Gearing for cloth wearers

Normally, i don’t complain. It doesn’t do any good because people have their opinions and most are bound to them, unwilling to change or even listen to a debate. This is one of those times i’m going to speak my mind a little bit, and yes i expect to be bombarded with replies telling me how wrong i am. But maybe i’ll reach a couple of people out there and they will pass it on to others. I can only hope.
Been running dungeons lately as my only source of leveling as a cloth wearing class. I’ve been lucky for a long time, but now i’m at a level where i’m never getting any gear because Druids and Pallys are rolling Need on every piece of cloth gear that drops. Can they equip it, yes. That’s the way the game was designed, so i can’t fault them. My complaint is that as a cloth wearing class, i can’t equip leather, mail, or plate. I’m limited in what gear i can use. Pallys on the other hand have the run of four different types of gear.
Am i being salty? Some will think so. But i’m the type of person that passes rolls on gear that isn’t an exceptional upgrade for myself so that others can upgrade their toons too. I rarely roll Need. But lately, i not only have to “compete” with other cloth wearing classes for gear, but for those that can use gear that i can’t. how would i be perceived if i were to start rolling needs on leather, mail, and plate just to disenchant it if i won it (not even sure that i can roll need on anything other than cloth because i’ve never tried it. once i see it’s something my class can’t use, i wait to see if anyone else rolls Need. if everyone else rolls Greed, i may or may not roll on it for disenchanting)
The entire situation came to a boil after running BRD and watching a druid take three pieces of gear that would have been upgrades for myself. There was even one piece that they couldn’t equip because of level restriction. It was very off putting to be the top dps and not getting anything (yes, i know, i got exp…) in return. I was the only cloth wearer in the group and was kind of looking forward to maybe picking up an upgrade. after it was all said and done, i really didn’t want to run another dungeon with the group if i have to compete for gear drops with classes that can roll on multiple gear types.
The worst offense is watching someone roll Need on an upgrade that was class specific that they couldn’t use.
i’m going to continue to be as polite as possible to everyone i group with. I’ll continue to be very selective in what gear that i roll for in the chance that someone else can get upgrades instead of stacking my bags with enchanting materials. that being said, i’m still in the belief that people should be more considerate of snatching up EVERY drop just because they CAN wear it, even though it’s not your primary armor type.
And just so everyone knows, i’m not going to argue with anyone that has a toxic opinion. just sharing my beliefs. as a wise, old man once said: “Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.”

5 Likes

It’s crazy I know, but it’s called cloth gear has some amazing healing pieces. Shocking!

And often times cloth is BiS for healing.

100%.

So, you expect others to play the game as you do?

Needing three times in one run isn’t what I would call “rarely” needing.

First, being top DPS in a BRD run is nothing to gloat about. Second, if you want different loot rules, simply start your own group.

Then why come to the forums? In the hopes that people will bow down to you, and praise you?

It sucks but there is only one protection at the moment really. Make your own group and set your own loot rules. If people agree to the rules and break them then Blizzard can do something about it, otherwise you are kind of screwed.

I never said that i rolled Need three times. I only rolled Need once. After i saw the Druid roll need, i knew how it was going to be for the rest of the dungeon. Could i have left, yes. But i usually try to finish every dungeon i start out of the principle that my issue wasn’t with the other three members of the group.

No, i’m hoping that someone will read the post and take more consideration than rolling for every piece of gear that drops. Maybe entice other people to share a little. I don’t need praise cause i’m not that insecure that i need to be told that i’m decent. And i surely don’t have to put other people down to feel better about myself. Hope you feel better now, though.

1 Like

I agree it’s dumb but it doesn’t change until cataclysm where they finally added the bonus for wearing the armor class you are supposed to.

It’s been a thing since classic vanilla though with pallys wearing dresses which was a huge turn off from playing the class tbh

i’m more of a follower than a leader. Hence the reason i don’t play a tank or healer. I don’t want anyone to be dependent upon me to show up. I’d rather just kinda go with the flow. But it would be nice if other people were considerate. I know it’s asking a lot out of some people. Some people are going to roll Need on every piece of green gear that drops until they get booted.

My alt is a mage and when priest/healer pieces drop (cloth rings/necklaces) and if there is such another in our group i tend to pass unless of course its really really good and I consider the other persons gear (aka look at what they have on) and base my rolls/not rolls on that.

