Genuine question. Why aren't Red Draenei an allied race?

the “Man’ari Eredar” were changed physically, mentally into demons. Man’ari look similar to Eredar, though the demon magic has changed their bodies. Their tails are longer and more muscular, and Man’ari lack cranial hair. Man’ari are also much larger than other races, even more than normal Eredar. Most Man’ari have shown physical changes in their skin, in the form of grey, dark-blue, or red skin. Horns may also grow from the head of a Man’ari Eredar.

you know when these races got the “allied race” treatment?

blood and void elves.

Orcs and Magher Orcs.

Gnomes and Mecha Gnomes.

Tauren and Highmoutain

all of thse races were split in one way or another, adapted to their envirement in someway and left changed. making then a whole new race to play.

so, why not the Man’ari Eredar? ( i dont want a “because its easier” answer. )

5 Likes

You mean like Night Warrior for Night Elves and Darkfallen for a few different Elves??

1 Like

Because it’s easier to add two new skintones and two new eye colors than make a whole new race with racials and even more customization and questlines.

21 Likes

Because skins was always the better decision but it’s too late to go back on the ARs.

21 Likes

Technically draenei look more like Eredar since they weren’t originally red

1 Like

Nightborne shouldn’t have been reduced to a skin. They’re too perfect.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it was officially stated - perhaps it was? - but I’ve looked at ARs as BFA’s lasting ‘contribution’ to WoW. MoP was Monk, WoD was garrisons, Legion and artifacts, BFA and ARs, and shadowlands was the covenant abilities. DF may be dragonriding, if it hangs with us outside of the isles - or at least the drake customization ability (though we’ve not finished DF)…

All this to add that I doubt we will ever see new ARs added after BFA and only receive either outright new races or customizations for existing races. The concept of BFA was all about forging alliances - on both Horde and the Alliance - so that made sense why we were recruiting ARs then.

5 Likes

Hiring voice actors? Making new racials? Creating a psuedo capital? Making new mount and heritage armor.

The answer is cost. Its cheaper to make Darkfallen and Manari than it is Maghar or Mechagnomes

5 Likes

Man’ari, contrary to popular belief, are not Eredar. They are often called them, but Eredar refers to the entire race itself, including Man’ari and the Draenei. Man’ari only refers to the Eredar corrupted by the Burning Legion.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s why I said what I said

1 Like

We can only speculate.

That having been said, my guess is, Blizzard listened to a lot of feedback from players about Allied Races in 9/10 cases being so similar to their base race, that they may as well have been customization options. So, even where you have grounds to give a race different appearances, racials, heritage armor, etc… if it’s the same model, Blizzard is just slapping the customizations onto the base race these days.

What would be nice is a clean-up patch where we see Allied Races likewise simmered into their parent races, although that leaves the Horde up a race with Vulpera (not that such would matter if you could just pick your faction on character creation I suppose, something else they may as well do at this point).

2 Likes

I firmly believe they should have been ARs as well.

2 Likes

You definitely should’ve been a skin.

Draenei explicitly do not call themselves Eredar due to its corrupt connotations. You’re not strictly wrong, but like nobody is going around calling themselves Eredar.

1 Like

Um didn’t alot of people quit in blizzard recently? Not to mention all the work and assets it takes to make an allied race or new race in general. People don’t like how allied races worked out, at least a vocal few. And they do need to attract more people to play. Manari is basically playable tieflings.

1 Like

I would like to swap all my characters to horde myself, they can just combine some of the races then and let you pick your racials like they do for zandalari. It would definetly be better for example for mechagnomes to have access to all the neat hair colors and hair styles normal gnomes have. And 60 character limit sort of keeps less popular races from being played imo with 13 classes rn. I have so many rogues and hunters. Only 1 dracthyr and 2 demonhunters. The class limits also impact that I guess.

2 Likes

Because allied races weren’t a great concept. The extra races were, just not the allied part. (And I realize I’m on an allied race lol)

Anything new they put in should be just a new race option with no unlock.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s easier to just add the customizations without adding new racial traits. They would need a new Horde allied race too with the same issues.

I think it’s just this simple.

2 Likes

Truth be told, three of those four could have simply been customization options for the core race and been better off for it. The Void elves get a pass purely because they are Alliance.

They are part of the Legion. In fact I could see one of them being the defacto leader for the Legion right now.

1 Like