GDKP - Is it still allowed?

Sorry, I freely admit that I don’t have first hand knowledge of the RMT process. :wink:

Because you are part of the community? Fewer players running dungeons with other appropriate level characters (because of paid boosting) affects those other players looking for groups? Because fewer people joining raiding guilds (because of GDKP) affects guilds’ ability to recruit and fill rosters? Because bots affect the economy and others trying to farm resources?

This is not a single-player game.

2 Likes

That’s like blaming laundromats for money laundering because some people found a way to abuse them. Ultimately you can’t blame people for coming up with a legitimate/legal loot system and the unlawful people for finding a way to abuse it.

I never said it was a single player game.

You seem to think the players need to stop doing things they want to do, that are within the rules as given, because bots can take advantage of it.

Why do the players need to step up and do these things when the company running the game should be the one investing resources to ban cheaters?

This is not a single player game. And you know what? Boosting and GDKP runs aren’t single player activities. So that point is meaningless. You are looking for a reason a group of people shouldn’t do the thing you don’t like.

1 Like

As long as there is demand for gold, there will be bots farming gold to meet that demand. GDKP runs probably do a lot to drive that demand upwards.

That being said, GDKP runs are fine, and completely within the rules…even if they cause more people to RMT gold. But the solution isn’t to stop the completely legitimate practice of doing GDKP runs, its to find/catch/punish those who gain gold illegitimately.

2 Likes

Exactly. Punish the cheaters. Don’t punish players who haven’t broken any rules.

The blame lies with developers that can’t keep cheaters in check. Pushing that blame onto the players is laughable.

Your whole argument falls apart given that in scenario 1 the guy probably isn’t going to play if he can’t buy his way to 60s and epics. If he doesnt want to raid or do challenging content and can’t circumvent it then why would he do it legitimately? Either way he isn’t going to be in the game.

Also you ignore the fact that in scenario 2 where he fuels the gold farmer companies that he likely receives a ban someday. Maybe not today or tomorrow or the next day, but it will eventually catch up to them.

I appareciate the core argument of GDKP and paying for level boosts isn’t great for the game in a social way and I personally don’t participate in boosting as I’d rather promote what I consider an organic way of playing the game, but Blizzard should not regulate either aspect when it’s being done legitimately. If the buyers are cheating by purchasing gold they should be punished for that, activities that make gold valuable should not be regulated.

What’s next, telling people they can’t sell flasks, elixirs, or herbs because lazy people are buying gold to fund raid consumables?

1 Like

I would say it’s more like selling drugs to addicts who then rob other people to pay you. Or buying drugs that came from Mexican cartels, which puts money into the hands of the cartels, who then murder people. Neither activity makes you a robber or a murderer, but your actions indirectly helped enable others to rob and murder.

Like I said, it’s all interrelated.

1 Like

No, its like saying a restaurant should be shut down because some drug money could be used to buy a hamburger.

1 Like

I agree that people are weak, and it’s up to Blizzard to fix issues and make it so that players don’t have the option. But it wouldn’t hurt if some people contributed by refusing to participate in certain activities based upon moral grounds. Especially when we all know that Blizzard is not going to do anything, because they are making a killing off of Classic precisely because they haven’t expended resources on it.

This is the problem, right here.

What exactly is immoral about being boosted in a video game?

What exactly is immoral about deciding who gets loot based on how much gold they are willing to pay for it?

There is no immorality here. You are not a more righteous person because you choose not to boost, nor are you one because you choose to use DKP instead of gold.

You have a vision of what classic means, and you consider anyone who doesn’t follow that vision impure, or incorrect, or immoral. Guess what buddy? That’s all in your head.

You’re not more moral because you spend 5 times as long running a dungeon.

Uh, no. Selling or buying drugs is illegal period so you’re already in the wrong by doing so, it doesn’t matter if the cartel is involved or if addicts are stealing to pay for their drugs you get caught and you’re going to pay the consequences. GDKP and dungeon boosts are legitimate player interactions that you and I can take part of without fear of punishment provided we aren’t doing anything nefarious under the hood.

I understand the core argument that you’re making that with these activities available gold is a way to pay your way to a decked out character, but if you think targeting activities that make gold meaningful will curb cheaters then you have a serious lack of understanding as to how cheaters operate and how they will adapt even if you do find a way to curb a particular activity.

1 Like

Hey, Pollz. :slight_smile:

I would argue that it’s less arbitrary than that. GDKP runs are marketed toward those who don’t want to have to overcome the normal/intended obstacles to obtain the loot. And these are the same people, IMO, that are most prone to buying gold. That’s why I used the addict analogy. The provider of GDKP runs knows, or should know, that a large portion of their customers are going to be buying gold to pay for the loot. The target market is people looking to bypass obstacles and cut corners to obtain the same rewards that others get for doing it the normal/intended way.

And on that note, how would you feel if all the raid epics that you love to show off in front of the AH were available for purchase from a vendor for gold or were BoE? :slight_smile: Why do you think Blizzard didn’t design it that way?

Citation needed.

Ignoring dungeon boosting there’s a ton of raw gold farming available in classic and in 2020 the information is widely available on how to take advantage of it with certain classes and outside of raw gold farming lots of people can legitimately be running dungeon for herbs and arcane crystals. It’s not the responsibility of other players to determine if their buyer’s gold is clean or not.

Different people have different morals, different cultures. And yeah, it’s all just each person’s opinion on what they deem to be good or bad. I understand that in modern gaming culture that cheesing your way past content is not only something to not be ashamed of, but it’s something a lot of people take great pride in. But I feel differently.

Without players, there would be no one to sell this gold to. When a demand is created (and gdkps create a demand for large stockpiles of gold), rmt goldsellers/botters profit. It also artificially inflates the prices of nearly everything, making it more and more difficult to keep up if you arent using illegitimate means of obtaining gold.

So do thunderfuries, epic mounts, edgemasters, etc.

You can’t just start removing things because they give gold value. Ban the people who cheat, don’t punish players who are acting within the rules.

Because the cheaters don’t care about the rules.

Its all relative, though. I’m not sure how the concept of inflation and its relation to botting and rmt goldfarming behaviors is confusing here. Edgemasters are only 6k gold because botting and rmt behaviors have injected so much excess gold into the economy.

I also think you GREATLY underestimate just how many players are buying gold at this point. It has been left unchecked for so long, banning individual players wont do much to stop it from snowballing further unless you also ban the behaviors that caused the rmt purchases in the first place.

GDKP is the best for pugs as it allows you to either get the item you want or get gold out of it. Everybody wins and nobody leaves empty handed. Rolling for loot is a braindead system. RMT gold buying is a completely different issue. Nobody needs to buy gold to get something out of a GDKP run

I mean… again, why is that the player’s fault?

I’m seeing plenty of reasons to demand better service from blizzard.

If you punish people when they are playing within the rules, even if it’s to get at the cheaters, you will eventually end up with more cheaters because playing within the rules is going to get you punished.