Get an Eye on an Even Dozen New Hero Talent Trees

Feedback for Hellcaller as a warlock main since TBC and player since Vanilla. (Also general feedback for design going into TWW)

I didn’t bother leaving feedback for Diabolist because other than being a huge flavor win the tree was very boring and tedious mechanically. It coasted 100% on flavor.

For Hellcaller, I like the idea overall, and giving destro a bit more movement is great, especially since we are clearly never getting a dedicated class dev again so something like killjaeden’s cunning is permanently off the table.

The Xalan and Peroth’arn nodes are boring damage boosts, but having knobs to turn for tuning that don’t affect the more active skills is great and every tree should have a few.

Blackened soul, along with most of the tree, doesn’t mix up gameplay much but as long as wither hits hard it can at least succeed at making your dots feel a bit beefier. The execute clause is interesting but seems to overlap a bit with Malevolence, since your withers are already acute during that time. I think it’s probably for the best to take some of the heavy lifting off the cd though.

I’m already of the opinion that modern wow is way too cooldown heavy. I think most players would prefer to feel strong consistently, not hit really hard for 20 seconds then wack mobs with a nerf bat for the other 100-160.

The curse choice node feels odd. There aren’t a lot of enemies that you will get much value for casting both weakness and tongues on, certainly not enough to make it worth taking over the aura.

I don’t like the idea of being forced to play in melee as a caster, especially on destro which is already one of the least mobile specs in the game. I think most players are going to resent being expected to pick aura of enfeeblement. If you really want to give players a way to cast curses in an aoe, either give us an ability like the venthyr spell from shadowlands, or make the node give us aoe curses at an even more reduced effectiveness. All you are doing by pressuring casters into melee (and annoying the actual melee in the process) is reminding us how you took away meta tanking.

The idea between Zevrim’s and Ilhoof’s seems to be consistent damage vs burst damage mitigation, which is tedious in both concept and execution. There is very little content nowadays that isn’t pulsing constant aoe damage of some kind. Sacrificing 10% max health on an absorb shield that will never be able to build back up after being knocked down the first time doesn’t sound fun.

Ilhoof’s also has anti-synergy with Dark Pact and it’s not clear if Ilhoof’s 15% soul leech is calculated before or after losing 10% health. Based on the wording I assume it’s after which makes it even more “feel bad” to take.

There are definitely some fights were you can take advantage of this but swapping between the two every fight seems tedious. On fights with constant outgoing damage where you can never use the extra 15% soul leech, Zevrim’s won’t even feel good because you can only use a healthstone once per fight. It’s interesting that both nodes feel a bit like noob traps in different ways. Neither are exactly bad, but they won’t feel good either.

Mark of Xavius is my least favorite node in the tree because it lies to players about being quality of life when it’s actually a promise to abandon quality of life. Mark looks like a node to make multidotting less tedious, but what it actually means is that vile taint will never be a proper aoe dot refresh like shadow crash. Cataclysm isn’t exactly the same but it still makes it feel like you’re getting less bang for your buck. Is letting vile taint refresh agony ever time, like shadow crash can with priest, really too much to ask.

I understand that Priest has an actual class dev and warlock doesn’t, but it’s still frustrating to see every other class constantly get better versions of what warlock has. Watching my favorite class go downhill in class design since WoD is demoralizing, even if I love plenty of other classes and sometimes play them more than warlock.

Warlock class design was the worst it has ever been at the start of DF. I’m happy to say it’s gotten better with every patch and I’m optimistic that it will keep trending upward, but when I watch mage’s dev take spells like blizzard or flamestrike out of the tree and give it to them default, it makes me feel like warlocks are living in a world of outdated class design.

We are heading towards the Worldsoul Saga. Why has class design gone backwards? Why are new players not getting their iconic skills until 11 when getting them at 10 when you select your specialization has worked and felt good since Cata?