That being said, I look at it, i’m not going to be 40,50,60,70 forever… gear gets noticeable better at 67+ and any gear not level 80 gear is completely replaceable within any given moment of time.

It’s design features like this that adds flavor to the game and keeps it from being a factory game like retail.

Call it a flaw if you want, can argue that Daze as a mechanic is also a flaw for example, but the game wouldn’t be the same without the “flaws” reminding you that you’re not walking on a linear path.

1 Like

Would it be flawed to roll Need on gear that i can’t equip for disenchanting supplies? I need to enchant my gear, so roll Need on any leather, mail, or plate gear? (like i said, i don’t even know if i could roll Need on gear that i can’t equip. Another part of that is that i’ll never find out either).

You can call it what you want, but the ability to affect others negatively like that creates a social ecosystem that is guided by players rather than living in a confined environment carefully designed by game developers.

The goal shouldn’t be to prevent players from being mean to one another, it should be to provide the tools for players to respond in kind or to ignore when a player is mean to them. Just like how in open world PvP, you can always call a friend or come back with your main, something layers makes more difficult for example.

Rewards players for being helpful, don’t just prevent them from being mean. If you want a perfectly curated kindergarten MMORPG, that’s what retail basically is. No one can hurt you on retail.

2 Likes

which is the point of my post, to shed light on a situation that most players don’t even think about because it isn’t negatively affecting them. maybe if people consider before they act, situations would be better. a stretch, maybe, but still a possibility. sometimes NOT doing something just because you CAN has better consequences than instant gratification.

4 Likes

Just let them live with the consequences of their actions when people put them on ignore and don’t invite them to future groups.

That’s the beauty of classic.

It sounds like you’re new to this game and genre.

Until Cata when they added bonuses for wearing the same type of armor, you can wear anything thats better stat wise if you have the ability to equip it.

Your opinion is toxic because it lacks the fundemental understanding of how the game actually works.

Also ffs learn to make paragraphs.

oh, i usually don’t argue, but the same people that play WotLK usually play Retail too. not all, but i would be willing to say the majority. the only difference would be that there’s an added benefit in gearing in your classes’ appropriate type of gear.

Just kind of a tough spot but it is what it is. I have now fought through three expansions of plate wearers going after my only options so they can gain minor dps gains over their plate options. I feel ya op, it really sucks.

3 Likes

Yes, because they added a bonus in Cataclysm when all your gear is of the type for your class and then added personal loot in MoP.

Which meant ninjaing was basically a thing of the past.

With Dragonflight they actually seem to have realized that perhaps it wasn’t a good idea and are reintroducing group loot, maybe they learned from Classic, who knows.

been here since Beta.

a) didn’t play either Classic or BC Classic. So it’s been 14 years since i last played WotLK, there about. Coming from last playing retail after BFA, i don’t remember nor recall every little nuance and game mechanic. and seeing as it hasn’t been prevalent until the last few levels, i wasn’t paying to close attention.

i am making paragraphs. i’m just not adding an extra space in there such as yourself. not everyone in every part of the world uses the same format. you do realize that some people read right to left, correct? you may say po-tay-toe, i may say po-tah-toe. neither is incorrect.

Yeah it sucks, as a Mail wearer I avoid rolling on Leather unless no one need. People should at least ask before rolling need on armor type they don’t usually wear.

2 Likes

Dude, you’re getting upset because people are rolling on gear they need (benefit of the doubt here because they’re not here to defend themselves) just because you have to compete with them. Tell me you’re spoiled without telling me you’re spoiled.

I didnt get that from his post. It is an issue I was in a group 72-75 level range on my boomkin and we had a priest and DK in the group… a sweet cloth piece item dropped and the DK rolled need on it and said he needs to heal too so we forced him to wear it (why we didnt kick him at that point is beyond me)… but he promised to only roll on stuff he will use…

last boss fight, DRUID leather pants drop… the f’bag rolled 100 need on them and i actually really needed them. I sent him a tell of course which went no where… the next day the ^&SD^& sends me a tell asking to heal for his group i sent him a fat finger and /ignore

So yeah, there are jerk’s that like to pee in everyone cherrios in the game sounds like this guy might be in the level range that has a few

2 Likes