Getting this lua error when I right click someone's name in guild chat

Did you guys run the command /console cvar_default after doing your resets? If not, even a new Windows install won’t mean anything because some cvars are stored on the Blizzard servers and will just automatically reapply again.

Yes, doesn’t work

After reinstalling WoW, you tried right-clicking a name without importing your addons/UI back into the directory?

Yes, it was 100% clean install. Even got the intro movie, nothing was imported except what Blizzard puts back on your system.

Interesting update, found I only have the issue on my horde toon, the Alliance characters don’t have the error.

I am getting the error again and it is showing up on both ally and horde.

After you ran it, did you make sure to log out and exit the game correctly vs doing something like alt+f4ing out(which won’t save local settings)? You also might have to run the command on different characters, not sure if they tie cvars to the whole account or if they are tied to faction or server.

Also, do you have your WoW folder flagged as read-only and are you using any addon managers OR onedrive? It could be that the folder contents are getting automatically restored by a cloud backup.

Had no copy of my old wow folders on the computer, don’t use cloud back up and does the same thing on each of my horde characters and on different realms.

Still leaning toward it being a server-side CVAR that’s bad. If this were a widespread issue, there’d be hundreds to thousands of posts about it (there’s been other times there was an actual Blizzard-side issue and this was the case).

Try this:
/console cvar_default (it will give an error, but it still works)
followed by
/reload
to force the cvars to save and then exit the client and try again.

It’s possible that Blizzard needs to reset cvars on their end because maybe they changed something about the API, but now the client can’t change some locked variable, so it’s stuck in a broken state.

1 Like

Done that multiple times already

Solved, see below.

Update: I think I got the issue fixed. The link to resetting interface above and the cvar command mentioned worked. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help. Make sure you go to each step of the instructions and do the advanced trouble shooting. I did uninstall my addon manager so that nothing would be reload when I used the command just in case it was related to one of my addons. It did remove all my macros and previous UI settings. I guess a good time for a UI overhaul :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am also having the issue. I have tried everything and still get the error.

This is not a so called bad cvar or an issue with an addon. This is an issue on blizzard side. Quit telling people they have “bad cvars” when you have no idea what you are speaking on. Addons disabled do not effect or load or have any access to the game when disabled. This is nothing more than a lua error calling a nil value in the blizzard code currently. Having people reset their cvars is just down right pointless as all you are doing is resetting script errors to ‘0’ which hides this error. It does not fix it or anything.

If you do NOT wanna see the error type

/console scriptErrors 0

If you are using a bug catcher like bugsack and !buggrabber then just disable the addon or turn off the sound for it. Same with bauderrorframe.

1 Like

After much research and several guildies experiencing this, we learned it is a remnant of an addon that shared a background pattern and/or media with other addons. Basically, going scorched earth and not restoring your addon folder, along with the cvar reset, should resolve it.

1 Like

False false false false. What research? Read my above post. This does not resolve it. All you are doing is hiding the error when you cvar reset! Why do you keep telling people to cvar reset it just hides the error because a cvar reset sets scriptErrors 0 but if you turn scriptErrors 1 you will see it again.

1 Like

Trial and error with guildies, like I explained above. That’s the research.

I actually haven’t been telling people to do this, you’re confusing me with someone else in the thread. I mentioned about addons.

Scorched earth means removing the entire directory and reinstalling. This has fixed the problem for the 4 people who came to me for help from guild and other social wow communities. All of them were previous ElvUI users who are rebuilding their UI with other addons (because ElvUI performance isn’t good).

1 Like

This is a blizzard error. Not cause by an addon. All you are doing with resetting your stuff is resetting the cvar I have mentioned now. As an addon dev I know what I am speaking on here. I have tested myself with completely resetting your addons folder, WTF. It does not fix it. Its not related to ElvUI, Its not related to KkthnxUI or TukUI or any UI for that matter. Its related to blizzard plain and simple. Are you saying reinstalling your entire game just to fix this? Because that is nuts. That won’t fix it either.

1 Like

Then you’d know that some addons can permanently change CVARs that are stored on the Blizzard servers, until you send the command to reset them, which is /console cvar_default

Like for instance, the first time you run ElvUI, it runs you through a setup mode where it changes some CVARs. You could then wipe your entire WoW folder clean, but as soon as you log back in, there will still be some non-default settings saved and the only way to set them back to the Blizzard defaults is to run that command. There’s a reason it’s on the WoW UI reset help page, because it’s a common problem.

As Elocin brought up, sometimes it’s a dependency shared between addons, but that still is on your end of things and means you aren’t doing a UI reset correctly; in the case of sharing something like a font or castbar texture or something along those lines.

If you’re unwilling to try to follow the proper troubleshooting guidelines, then there isn’t any further help we can give you here. The point is, on a fully reset and cvar reset UI, there aren’t any errors(and yes, that means with scriptErrors turned on). I just tested it out and have zero errors.

2 Likes

Take as you will but the issue is on blizzards end. I tested myself. CVar reset, WTF reset and addons folder reset (which the addons folder reset is completely pointless as addon have no access to the game when disabled) the issue is still there.