Gear in pvp

ilvl matters more for raider io and pve not so much for pvp.

Yeah, even the ones based on percentage of health scale with item level because of increased STA.

1 Like

It is going to be interesting to see how many PvE players are going to still be doing PvP in Shadowlands… well, at least until they gear up their PvE gear again… because things aren’t looking good for PvP gearing right now…

1 Like

Completely agree with OP. If a player with lower iLvl than mine attacks me he/she should automatically die. i have spent day/night to get this gear, arrange my daily life around the raid timings, I should be compensated for it. Blizz has really let us down. Hope Blizz takes care of this so called ‘skill’ in PvP.

I want gear to matter but it should be available to everyone no matter what end game content you do. Like if I could grind Bg’s for good gear, even if it took 3-4 times as long as pve or arena, id be okay if we end up at the same gear level in the end.
The game wouldn’t be as fun to me if there was no gear to collect. I like that part of the game and would be sad if it was removed.

3 Likes

This. One million times this. FFS we already had it. It wasn’t even hard to obtain. You could decently transition from PvE to PvP within a few weeks. It was just better

This actually made me think of something - with the general reception to WOD being poor, I wonder if blizzz took it as a blanket consensus, thus moving away from any of the good things that the space may have offered (pvp gear in this case). Could explain the deterioration of that aspect of the game.

same here.

agree 100%

Gear shouldn’t matter at all. Though there are some cool engineering effects

What blizz can do is have several pre configured character templates for players to choose, as well as a customizable template with a stat budget for those who want more customization

If gear didn’t matter in battlegrounds (and the fundamental gameplay was fun) I would stay subscribed a lot more

A good decision Rudger IMO would be to make arena competitive in the sense that everyone can equip the same gear and thus gear won’t matter but skill will.

Then with legendaries, corruptions or whatever other concept they come up with can be left for BGs which are done for fun, but don’t really matter with rating or in the grand scheme of things.

:fire: :fire: :fire: :100: :100: :100: :100:

1 Like

I just got taken down on my feral druid by a fully geared mythic plus player. I came on here to rant. You are at a real disadvantage against a player in Mythic PVE gear in a PVP bg. It’s absolute BS.

Never mind I got a load of fish in my winners chest…

3 Likes

Gear should absolutely matter…WoW is based around grinding gear and the associate power increase that comes with that both in PvE & PvP

There are a ton of games out there that cater to the ‘NASCAR Concept’ - all gear/equipment is basically identical so ‘Skill’ is the determining factor - WoW just isn’t and should never be one of them.

If there is a strong demand to prove absolute skill above all else then a Template based PvP bracket with unique titles as rewards would make sense.

Someone mentioned grinding out top level gear and I agree that is a good approach as well - my faction may suck at BGs so it takes me 15 BGs vs 10 to get a top gear piece.

I think old Honor system worked that way - could just grind for gear - wanna fight bots then have some sort of action in the BG tied to Honor received.

2 Likes

PvE has always been about that… and frankly, it works. PvP has proven to not work as well. Season after season, year after year, it’s always the same. You grind gear to get to bring your power level up to the rest of the pack, then you just get to play and enjoy the game. You either overcome that gear hurdle, which gets larger and larger as the expansion progresses, or you don’t.

Perhaps as an open question to you, as well as others around here, think about your most positive and favored memories of PvP. Did they involve grinding gear out, or did they involve some battle or fight you had with someone somewhere?

For me, there certainly were some memorable moments, at the time, where I got some piece of gear I had been working towards. However, looking back, it feels hollow because that gear didn’t make me stand out from the crowd… it just made me finally able to feel like I could keep pace with that crowd. The bulk of my treasured memories come from fights I’ve had. Truth be told, a lot of my standout PvP memories come from when the forum crew used to do War Games with each other.

Those were some fun times :slight_smile:

Anyway, my point is… what is more engaging from a gameplay point of view? A relatively short gearing process that is usually a blip on your character’s journey, or the actual battles and content you engage in along that journey?

3 Likes

It’s gear. The way the game is designed gear gives multiple advantages.

As far as corruption goes, a gushing wound on a 475 piece scales better in damage than a 450 piece. There’s no question, gear is the deciding factor. Skill comes into it to an extent, but someone who has decked out corruption and on higher pieces will just demolish you.

I feel like it should go back to a time when PvE gear and PvP gear was separated. Bring back PvP resilience and proper vendors. Make PvP gear worthless in PvE and PvE gear worthless in PvP. No need to cater to PvE fans, they already don’t have lives to sit in raids for hours, they can spend a few extra to gear up again through PvP if they REALLY want to PvP.

7 Likes

I think the issue is how teams are filled in random BGs rather than equipment. It’s an RPG, you need to be able to advance your character but if you make it a participation trophy you promote not participating and botting. Unfortunately participation has fallen to the point that I can’t imagine they’ll invest in real solutions, the best we can hope for is a system like the old one which established floors and ceilings to prevent these big gear differentials but the whole point of randomized gear I believe is so it doesn’t interfere with PvE’s indeterminate gear system.

Problem in an even more fundamental sense is that they’re trying to force bigger grinds to participate in all aspects of the game, I guess trying to force people to stay subbed but what they’re doing is driving away players who feel they cannot participate in end game if they’re new or have taken a break.

level 10 honor why come on a pvp thread and act like you pvp

this I can agree with but they wont because all their pvers will QQ