Why do we have to dedicate talent points to being either basically competent in aoe or single target when classes have been allowed to do both for years to great effect? I don’t mind taking talents to excel in one or the other, but having to dedicate 3-4 points to do more than tickle a pack of enemies doesn’t feel good.

Why is every class required to juggle a million annoying maintenance buffs and effects instead of just being fun to play? Why does it feel like almost every dps spec needs to have a weakaura set up to track all their procs and buffs and debuffs?

Removing blizzard and flamestrike from the mage trees was a great idea. Do that for everyone. In fact, stop making us dedicate 10 points into passives and abilities that used to be baked into the leveling process. Please just design talent trees that feel good to invest in, that shouldn’t be a big ask for what is still the most successful mmo out there.

Removing the godawful dread touch stacking was a great idea. Please do that for every spec’s terrible tedious upkeep abilities.

Removing rune of power was a great idea, please do that for every ability that inexplicably makes specs less fun to play.

Class design has been getting better across the board since the start of DF, please keep it up. Please don’t stop now that you have momentum built up. I’m cautiously optimistic for the direction the game is taking in TWW, as are many players that don’t spend their time wishing the devs harm on reddit.

Delves could accomplish what was fumbled with thorghast and so much more. The new faster patch cycle could mean pulling of a Suramar style story with the nerubians without the kneecapping of painfully long timegates and rep grinds. Warbands could be the precursor to an instancing system in Midnight that people don’t start finding tedious a week into the expansion like with WoD. Even I can’t figure out how you can salvage the ruination of professions that happened in DF but I’m holding out hope.

PS: For the love of god take shadowdance out of the rogue class tree. You might as well put mutilate or blade flurry in there if iconic subclass abilities are just being stuffed into class trees to limit certain specs’ options

1 Like

Was wondering the same thing

Agreed, very uncreative and unimpressive.

Agreed, the Warrior themes aside from Thane are really unimpressive. Colossus - Kills things but bigger and burstier! Slayer- Kills things but faster and more pressure!

they were told since day one these themes seemed un-thoughtout, uncreative and placeholder esque. Still not too late to change them but I doubt they will.

1 Like

That’d be rad.

I expect you guys are really going to have your hands full trying to balance these in PvP, unless you’re not planning to. This link is from the Community Council

Please, please consider fixing some of the issues we’re experiencing currently in PvP before TWW launches since I fear the odds of you addressing the issues linked here are slim to none, once the chaos of all these Hero Talents begins.

That said I’m looking forward to how much these Hero Talents will shake things up in all areas of play.

3 Likes

I love the theme that “Slayer” is trying to bring, but looking through the Hero Talents it seems to lack anything that would aesthetically stand out. It’s all passives that will go largely unnoticed. I guess you’ll be able to see a random bonus bladestorm occasionally? Kind of lacking, imo.

It seems currently the way you’ll tell if that Warrior is a Slayer, will be noticing that it’s not 5% larger, or it’s not slamming thunderbolts everywhere. That’s disappointing.

I think it would be cool if when the passives for Slayer proc, it’s signified by causing enemies affected to gush blood, similar to how there’s a glyph which causes warriors to be on fire when enraged. Maybe that’s not “T” rated, though?

So maybe a particularly bloody swing that’s very easily determined to be an attack only a Slayer could perform? Or maybe when consuming a stack of “Marked for Execution”, there’s an explosion of blood from the target.

Looking at some of the other classes it’s awesome that there’s a lot of cool visual representations that allow the Hero specs to stand out. Slayer seems to be lacking. Hopefully you guys have something prepared to make Slayer stand out.

Couldn’t agree more, a few of these like San’Layne, Rider of the Apocalypse and Frostfire and to some degree Mountain Thane are adding some flare to the actually fantasy, but essentially every single other Hero Talent Tree is just more talents with a lore name or even irrelevant name slapped on. This system could have been so much more. Big let down on the Shadow Pan theme, and the other two Warrior options “Colossus - Basically just kill things but bigger, and burstier! Slayer - Kills things but faster and more pressure!” So uncreative. Don’t get me wrong they sound fun but who thought these themes were good?

