Getting into rated battlegrounds as a new player is dreadful

Nah.
/10chars

1 Like

I’m honestly at a point where I hope Blizzard templates gear in rated just to see what people will blame not hitting 1600 on at that point. This forum has next to zero interesting or knowledge-garnering posts because of this non-stop whining over gear, when in reality, there isn’t a single person who started the expansion max geared at 0 cr.

The only case of a sensible argument I see people making are people who play nothing but unrated content who are getting skull smashed by geared premades, when they’re just trying to have some chill games for fun. They max out at 200 and aren’t trying to play sweaty games, so I totally get that. At the point you’re actively pushing ranked content, I can assure you with the most honesty I can muster into a statement, that your personal gear isn’t the reason you aren’t winning games.

Edit:

Here’s how I ranked up this season as a first time PVP player.

-Played yolos till like 14-1500.

-Realized I was bad, so I started going to Reddit wowpvp and started wearing people out making posts daily asking questions and reading archived posts.

-Looked up guides, both text and video.

-Watched dozens of hours of high rated players who played my class, and sat in their chats until I got some questions answered, took screen shots of their layouts, and wrote down what addons they were using, etc.

-I absolutely refuse to run a BG without comms. Idc if it’s all r1/hero alts, I’m not running in that group (unless it’s low cr alt matches, but even then I won’t most of the time). Because not being able to bothered with the miniscule task of hopping in Discord tells me they don’t care if they win or lose.

-I btagged literally every RL/TC who was good and made sure I was only joining groups they were in, or I would try to get them in groups I was joining. Or even whisper them if they were online about getting one started.

-I started vetting groups I was joining to make sure people were around my CR, and would ask once we were in Discord who was doing RL, TC, etc. if no one answered or seemed unsure of themselves I bounced.

-I was adjusting my sleep to be online when most of the people on my friends list seemed to play (I work nights, it sucked).

Now I’m at a point where I know a lot of what I need to improve on to go from being an alright player to a good player, and it took hundreds of games, 4 toons, and several months, and everything listed above to get to just being an ‘alright player.’ I suspect getting to where I want to be will require an equal amount of effort, but that’s the fun of the game, seeing yourself improve and seeing better and better players willingly accept you into runs. It feels absolutely dope to be in a Discord full of good players who hit you up to play and you go for it because you know it’s going to be a solid team and win or lose you’ll have fun because the energy is going to be high and it will be a good game. It’s not about some arbitrary numeric value, it’s about finding situations where you and 9 other people are giving the absolute best of yourselves to compete against 10 other people doing the same.

If you just want to ez clap something for some purples go run some H raids or +8’s, it’s easier.

2 Likes

Honestly, if the game requires that much sweat, then it’s not worth it.

4 Likes

It was a one time deal. I have an achievement to link that gets me into 90% of the groups I app to now, I don’t have to worry about doing most of that stuff anymore.

But anyway, if you’re stuck at 1400 or wherever, do all that and you likely won’t be anymore.

1 Like

Is it like “McDonalds hiring. Min Req: PhD in CS, Physics, Math with 4 years exp. We will pay you whooping 30k$ a year”

1 Like

Yea getting into RBG’s is so difficult. I am a 221 1800 Ret in 3’s/2’s and I straight up can’t get into RBG’s either. Takes about an hour to get into an RBG and then when you get in everyone behaves like an idiot, we lose and they all leave and you’re back to square one. I know I’m meant to lead if I want to get into them faster but some people (like myself) just simply are not leaders or can’t lead for various reasons. It’s big sadge

1 Like

Mention your arena xp, and learn to TC. It will increase your invites.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s time to move out of your parent’s basement?

1 Like

Actually, I stopped renting and bought a fairly nice townhouse in the city last Fall when interest rates were at record lows.

Imagine thinking people are poor and unsuccessful just because they’re better than you at video games. Lol

1 Like

You’re close but you forgot YOLO… So it’s more like:

YOLO RBGs for quest and honor only no voice
And than the description is where you hit them with the lawyer talk.
Description
“only taking 3k xp players on alts, min ilvl of 226, pushing to 0 CR to 2800 today, Meta classes apply only, will be using disc and mic is required.”

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s always the “lawyer speak” that cracks me up when I read those descriptions.

Like, we’re playing at 0-1400cr man, just make sure that have a decent amount of gear and like 1750 achievement and invite…It’s not rocket science.

You know how I know these groups are all full of crap? I have a screen shot of a yolo team I was on that won like 8 games in a row. The pic shows us beating a 2.1cr team by 5 capping them in deep wind gorge. :joy: it’s a joke man. By the way, the team I was on was like 1700 at the time.

We didn’t even know each other and we weren’t using voice. I bet they disbanded ASAP.

2 Likes

This is why I share real life details when people try to get personal. Apparently I can’t work a lot, spend any time in the gym, nor have a social life because I’m good at a video game. That’s the typical mentality. Heaven forbid someone be doing well in life and be better than someone else at a video game. They need an excuse for being worse at the game, so they default to you somehow having more free time or nothing going for you IRL.

2 Likes

Are you paying an actor for your cam. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like when people make assumptions or personal attacks. My brother is a glad with two jobs, he is just better at the game than me, plain and simple.

2 Likes

Yeah, it always cracks me up when people try to stereotype people for playing WoW, as they play WoW themselves. ‘Everyone who plays this game is a nerd, except for me!’ Lol

Whatever makes him feel better, I guess.

1 Like

When a girl asks me what I’m doing and I say “Playing WoW” they go “oh?” I don’t look like the stereotypical WoW player.

1 Like

lmao, just sadly so true

1 Like

Being a WoW player is a running joke between my girl and I. She’ll call me a nerd, I’ll tell her what a lucky girl she is, she’ll roll her eyes. Good times. Lol

1 Like

Massive offtopic but it’s actually true. In my experience people who are relatively successful IRL usually don’t do too bad in WoW either. Because usually such people have good determination and communication skills and that works well in competitive WoW.

I know a couple of smart people at work who play at a relatively high level, and they fast tracked through their careers pretty smoothly as well. They just don’t have fears and anxieties that hold them back and they don’t hide in no voice groups etc, they just Jump on discord and talk.

2 Likes

you do tho, overcompensating with a gym bro affect is like super stereotypical of certain demographics of this game

:woozy_face::ok_hand::smoking: