GDKP - Is it still allowed?

Is GDKP still allowed ?

I know when it started in wrath it was perfectly normal and I remember seeing a blue post allowing the raid system.

I have been hearing/reading of people claiming they’re being banned for attending GDKP. I would love a confirmation that this system is still allowed as a form of loot system for raiding.

(Those claiming they were banned due to GDKP could be lying and I feel that they are but it wouldn’t hurt to have confirmation on this loot system.)

Thanks!

3 Likes

It’s fine, they were either buying/selling gold, scamming, or are false positives from the recent bans because GDKP activity can look pretty sus at a glance.

3 Likes

GDKP is still allowed yes

2 Likes

The problem is people use it for gold laundering for botting. I knew several people in wraith that did that, (all were banned obviously) but as long as you keep on your toes and ensure there is no mention of anything but gold you should be fine.

1 Like

GDKP is fine. Just don’t break the rules with it.

They’re not disallowed, but GDKP runs (and paid boosting services) are one of the big drivers of the gold selling market, which is responsible for most of the bots flooding servers. If you participate in such activities, then you are a part of the problem.

11 Likes

True, that’s why people get false banned from GDKP have very small chance to get their account back. Even u’re unbanned, is it worth to get risk of 2 3 weeks offline to wait the respond. Dang, i think i stay away from it from now.

it probably shouldnt be, because its existence is fueling the rmt/bot armageddon currently infecting every corner of the game, but currently it is allowed.

I’m seeing this argument more and more recently.

How, exactly, does this encourage the gold selling market, beyond being something expensive to spend gold on?

It seems no different than buying expensive epics (edgemasters, cloudkeepers, etc) to me.

The gist of your argument seems to be “It makes gold valuable, so it encourages gold buying”. Am I missing some nuance here?

4 Likes

I guess players should get free mounts at level 40 and 60 since mounts encourage gold buying and botting…

And thunderfury needs to be banned, too. Very expensive. Encourages gold buying.

Again, unless his argument has some nuance I missed.

4 Likes

gdkp encourages gold farming.
gold farming encourages solo playing.
solo playing leads to garrisons.
Garrisons lead to hate.
hate leads to the the worst expansion

i actually dislike the idea of gdkp because i have no alt farmer. and the only excuse i get is “you’ll get gold at the end of the run.”
So…I don’t want gold. If I wanted gold, I would make a gold farming alt and not a healer priest. /face to palm

4 Likes

That’s the gist of it. Like paid boosting services, GDKP runs give people a pay-to-win option that doesn’t exist without them.

Also, as with paid boosting services, which reduce the incentive for people to group normally with appropriate level characters for dungeons, GDKP runs have a similar effect by reducing the incentive for people to join raiding guilds and become part of a team. The result, IMO, is an erosion of the traditional/intended way of playing the game, in favor of pay-to-win. It’s just not good.

Also, according to the Wowhead article below, a lot of these GDKP runs are actually conducted by people who are getting paid by the gold selling companies. Apparently, this is very common in China.

Also, I would argue that the type of person who would take extreme shortcuts to get gear instead of just joining a raiding guild and doing it the old fashioned way is probably also the type of person who would take other shortcuts, like buying gold with a credit card rather than farming it. And GDKP runs give those people a way to get that gear for real money. So it’s a marriage made in heaven for unscrupulous individuals as well as a boon for gold selling companies and their armies of farming bots.

7 Likes

Right, that’s exactly what it sounded like.

You are using gold buyers/botters as an excuse to try and disallow the practices you personally do not agree with.

Thank you for being honest. I can respect that.

6 Likes

What happened to people in a Raid just /roll for an item they need?

4 Likes

So don’t join a GDKP run?

1 Like

I’m not allowed to dislike something?

4 Likes

Yes, personally, I don’t like it. But I don’t have any expectations that Blizzard would ever do anything about GDKP, nor paid boosting services.

My original comment merely said that individuals participating in these schemes should be aware that by doing so they are contributing to the gold selling and bot problem. All of these pay-to-win schemes are interrelated and help drive the gold selling market. And it’s the gold selling companies that are flooding servers with the bots that everyone is complaining about.

3 Likes

I mean again, by that logic anyone interacting with any gold is contributing to the gold selling problem.

You’re basically saying if you do anything valuable with your gold, you’re part of the problem. It’s a ludicrous position, in my opinion. You can of course disagree, but I think it’s perfectly reasonable to call out how silly it is.

4 Likes

So imagine that you are an unscrupulous player. You don’t really want to play the game. You don’t want to interact with others. You don’t want to defeat challenging content. You just want to log on and get epics handed to you. And you have real money that you’re willing to spend to make that happen.

Scenario 1: There are no paid boosting services nor GDKP runs available. So that player’s credit card won’t buy him much. He can buy gold, yeah, but he is forced to level by questing and doing dungeons with other appropriate level characters or by mindlessly grinding mobs. He gets to 60, and he can use his bought gold to buy a few crafted pieces and BoE epics, but in order to get the gear that drops in raids, he has to join a raiding guild, become part of a team, and raid.

Scenario 2: There ARE paid boosting services available and GDKP runs. So he doesn’t have to do any of the above. He uses his bought gold to pay the boosting service to level his character while he sits afk watching youtube. When he gets to 60, he then joins GDKP runs and tags along and uses his bought gold to gear up in raid epics, spending more and more real money to do so. He has become a cash cow for the gold selling companies.

Call it silly if you want, but the boosting services and the GDKP runs DO create a big incentive for unscrupulous people to buy gold with real money. Is it the only incentive? No, but it’s still an incentive. And the gold that the gold selling companies are selling is largely obtained by using farming bots.

8 Likes