1 Like

Ive never been more convinced that blizzard doesnt care about shamans at all anymore. Thinking its time to move on to another game, this same old same old for my favorite class is getting tiresome

1 Like

You’re not totally wrong, I was going down the train of thought of utilizing Impending Catastrophe, which had an anima power that summoned your demon on cast, which I could see as a keystone for it absolutely. I made another post further down discussing other ideas along those lines, but my main problem overall is just the focus on Immolate of all things, not even a reference to Rain of Fire either, the ability that literally rains hell on people, or Channel Demonfire, or any of those abilities.

All warlocks are known to summon demons, however, so its not out of place for non-Demo related hero specs to involve them to a degree, if anything it makes more sense in that we don’t have to delve into Wild Imps, or Dreadstalkers, just the big demon that isn’t even on the same level of damage CD as Tyrant is.

1 Like

Probably not the first to ask this. Is it possible to be able to use our other undead mounts as well? Like Valiance for example, would be awesome to use Midnight as well for some quick examples that will get a lot out of that choice.

1 Like

Don’t want to derail this thread but yes, out of the 39 specs, 20 of them feature an Orc, Human or Elf. And lot of the talent background art seems like placeholder art that were never replaced with the actual “intended” art.

Since we are talking about Paladins, let’s use them as an example. The people in the background art are not only just elves and humans, but they are also in the wrong spec!

The old man in the Holy tree is Tirion Fordring, the quintessential Ret paladin and the guy who wielded the Ashbringer before the players got it.
The Elf in the prot tree is Naedia. A Holy Paladin.
And the one in the Ret tree is just the Hearthstone card art for Hammer of Wrath.

2 Likes

So, did no one at Blizzard stop to think how Shado-Pan would work lore wise? Yeah, there are monks in Pandaria that are willing to teach outsiders, hell we did several quests with them even as non-monks, but they were not Shado-Pan. We’ve worked for and with the Shado-Pan but there’s not one time where they accept outsiders into their ranks.

Actually when’s the last time they were even in the story? It wasn’t in Legion for the monk class hall, that was on the Wandering Isle.

2 Likes

So, let me tell you one time in wow.I think legion or bfa? They did this. They summoned hordes of pets on enemies. PVE and PVP. The results? They got nerfed to the ground because other players in PVP had issues getting to them due to an army on them as well as targeting or really doing anything to fight back. So they got reduced heavily from this idea to a handful of pets(base+temp summons).

Source: I played in those times. I hated hunters and so did everyone. It was a nightmare to face hunters in pvp back then. They easily smoked you and killed you.

If your going to speak for everyone at least do it right. Most people who really enjoy Havoc and only play havoc don’t think we need a 3rd spec. There are others who play lots of alts and different specs and really wish they had more options on their main.

Packleader seems to be as exciting as the powers we got in Torghast - passive, secondary and no visual flair. I’m guessing the same person worked on both of them.

I have 10 level 70s and main DH. Most I’ve talked to feel like we out badass other classes, and do it minus 1 spec. Open to a third spec but extremely doubtful it would match the DH aesthetic and feel forced upon. How does one make something more perfect, ya know?

Results may vary, but that’s my truth lol

I hope all of these abilities are visually interesting. I know numbers are important and that but honestly I like a good lightsplosion

I don’t think we need a third spec, but I think that being the only class with just 2 should make us stand out. DHs being top right now in certain aspects whether its PVP or tanking – these things should be standard for us since we miss out on all the benefits other classes get with 3 specs.

So make our hero talents really shine – current AR does not.

I’m sorry miss Demon Hunter but you are mistaken.

I main a balance druid.
It’s only logical that if a class is to be made OP on purpose it would be balance druid.

It’s really the only logical choice…(these statements have been verified thru “Trust me bro” fact checking services LLC)