back. Set to default again with no luck.

Are not usually developers and sometimes just repeat things they’ve heard players say on the forums, if they seem credible enough. Simply put, addons do not run any code if they are disabled. Even if you have an addon that has a dependency on another addon, the other one has to be enabled for it to work. End of story. You can test this out with the code above, just throw it into a .lua file and make a quick .toc to go along with it.

Make sure you aren’t running any type of addon updating softwares like overwolf or curse or whatever they are called these days. It’s possible that they are getting readded back to the folder automatically. Maybe even look into Windows backup softwares like onedrive and such. It is also entirely possible that there’s a bug in the actual code of the game, it does happen from time to time.

Not to mention that SEVERAL blue posters have said the exact same thing. Here, and in the Customer Support Forum.

3 Likes

It’s just so strange that it is not anywhere else in the game. I can right click on names in my friends list or in chat and everything works, except guild tab. It’s the only menu I have come across that will give me this error. I can also right click in the chat portion of the guild tab just not the member list to the right.

Blue != Developer. Again, here’s the proof showing that disabled addons do not get executed: https://imgur.com/a/4oaBi2R

If I recall, a while back, they had some kind of interface LUA bug error issue with communities as well, even on a completely fresh client. But I could be wrong, it has been a while. A nil error just means that the value isn’t defined at all, as in it doesn’t have any information attached, so it’s possible that the client or server failed to populate the information correctly.

Try deleting your cache folder within the WoW folder. Not 100% sure what’s stored in the cache files, but it could be related and they are safe to delete. I think there have been other problems that were solved by deleting it, so it’s worth a try.

Update: I tried clearing my WTF, Cache, and removed all addons but to no effect. And I did not have permission to run the suggested script /console cvar_default.

However, after maintenance this morning, the problem just went away.

That script will always give that error, but it resets the CVARs that it can though.

Glad to hear it went away. Might have come from closing the client down and reopening it after doing all that.

1 Like

the command worked for me. Thanks.

What i did:
Removed WTF, cache, interface, etc. folders.
Ran the game and set every configuration (even system) to recomended, default, etc.
Ran the “/console cvar_default” command.

and it´s ok now.

3 Likes

i was getting this error but after today’s maintenance it seems to have stopped

Happy to know i’m not the only one

I tried deleting cache, wtf and interface folders to do a complete reset but this error still pops up when right clicking people in my guild. Somehow the friend list and the community members are unaffected…

Hoping Blizzard fixes it soon

I am still having this issue. I’ve deleted cache. reset. disabled addons. Nothing is working.

Same issue, formatted my computer to make sure 100% wiped, installed Nvidia drivers and Windows 11 updates then WoW. Still the same issue. Can’t do more of a reset than that!