Gear is rating gated for SL

Rating was diffrent in BC so not counting that.

Once again, like I cannot fathom why I constantly have to post the same thing. Cataclysm only weapons were rating locked, the Elite set was as well how it was strictly cosmetic.

The same kind of applied in wrath too, except there was I believe a better set bonus.

Also even when the rating locks were in it was NEVER all gear at XXXX, it was always these pieces at 1200, these at 1400, and shoulders at 2k weapon at 2200.

Want to lock weapons behind 2400, no problem. Want to lock all gear behind 2400 thats a terrible badly designed system.

As has already been linked, the devs themselves have stated that rating locked gear is bad for the game…

“Gear matters and gear is awarded proportional to your rating achieved in the arena just as it is in PvE content. This is their philosophy and this is the way it is going to be for Shadowlands.”

Once again, despite what Ion mr Anti PVP, and Pro Raiding thinks, thats simply not how Arena Works. Its not a raid, it doesn’t work the same way AT all. its not even close to comparable.

4 Likes

My thoughts on this tend to shift from one side to the next, but ultimately I think:

1. This pvp gearing system is miles better than what we have in BFA.
  2. The biggest concern (Imo) we’re facing is raid trinkets being viable in pvp.
  3. The pvp trinket set bonus needs a much larger buff. The bonus should be revised to increase damage done to players, and reduce damage taken from players. This is easy to implement, and has no stat tax implications we may see down the road.
  4. We still don’t have enough information as to how the upgrade / progression system will work. That said, the range we’re looking at is 213 @ 1600 - 226 @ 2100 (potentially 2400, though we have seen a datamined 226 at 2100). If 2100 is the cap, rather than 2400, I think it’s a reasonable range for a gear ilvl progression. If this provides greater incentive for PvP’ers to engage in rated conquest, I think that’s great. Q’ing rated, particularly arena, can be a really rewarding and competitive experience if you can stick with it and you find some friends you legitimately enjoy playing with.
  5. If versatility ends up being a highly valuable stat for many classes in pve, PvE’rs may very well be required to pvp. If this is the case, it’s likely this system won’t last long.
  6. PvP set bonuses on armor would also be nice to have again, even if they’re not too huge. It always felt good to get that 2nd or 4th piece of gear. They don’t have to be class specific, as this would just add yet another layer of balancing blizzard would have to handle, but just nominal boosts to damage done or reductions to damage taken would be nice. Still, it’s likely this won’t happen, as blizzard seems set on homogenizing pvp gear with pve. Primary issue with that is the viability of versatility across the two elements of gameplay

How about with the ilvl boost from WoD? They are already adding something similar with PvP trinket bonus.

We need PVP gear separated again. It clearly does not work to have them tied together. The three worst expansions for gearing in PVP are the ones where “gear is gear”.

That’s exactly what it is.

That just moves the wall, the problem isnt fixed.

One thing we can say, after the constant defense of this system with “Is always been that way”

When it was rating locked, it was piece by piece. That would be at least more acceptable that what we have currently. Lets follow Elite set monikers or something.

• Combatant (1400 - 1599): 226 wrist and waist
  • Challenger (1600 - 1799): 226 hands, legs, feet
  • Rival (1800 - 2099): 226 head, shoulder, chest
  • Duelist (2100 - 2399): 226 cloak, Weapon, Rings

That spreads the wall out, so there not this sudden jump of a Large difference.

And dont tell me “tHeRe iS LIttLe dIfFrEncE” thats simply not true.

I fought a full 475/85 gushing DH the other day on my 460/5 mostly with 480 azerite and some 475s. His gushing did almost 3x as much damage per tick as mine, all of his abilities did 1.5x as much as mine. The difference is very large.

They could do this system easy too, go back to the old ways. Make the elite set actual gear again, and upgradeable to 226, or be 226, the regular conquest gear stops at 216 or whatever.

You can buy elite pieces when you reach the rating, it unlocks the mog by doing so, like the old system.

2 Likes

It’s not a large difference.

K.

Except once again. It is.

3 Likes

Did you struggle in Legion?

We actually have no idea what it is. You’re basing your thoughts on some data mined stuff which is very unreliable. I fully expect it to be like bfa rating locked.

Yea but the highest gear unlocked at 2100.

Nope, I am actually one of the few people that were okay with Legions systems.

The ilvl difference will match that.

Again, that does nothing but move the wall.

there is a reason, that the old rating system were removed, and they were not reach X rating to get all gear of Power level Y.

1 Like

No it wont lol.

Legion was 1% to all stats for every 10 ilvls. The difference between heroic and mythic gear, is MUCH Greater than 1% in SL.

With the ilvl squish, it’s going to be nothing like BfA.

Yea because there was over 100 ilvl differences.

No there wasnt lol.

You think there was 100 ilvls difference between Herioc and Mythic raid gear? You need to put the pipe down…

When you dinged max level, yes there was.

Who is talking about dinging max level?

Im stating right now in BFA, someone with Mythic Ilvl Gear, does 2x as much Damage as I do in mostly Heroic Ilvl Gear. (Granted my example is using corruptions that scale on Ilvl)

Im not talking about fresh boosts vs Geared toons…

Well right now there’s a lot more than ilvl in place.